HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 3:19 AM
Random Contributor

The foundation for Whitepine apartment Building D has been poured. Land is cleared for buildings B, C and E.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I see that Goji's in Findlay Park is now open. Does anyone know how busy it is?

Also, there is a new foundation going in more or less across the road on the north side of Pinewood. Does anyone know what this will be? I imagine it will be a small professional office of some kind......
I've been hearing that it will be the new home of Davidson Physiotherapy, which currently is located in the front part of 4Cs ice cream on Cleveland.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:37 PM
Random Contributor

A new store called Wine Kitz is now open in the old Blockbuster location on Coverdale Road.

I don't drink home-made wine, but wish them well.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=11927

Milestone for Riverview
Friday, September 27, 2013
Times & Transcript

Today marks a significant milestone as the Town of Riverview marks its 40th anniversary with a celebration at the Coverdale Centre.

We note that Riverview's incorporation as a town came with the amalgamation of Bridgedale, Gunningsville and Riverview Heights in 1973, the same year that several smaller communities were amalgamated into the City of Moncton.

Over the years, River view has grown significantly to become New Brunswick's largest town, with its population growing to 19,128 in the 2011 census, from 17,832 in 2006. It has all the amenities you'd expect from a town - a fire depar tment, business associations and recreation facilities - but has often struggled with business and commercial development versus the wishes of citizens to protect its quiet, residential quality of life. In recent years, successive mayors and councillors have stated that the town needs to increase its tax base to generate the revenue needed to pay for the increasing costs of infrastructure, programs and services. At budget time, the town has struggled to maintain its tax rate in the face of increasing costs and demands from its residents - and to keep up with cost-sharing agreements with Moncton and Dieppe. And there have been times when protests from citizens have stalled development and business opportunities. Those on the outside often see Riverview as a residential bedroom community of Moncton. As such, residents of Riverview have watched as the lion's share of new business has gone to Moncton even though the town insists it is open for business.

That trend has shifted in recent years with some additions to Riverview's business landscape. There is also activity with a new housing development off the $17-million Gunningsville Boulevard, which forms an ideal link across the bridge to Downtown Moncton.

Riverview is hitting its stride at 40 but will need clear direction as it proceeds.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link for the pdf of the October meeting of the Riverview PAC:
http://www.townofriverview.ca/en/doi...ber9agenda.pdf

Nothing special here. There is a subdivision planned for off Runnymeade Road (in east Riverview)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:21 AM
Random Contributor

New playground for Riverview East School needs funding.

Full Play for All campaign brochure and pledge cards can be downloaded from Gunningsville School's website at http://gunningsville.nbed.nb.ca/news/riverview-east-school-playground-campaign

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 1:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the new Riverview East School won't be opening until after Christmas........

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the link for the Mill Creek Nature Park master plan. I don't think that the link for this document has been posted before:
http://www.townofriverview.ca/en/thi..._final_web.pdf

The name for this proposal is somewhat of a misnomer. This is so much more than just a "nature park"......

The proposals for the community centre are especially impressive, including:
- A two-pad arena
- Multi-purpose fieldhouse with walking track,
- Wellness and fitness centre
- Indoor tennis centre
- Indoor water and play park with adjacent climbing wall,
- Food service and lounge space,
- Senior’s activity centre with indoor and outdoor events (i.e. lawn bowling),
- Artificial turf and track stadium with 3500 viewing capacity and,
- An outdoor extreme park with skateboard and bike amenity.

The plans for an artificial turf football field with bleacher seating for 3500 is, I think, larger than the city of Moncton's Rocky Stone Field!

If this entire plan ever comes to fruition, it would absolutely transform Riverview and would forever change people's impressions of the town. I don't think any of this would ever have been contemplated without the construction of the new Gunningsville Bridge, and the construction of Gunningsville Blvd...........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:07 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Ambitious idea, but color me skeptical. The park component of the project would be an excellent addition to the town, but it's going to come at a steep price, even if it's only built in stages over many years.

This would be the fifth (?) huge-scale mixed-use development proposed in the Greater Moncton Area in the past decade (Magnetic Hill GC, Vision Lands, Uptown Dieppe, Franklin Yard, Mill Creek). At the risk of sounding pessimistic, as of yet none of them have gotten very far at all, with the exception of Dieppe's, but that doesn't look anything like the original plan. Are we really that confident that Riverview, the town that has the worst record at attracting investment in the area by far can pull this together?

If done right, this would be a really neat part of town. I'm just afraid that the mixed-use part will just end up a sea of asphalt and strip malls when the town has a hard time getting interest in 6 story commercial buildings.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to "the Sleuth", there is an Ultramar onvenience store/service station somewhere on Coverdale Road in west Riverview which is going to be demolished and replaced with.....another service station.
They are tearing down the old building this morning.

There was a story in the T&T earlier this week that said Sobeys plans on building a new gas bar with "larger footprint" convenience store on this lot.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 1:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Survivalists of the Maritimes rejoice!!

A new store has opened on Trites Road in Riverview to cater to your every need. The World's End Warehouse has a full selection of emergency electrical generators, water filtration systems, iodine pills to block lethal doses of radiation, various sundry freeze dried and canned provisions guaranteed to last 25 years and, most importantly, - guns!!

If that isn't enough, there is also a neighbouring store that specializes in buying and selling gold and silver (because we all know that folding money will be worthless following the apocalypse), and there is a second neighbouring religious bookstore that sells fundamentalist literature full of tales of the rapture.

I think we can all rest easier now, don't you think.......

http://www.worldsendwarehouse.com

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 2:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link for the pdf of the agenda for the November meeting of the Riverview PAC:
http://www.townofriverview.ca/en/doi...mberagenda.pdf

The only thing of note is a request for variance to allow for construction of a new used car retail establishment and garage at 755 Coverdale Rd to be called Kang Motors

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that the congregation of the Immaculate Heart Roman Catholic Church (the big green modernist church on the hill next to the Riverview town hall) have completed their roof repairs and renovations to their building.

This has become somewhat of an iconic structure in Riverview given it's prominent location in the town and is a reasonably attractive building. I'm happy to see that the structure has been saved and will carry on serving the church community in Riverview……...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:28 AM

I just noticed some of those Mill Creek plans. I looked up the PDF and started reading, there is going to be a lot of stuff put in there! Like, they will have an arena bigger then the one in Dieppe where the Commandoes play. I wouldn't be surprised to see them relocate. Plus theres a boating area, which kind of makes up for the loss of Lake Petitcodiac.
It also notes that the Retail Centre will be "complete with a hotel"
There is a ridiculous amount of stuff involved in this project! I'm excited. They are doing a much better job then Moncton with their "vision lands" thing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 6:49 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I just noticed some of those Mill Creek plans. I looked up the PDF and started reading, there is going to be a lot of stuff put in there! Like, they will have an arena bigger then the one in Dieppe where the Commandoes play. I wouldn't be surprised to see them relocate. Plus theres a boating area, which kind of makes up for the loss of Lake Petitcodiac.
It also notes that the Retail Centre will be "complete with a hotel"
There is a ridiculous amount of stuff involved in this project! I'm excited. They are doing a much better job then Moncton with their "vision lands" thing.
So far it is all just pretty pictures and political talk. I have yet to hear anyone give a proposed date of development, any status updates on the project, and not even a mention of how Riverview plans to fund such a project. Unless they drastically change their anti-business stance in Riverview and the town starts earning revenues from other sources than just residential taxes, there is no way a project of that magnitude even gets off the ground.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:17 PM

I paid quite a bit of attention to the public consultation phase of this project and you are correct, sir.
It seemed like whatever you threw at those developing this plan, it would stick to the paper.
Hotel? Sure!
How about a restaurant? Why not!
Let's have snowmobile and ATV and walking and skiing and running and dog-walking trails. Definitely!
I do hope it all comes to fruition but, yeah, good luck with all of that.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:21 PM

Well the good news is they plan on it being a public-private development. Maybe a company like RioCan can step in and develop it when the town. It almost reminds me of Dartmouth crossing, but smaller and with more emphasis on the recreational aspects.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 8:23 PM
Random Contributor

Phase One of The Fairways is now open for sale of lots.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 5:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The December meeting of the Riverview PAC will include a request for variance to allow rezoning of a property on Montgomery Avenue to Commercial to allow for construction of a new McDonald's restaurant, to be attached to the existing Irving/Circle K on Coverdale Road.

This development has been rumoured for at least a year, but it is nice to see some renderings, and it would appear that this development will likely proceed next year. Once the new McDonald's is built here, the existing McDonald's Express location in the PJC building down the road will be taken over by Jean Coutu to allow for expansion of the pharmacy…….

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 3:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Improved rendering of the proposed professional building by Cordova Realty on Gunningsville Blvd near Findlay Park………

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces