HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise604 View Post
So I've been told lol. I can't imagine that though honestly. It sounds so horrible that I can't. Vancouver road planners seem like they were f***ing retarded when designing the major arterial routes through the city. So I wanted to stay South of Fraser as best I could with the 10 I picked, but I could of chosen 10 in Vancouver alone.

Knight/57th (forbid left turns period, or build the damn lanes already)
12 Av East/West (Let's take a major, major, major 4 lane route, and allow parking on it, so that it is single lane each way. Idiots!)
4th @ Burrard (forbid left turns onto Burrard SB, but allow them at the next light 50 m. past, solves nothing at all, it backs up to Burrard)
49th@ Main/Fraser/Knight/Victoria (no left turn lanes, they made 2 lanes instead, people risk their lives to fly by on the right)
* Main @ 49th (too small/busy)
Boundary @ 1st Av (too busy for no real left turn lane, plenty of room to make one)
1st Av @ Nanaimo/Renfrew/Victoria/Commercial/Clark (horrific small/narrow intersections, the ones that have left turn lanes, can fit 3 cars)
Main NB @ 2nd WB (left turn arrow might help, just a thought)
Granville @ King Ed (no left turn lane, a s***ty left turn signal though, same as Oak @ Park)
Granville @ 16th (build a left turn lane before it starts backing up into Marpole)
49th @ Knight. Has had a left turn bay for years or at least I've always remembered a lane being there. What it didn't have was the advanced left turn light. That only just recently came in though. After they finally built the left turn bays on Knight.

You may not believe what I said about Knight. But I've lived near Knight & 41st my entire life and I know it to be true.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
That has always been a mind-blower for me, too. I remember when I lived in Vancouver (taking 12th as infrequently as possible), thinking ... "this can't be for real!" .... except that it is .... OMG
12th is bad, the worst part is that stretch around Fraser-Main with those huge trees crowding into the roadway. I'm all for boulevard trees, but those should be relocated back into the yard easements.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
12th is bad, the worst part is that stretch around Fraser-Main with those huge trees crowding into the roadway. I'm all for boulevard trees, but those should be relocated back into the yard easements.
Uh ok. You do realize of course that there is practically no room to move those trees back.

Unless of course you would like to remove the side walk or in some cases have the tree in someones yard. Also the fact that moving a tree of that size is going to be difficult, without digging up someones property.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 8:45 PM

I LOVE that stretch of 12th Ave... it's a testament of how much skill Vancouver drivers have. I like to see how close can I get to the trees without scratching paint off my sideview mirrors, especially when I have out of towners riding in my car.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 9:56 PM

I have to ask than, what's worse:

Allowing parking on 12th Av EB/WB
Allowing parking on Boundary SB between Kingway - 49th
Allowing parking on Venables EB/WB

All 3 are mind blowing to say the least.

I doubt there's any room to move the trees. They don't bug me so much though, the only thing I despise as much as the parking, is the right turn from EB 12th to SB Fraser.

That's right about 49th, that's what I meant to say, but the turn from 49th has no designated left turn lanes.

The thing about Vancouver that is really sad, is if they don't want any more lanes into the city, than start making the roads efficient to use. I know this would seriously affect business for merchants, but there really should be no parking period on the major roads during the day (6am-8pm). If anything there should be designated parking lanes (24/7), but I never see this changing. If I had my way, DunbarArbutus/Granville/Oak/Cambie/Victoria/Commercial/Nanaimo/Renfrew/Rupert/Boundary and Marine/49th/41st/Kingsway/16th/12th/Broadway/1st/Venables/Hastings/Powell would have very restricted parking regulations. Just my personal opinion!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 7:48 AM

Quote:
I have to ask than, what's worse:

Allowing parking on 12th Av EB/WB
Allowing parking on Boundary SB between Kingway - 49th
Allowing parking on Venables EB/WB

All 3 are mind blowing to say the least.

I doubt there's any room to move the trees. They don't bug me so much though, the only thing I despise as much as the parking, is the right turn from EB 12th to SB Fraser.

That's right about 49th, that's what I meant to say, but the turn from 49th has no designated left turn lanes.

The thing about Vancouver that is really sad, is if they don't want any more lanes into the city, than start making the roads efficient to use. I know this would seriously affect business for merchants, but there really should be no parking period on the major roads during the day (6am-8pm). If anything there should be designated parking lanes (24/7), but I never see this changing. If I had my way, DunbarArbutus/Granville/Oak/Cambie/Victoria/Commercial/Nanaimo/Renfrew/Rupert/Boundary and Marine/49th/41st/Kingsway/16th/12th/Broadway/1st/Venables/Hastings/Powell would have very restricted parking regulations. Just my personal opinion!
When you talked about 49th. Were you referring to my post about Knight and 49th. Because there are designated left turn lanes at that intersection. But you are correct that there are no left turn lanes at Victoria, Fraser, and Main along 49th.

I do agree that the parking restriction does need to be extended. Your 6am-8pm would be a very good start. I'd actually make it 24/7. One reason is the less space people have to put their cars the less cars they can have.

But of course along the major arterial where stores are. You'd have business crying that they are going to go bankrupt because no one can just stop in front of their store to get what they want

But I still wouldn't add lanes. I would though make the intersections more efficient by installing left turn bays. This is happening, but at a snails pace.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I LOVE that stretch of 12th Ave... it's a testament of how much skill Vancouver drivers have. I like to see how close can I get to the trees without scratching paint off my sideview mirrors, especially when I have out of towners riding in my car.
It makes the fat person suck their stomach in

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Uh ok. You do realize of course that there is practically no room to move those trees back.

Unless of course you would like to remove the side walk or in some cases have the tree in someones yard. Also the fact that moving a tree of that size is going to be difficult, without digging up someones property.
Chop, baby, chop!

Forget moving them. Aren't there's a few streets where the boulevard trees are in yard easements? At least don't replace them when they die.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:19 PM

Another place to mention.

They recently put in a diversion around 202 Street for WB Highway #1. Pretty sure they designed the diversion with an 80 km/h speed limit, because the curve approaching now consistently bogs down with ppl slamming on the brakes because the curve is too sharp for the operating speed.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:29 PM

Duh, the construction speed limit is 80 km/h.

I bet the Cape Horn area's 70km/h WB diversion really boils your blood.

You should've been here when they were constructing the HOV lanes over a decade ago. Gateway is nothing in comparison, at least they're doing night work this time.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Chop, baby, chop!

Forget moving them. Aren't there's a few streets where the boulevard trees are in yard easements? At least don't replace them when they die.
If there are boulevard trees in yard easements. I don't know of any myself.

Of course chances are those trees will live longer than you.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:44 AM

I meant excluding Knight St.

I almost agree with the parking restrictions 24/7, but at 10pm there would be no need to have 3 lanes along Knight St. The thing about those parking lanes along 12th/Venables/Boundary is that there's only 2 lanes for that direction originally. If there was 3 it'd be completely understandable. That's where the line should be drawn for overnight parking. If the road is 3 lanes each way than it doesn't matter, since no road in Vancouver or anywhere in Metro Vancouver for that matter is busy enough to need it after 8pm. (Exceptions are Canucks/Lions/Fireworks letting out) If it's 2 lanes and there's a risk that traffic could be blocked, by someone turning left or parking or anything like that, than they should have no parking restrictions 24/7. So long as traffic can always keep flowing at night than there is no problem. During the day when there's tons of cars on the road than 3 lanes along Knight are essential in my opinion since Knight is always hit or miss. One day you can go from KSB to Hastings in 15 minutes other days it takes almost 45 minutes. It usually depends how many cars turn left and block traffic, and how many cars are parked on the right and block traffic. Same goes for Granville/Oak/Cambie/Kingway.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:42 AM

Quote:
I meant excluding Knight St.

I almost agree with the parking restrictions 24/7, but at 10pm there would be no need to have 3 lanes along Knight St. The thing about those parking lanes along 12th/Venables/Boundary is that there's only 2 lanes for that direction originally. If there was 3 it'd be completely understandable. That's where the line should be drawn for overnight parking. If the road is 3 lanes each way than it doesn't matter, since no road in Vancouver or anywhere in Metro Vancouver for that matter is busy enough to need it after 8pm. (Exceptions are Canucks/Lions/Fireworks letting out) If it's 2 lanes and there's a risk that traffic could be blocked, by someone turning left or parking or anything like that, than they should have no parking restrictions 24/7. So long as traffic can always keep flowing at night than there is no problem. During the day when there's tons of cars on the road than 3 lanes along Knight are essential in my opinion since Knight is always hit or miss. One day you can go from KSB to Hastings in 15 minutes other days it takes almost 45 minutes. It usually depends how many cars turn left and block traffic, and how many cars are parked on the right and block traffic. Same goes for Granville/Oak/Cambie/Kingway.
I realize that there is no need for a parking restriction on a street like Knight after 10pm.

I'm more thinking along the lines. That if someone living on 12th was told they can't park in front of their house 24/7. But someone on Knight could park after 10pm. The person on 12th would probably complain that why can't they park but the person on Knight can. So to make it fair just tell everyone that nobody can park.

Sort if like if two kids are fighting over the same toy. You would tell both kids that neither one gets the toy and to shut up about it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 3:15 PM

Quote:
If there are boulevard trees in yard easements. I don't know of any myself.

Of course chances are those trees will live longer than you.
I'm not sure what kind of trees they are (any arborists here?) but I imagine once the trunks impinge on the roadway the City will be obligated to take them down. Right now they're able to prune the branches out of trucks' way (barely).

As to parking on Knight and 12th - its a perfect illustration of the downside of Vancouver not having built a freeway system. Residential streets being forced to act as major arterials and the residents suffering as a result.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 5:45 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
As to parking on Knight and 12th - its a perfect illustration of the downside of Vancouver not having built a freeway system. Residential streets being forced to act as major arterials and the residents suffering as a result.
Whether or not there's a freeway doesn't change anything. A freeway would simply just rip the neighbourhoods in half. Arteries and junctions will be still be clogged and congested, spilling onto residential streets. If anything, more traffic calming measures need to be implemented on Vancouver residential areas, especially those near busy arteries such as Knight.

If we can blame anything, I regret the City of Vancouver not implementing enough ROW for future LRT/rail/BRT and general traffic lanes on arteries such as Knight, 41st Avenue, and 1st Avenue.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 7:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what kind of trees they are (any arborists here?) but I imagine once the trunks impinge on the roadway the City will be obligated to take them down. Right now they're able to prune the branches out of trucks' way (barely).

If Vancouver had built a freeway system. It would of just looked like every other city in North America. Transit would have been a failure. It also wouldn't be near the top of the most livable cities lists that come out. The city wouldn't have been as dense as it is today if they had built the freeways. You would of had more people living further out. With more people driving longer distances.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
If Vancouver had built a freeway system. It would of just looked like every other city in North America. Transit would have been a failure. It also wouldn't be near the top of the most livable cities lists that come out. The city wouldn't have been as dense as it is today if they had built the freeways. You would of had more people living further out. With more people driving longer distances.
That wouldn't be quite the case, as Melbourne ranks right up there with Vancouver as "most liveable" yet has an extensive freeway system. And could we physically have more people living "farther out" than we already do now? We're already right to the border, up the North Shore Mountains and out to Chilliwack.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:25 PM

I would argue against a full fledged highway too. I don't think that's what the city of Vancouver actually needs, since our downtown core is very compact. What should of been done when all these roads were built, was build them with plenty of room to develop. Have long left turn lanes at busy intersections so that a divider for oncoming traffic could be put in place, forbidding left turns onto side streets. Or put one of those double lanes down the middle so that cars can turn left but do not block traffic. Again I have to hand it to the city of Surrey since this works very well on Scott Rd., KGB, 72nd, 64th, 152nd, and 128th This should of been done down on all the major roads through Vancouver. Imagine driving down Kingway WB and having to turn left onto Gladstone and never blocking traffic... Or having to turn left onto 33rd from NB Knight and never blocking traffic. Cars would be moving through Vancouver considerably faster, it would of eased a large portion of the congestion also.
It's just too bad that on almost all the major roads, there is no where to develop anymore. Gotta love living in Delta and working in Surrey!

That makes sense about allowing one but forbidding the other, but it should be common sense to those people as to why. Also, they have back alleys/side streets for parking why do they need to park on a major road?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:38 PM

If you're going to talk about Melbourne, it's necessary to mention that they have an amazing public transportation network, with the world's largest streetcar system and an even larger commuter rail system. The true gem of Melbourne is its downtown, which is dominated by pedestrians and trams, not cars.

If you were to take away this public transport infrastructure and focus on highways, there's no chance in hell that Melbourne would function let alone be liveable.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
If you're going to talk about Melbourne, it's necessary to mention that they have an amazing public transportation network, with the world's largest streetcar system and an even larger commuter rail system. The true gem of Melbourne is its downtown, which is dominated by pedestrians and trams, not cars.

If you were to take away this public transport infrastructure and focus on highways, there's no chance in hell that Melbourne would function let alone be liveable.
They do indeed have a good transit system. They also have more roadspace per capita than any other Australian city. The transit share of trips in Melbourne is pretty low at 9%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure