HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle94 View Post
This is a super cool development. I have one question though; what the heck are those hive-shaped staircases for?
It's a sculpture:

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle94 View Post
This is a super cool development. I have one question though; what the heck are those hive-shaped staircases for?
Vessel: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=221513

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:55 PM

This center plaza design is gorgeous.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:03 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:12 AM

Unreal pictures. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh yeah the second shot especially is spectacular.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:59 PM

Just looking at those pics makes me wanna move to Jersey City, especially where those pics were taken from. Getting to observe all those skyscrapers at once plus the Downtown ones is a dream.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 1:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrules View Post
Just looking at those pics makes me wanna move to Jersey City, especially where those pics were taken from. Getting to observe all those skyscrapers at once plus the Downtown ones is a dream.
I wish I could get a penthouse a top of the Verrazanos Bridge. Talk about a glorious view.

The view from the Verrazanos is great, but I think the Throgs Neck provides the holy shit wow moment. On a clear day with 100% visibility, you'll be hoping for traffic that doesn't move, as the view is impeccable.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 1:28 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
but I think the Throgs Neck provides the holy shit wow moment. On a clear day with 100% visibility, you'll be hoping for traffic that doesn't move, as the view is impeccable.
I just looked up some views on Google images from the area you describe... oh my god... you can just see the full scope of the density.

Now I know where to go next time I’m in NY trying to get the best view!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:53 PM

These last few pics trigger a question I have always wondered. Why is there this desert of supertalls or even taller highrises between Lower Manhattan and Midtown? I was once told a fault crosses that area and that's the reason but I find that hard to believe so it must be something with zoning or code.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:39 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
These last few pics trigger a question I have always wondered. Why is there this desert of supertalls or even taller highrises between Lower Manhattan and Midtown? I was once told a fault crosses that area and that's the reason but I find that hard to believe so it must be something with zoning or code.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding has always been that those are the areas where the underlying bedrock is closest to the surface and therefore where the building foundation costs are comparatively lower.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah its harder to anchor to the bedrock and involves more engineering where its not as dense (bedrock) below grade. A lot of Manhattan is Schist rock. Ever see the rock formations that seep out of Central Park? Good old Manhattan Schist. They can build in the area, but areas such as the Village are heavily land marked. Zoning plays a big role in it.

With modern engineering, it can be done, but comes at a cost. But I don't expect to see skyscrapers in the Village or in the East Village (bar the East River flank) due to zoning and land marked blocks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:40 PM

Zoning is the primary reason. Skyscrapers can be built virtually anywhere these days (Battery park city is built on landfill). The reason those areas did not develop was because for much of the 20th century most of those neighborhoods were not as desirable as other parts of manhattan, especially for commercial office space. Now even though downtown real estate is through the roof, most neighborhoods are landmarked or protected through conservative zoning. Many though consider these parts of manhattan the most engaging despite the lack of big buildings.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Why is there this desert of supertalls or even taller highrises between Lower Manhattan and Midtown? I was once told a fault crosses that area and that's the reason but I find that hard to believe so it must be something with zoning or code.
It's zoning. Those neighborhoods are generally protected from very large buildings. They're the best urban neighborhoods in North America, and generally fiercely NIMBY.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 6:13 PM

Excellent replies guys, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 2:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Many though consider these parts of manhattan the most engaging despite the lack of big buildings.
Well, of course they're engaging, you have to be filthy rich to live there so they are obviously nice places to be. I'm pretty opposed to this sort of zoning though, it just artificially depresses the amount of housing available thereby artificially inflating the cost of living. San Francisco is way worse though.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Well, of course they're engaging, you have to be filthy rich to live there so they are obviously nice places to be. I'm pretty opposed to this sort of zoning though, it just artificially depresses the amount of housing available thereby artificially inflating the cost of living. San Francisco is way worse though.
On that note, Jay-Z and Beyonce live in Tribeca. I hope this doesn't come off as negative towards NYC in any way, I have spent at least 6 months of my life in that city but I don't understand the draw of a crowded living like that. I have spent my entire life on farms where the nearest grocery store is 20 mins away and it took 45 minutes to get to school one way in the mornings. I don't understand where these children play. I don't understand not being able to walk out your back door and fire a gun at a target. I just don't get not owning a truck. But I will tell you this. When I was walking through Battery Park in 2004 and saw a wild Turkey 20 feet away, I simply could not believe what my eyes were showing me. It was there I swear to you.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's zoning. Those neighborhoods are generally protected from very large buildings. They're the best urban neighborhoods in North America, and generally fiercely NIMBY.
The key is small footprints of buildings but not necesarily their height. Putting in height limits, especially ones where it’s neither too tall or short is very damaging, as developers will combine lots to get enough FAR (buildable space) to build up to the height limit.

The most walkable streets are those with multiple buildings on the same block. The least walkable are those blockbusters, i.e. buildings that take up an entire block (or more).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 3:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

What were likely see in those land marked neighborhoods are interior conversions. But nothing that would alter the exterior. They'd have to petition and seek approval for that. In a way, its good because those areas like the Village are urban treasures. The waterfront on the LES I think is fair game.

In terms of 30 Hudson and the proxies, still plenty of room to build. A lot of crummy 3-4 floor structures to get rid of and garages.

I'd like to see the blocks from 45th to 50th between 12th and 11th Avenue demo'd. Those blocks are ripe for development. There's the Fed EX shipment center on 48th, but if they could build a top of it, lots of opportunity. There is nothing worth saving on those blocks. Just crappy parking garages and storage facilities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive