HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 6:44 AM

Might as well.

And done.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
I heard a special on CKUA on friday that featured a band from Winnipeg called The Duhks, they sounded pretty cool. Were they ever on the mainstage out there? Or were they on one of the side stages? I'll definitely check them out in a couple of weeks at the Edmonton Folk Fest.
They were indeed on the mainstage and played a great show, with one of the sexiest lead singers: amazing soulful voice. Really diverse sound, they switch focus each song onto all four of the leads. They also played a set for the first volunteer afterparty on Friday night.

I wasn't as impressed with the mainstage headliners this year. I don't care for Sam Roberts or Blue Rodeo. Bedouin Soundclash have played better sets before. Conor Oberst was great. Ani Difranco and the Weakerthans were also great as usual.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:37 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
its said to be an annual event - has big promoters behind it so probably will be around for a while
Ah, the beauty of Calgary- Sled Island did something Vancouver could never pull off without "big promoters."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:55 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I was at the folk Festival all weekend. It is always awesome. The best is the workshops where they put different artists/styles together and see what happens. This is where you can tell who the real musicians are because they are the ones that can pick up other peoples music and play along. Highlights for me were The Weakerthans, Bedouin Soundclash and of course, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band.

If anybody saw Conor and knew which songs he was playing (other than the ones off the to-be-released Mystic Valley Band album) please tell me. There were a few that were not off the new album which I loved and I want to know what they are.

Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Might as well.

And done.
pardon me for not saying this earlier, but could we perhaps be even more inclusive and call this topic "Alberta Music Festivals"? There's plenty more coming down the pipe, and they're not all in Calgary...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Virgin Festival Alberta lineup announced:

@ Canada Olympic Park

Aug 8
PEARL JAM
K-OS
THUNDERHEIST
ARKELLS
MOTHER MOTHER
THE CLIKS

Aug 9
BILLY TALENT
METRIC
TOKYO POLICE CLUB
WHITE LIES
SHOUT OUT OUT OUT OUT
+ More

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:19 PM

Was anyone at the Calgary Folk Fest this weekend?

Mavis Staples was amazing. Arrested Development blew me away and their workshop with Kid Koala and Dragon Fli Empire was one of the best workshops I've ever attended.

For what looked like an unimpressive line up, it turned into an awesome weekend.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 6:18 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post

Mavis Staples was amazing. Arrested Development blew me away and their workshop with Kid Koala and Dragon Fli Empire was one of the best workshops I've ever attended.

For what looked like an unimpressive line up, it turned into an awesome weekend.
+1m.

I've been to 9 straight folk fests and have enjoyed all of them to varying degrees- and this was my favourite so far. The Decemberists show was one of the top three concerts of my life. Iron and Wine made me weep, in a good way. Discovering an artist like Emily Wells was what folk fest is all about. Magical four days.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 6:42 PM

Quote:

I have to agree, they really knew how to engage the crowd, easily one of the best jam sessions I've been to as well. When Arrested Development was on the main stage, I saw people in their 70s jumping up and down, hands in the air, it was an absolutely incredible sight. Folk Fest brings out the best in everyone.

I wasn't as impressed with the line-up as in the last two years, but regardless, it was a great weekend, and I'm happy the weather held out! I think my favourite act was Bellowhead, that show was fantastic, I'd love to see them in a smaller venue with the entire place hopping.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruk View Post
I have to agree, they really knew how to engage the crowd, easily one of the best jam sessions I've been to as well. When Arrested Development was on the main stage, I saw people in their 70s jumping up and down, hands in the air, it was an absolutely incredible sight. Folk Fest brings out the best in everyone.

I wasn't as impressed with the line-up as in the last two years, but regardless, it was a great weekend, and I'm happy the weather held out! I think my favourite act was Bellowhead, that show was fantastic, I'd love to see them in a smaller venue with the entire place hopping.
The fest sure does bring out the best in everyone, from the fans to the artists.

Bellowhead was the bomb. They played Friday's after party at the Weston. Needless to say they had the joint a hoppin'.

I had the pleasure of speaking to One Love from Arrested Development, and he told that workshop was one of the coolest things he's ever participated in and he wished more festivals would incorporate workshops.

I do have two complaints though, the volume on the mainstage was at times, way too low and the weekend went by way too fast.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
+1m.

I've been to 9 straight folk fests and have enjoyed all of them to varying degrees- and this was my favourite so far. The Decemberists show was one of the top three concerts of my life. Iron and Wine made me weep, in a good way. Discovering an artist like Emily Wells was what folk fest is all about. Magical four days.
This year's fest is in my top five for sure. I think because I wasn't expecting a lot with the line up. I knew Gomez, The Decemberists and Alejando Escavado were going to be good but was kind of meh with the rest of it. I'm very pleased to have been proven wrong, once again.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 8:44 PM

I went for the first time in years and had a blast. While I didn't get to see all of the acts I wanted to (It's hard to move around a lot when you have a toddler in tow), I definitely appreciated the family friendly vibe and what I did see was great (thirding the Arrested Development / Dragonfli / Koala workshop)

As well, it was great that they let kids into the beer garden (although it makes me wonder why they don't just open up the whole site), I ran into a lot of friends old and new.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 9:39 PM

I missed most of the festival this year due to other commitments, but I managed to see some stuff on Sunday.

Arrested Development always get people moving, and Dragon Fli Empire are excellent (and local, to boot). Of all the stages I ventured to (I volunteer with the festival and it requires me to roam a lot, which is awesome), that stage seemed to have the most going on.

Michael Bernard Fitzgerald is another local guy who is worth checking out. His show was first thing in the morning, so many people might have missed it.

The Calgary Folk Fest is actually gaining itself quite the reputation among artists. I continually hear how they love the workshops, the laid back vibe, the location, etc.

And no rain, lightning, fallen branches, etc. this year.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
The fest sure does bring out the best in everyone, from the fans to the artists.

Bellowhead was the bomb. They played Friday's after party at the Weston. Needless to say they had the joint a hoppin'.

I had the pleasure of speaking to One Love from Arrested Development, and he told that workshop was one of the coolest things he's ever participated in and he wished more festivals would incorporate workshops.

I do have two complaints though, the volume on the mainstage was at times, way too low and the weekend went by way too fast.
Bellowhead was also incredibly friendly in person as well, and played a rocking set at the afterparty, though their sound was a little too large for the Westin.

It's pretty cool hearing someone from an act that has played hundreds of shows (Arrested Development) over years saying on stage "This is the first time I've ever done this". "Starting from Scratch" is so far my favourite side stage performance at any folk fest.

Mutabaruka singing about the evils of junk food almost made a ranking on my bizarre folk fest list (the #1 will likely always be Macy Gray's 7 minute discussion on the word "fuck" during her main stage show).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
There were after parties? Dammit! I bet that was fantastic. I'll have to keep an eye out for them in the future.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 3:18 AM

Quote:
There were after parties? Dammit! I bet that was fantastic. I'll have to keep an eye out for them in the future.
After parties are for artists and volunteers. On Saturday we can bring a guest for a $10 cover charge. If you get their quick enough, there's free pizza and pasta. The drink prices are a little pricey, around the $7.00 mark for bottled beer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 6:27 PM

Quote:
After parties are for artists and volunteers. On Saturday we can bring a guest for a $10 cover charge. If you get their quick enough, there's free pizza and pasta. The drink prices are a little pricey, around the $7.00 mark for bottled beer.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to latch on to a volunteer next year (or volunteer myself...) Beer price is no problem, just got back from Norway where $12/pint was normal price, everything here seems so damn cheap now!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to latch on to a volunteer next year (or volunteer myself...) Beer price is no problem, just got back from Norway where $12/pint was normal price, everything here seems so damn cheap now!
I'd volunteer, then you can go to all three after parties. Besides the parties, the other perks are free admission, free shirt and program, plus they feed you lunch and dinner and all you have to do is work 16 hours over the course of 4 days.

$12 pints? It's a good thing Norwegian women are pretty, otherwise one could go broke trying to drink them pretty.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 6:49 PM
That's what she said

The location (Prince's Island ) is one of the best anywhere IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I missed most of the festival this year due to other commitments, but I managed to see some stuff on Sunday.

Arrested Development always get people moving, and Dragon Fli Empire are excellent (and local, to boot). Of all the stages I ventured to (I volunteer with the festival and it requires me to roam a lot, which is awesome), that stage seemed to have the most going on.

Michael Bernard Fitzgerald is another local guy who is worth checking out. His show was first thing in the morning, so many people might have missed it.

The Calgary Folk Fest is actually gaining itself quite the reputation among artists. I continually hear how they love the workshops, the laid back vibe, the location, etc.

And no rain, lightning, fallen branches, etc. this year.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 6:52 PM
That's what she said

From Pearl Jam at the Virginfest

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation