HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wait, so because you grew up there a number of years ago you think you know better than I do considering I moved away from there only 10 months ago?

I could not give one shit that you grew up a half mile from here a number of years ago. I have way more daily, ACTUAL experience than you do in the last few years. The fact that you grew up there means jack shit when you're talking you someone who lived only 2 blocks away until 10 months ago.

Your growing up a half mile away a number of years ago and visiting for a few days recently means nothing to the context of present day everyday and people who actually experience the area everyday NOW or did very recently. There's another poster who has said that live a block away and agrees with me, but you know you think we should trust you more because you once too lived there many years ago but not anytime in the near past/now.
I couldn't give a shit what you give a shit about.

I'm in Chicago often. Your problem seems to be that you don't leave enough, so you have no external reference or context.

These condo developments with huge parking structures are turning River North into something like Atlanta or Miami, rather than NY or Boston (or what Chicago once was). That's a problem.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, this came out of nowhere, love the massing renderings.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I couldn't give a shit what you give a shit about.

I'm in Chicago often. Your problem seems to be that you don't leave enough, so you have no external reference or context.

These condo developments with huge parking structures are turning River North into something like Atlanta or Miami, rather than NY or Boston (or what Chicago once was). That's a problem.
Marothisu lives and works part time in New York.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Believe it or not, people pay lots of money for apartments in Manhattan and Brooklyn that do not come with parking spaces. Chicago should be no different.

And it certainly shouldn't be built above ground.
But Chicago is different. So what's your point?

I despise parking too, but the reality is that you're not going to sell $2 million condos without having a parking spot for the Lotus.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That menu is fantastic. Good prices too and a happy hour, good wine selections. Okay... maybe it should stay.
Yes, but with a nine-story podium directly behind?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Beautiful work, Steely. I can stare at them for hours.
how about a few more?

from the playpen:

from the the signature lounge:

from the sears skydeck:

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 12, 2017 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:09 PM

So almost 900 new residential units. Mostly apartments. That is extremely ambitious, especially given that so many new apartment units are coming online now. Although at the earliest this is 4-5 years away. But still.

Steely's models really do demonstrate that the scale of these towers are very appropriate for the area. I hope it gets approved and built as is. I still think it'll be scaled back a bit. Don't developers frequently propose much more, so that when it is scaled back, it looks like they're giving into NIMBY pressure?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Steely's models really do demonstrate that the scale of these towers are very appropriate for the area.
Yes, and his models don't even include any of the new tall towers along Wells, nor Aurelien, nor 805 N Lasalle, nor, the Bennett, nor even, I think, the AMLI River North tower, either, which would provide even more context. How old are the base graphics?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
How old are the base graphics?
i don't know, you'd have to ask google earth.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
But Chicago is different. So what's your point?

I despise parking too, but the reality is that you're not going to sell $2 million condos without having a parking spot for the Lotus.
That will change. You've got less people reverse commuting as companies move downtown. You've got Uber now (which makes a car completely unnecessary for daily use in the city). And soon you've got self-driving cars, which can take themselves a couple miles away to park and come pick you up when you need them.

I've been to multiple RE conferences where speakers mentioned that last point specifically. It will completely change the need for parking in city centers worldwide.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It will completely change the need for parking in city centers worldwide.
"will" being the operative word in that sentence.

we aren't there yet, and regardless of what people in manhattan or brooklyn or timbuk-fucking-tu do, chicago is absolutely still a city where most people of means own a car, and as such, the real estate market caters to that demand.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
"will" being the operative word in that sentence.

we aren't there yet, and regardless of what people in manhattan or brooklyn or timbuk-fucking-tu do, chicago is absolutely still a city where most people of means own a car, and as such, the real estate market caters to that demand.
But this building, and others, aren't being built for now. They're being built for the future, and they will be with us for a long time.

And much like emissions standards, or forward thinking countries (i.e., not the US) setting dates by which all vehicles must be electric, government has a role in nudging people toward these inevitable changes.

They need to ban above ground parking in Chicago now. It will be priced into developments. It will slow the pace of development a bit. But it will make the city a better place for generations to come.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:

They need to ban above ground parking in Chicago now. It will be priced into developments. It will slow the pace of development a bit. But it will make the city a better place for generations to come.
What's the bigger problem right now across the country? Lack of housing in urban centers, or above ground parking? Let's keep our priorities straight. There's ample evidence that regulatory costs are in large part responsible for the relative dearth of development.

A ban is too rigid, too severe a constraint. A tax on above ground (or a subsidy for below) would be a more flexible approach that acknowledges that below ground parking is not always economical.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
They need to ban above ground parking in Chicago now.
you've been periodically complaining about above ground parking podiums for the last 15 years.

i think it's pretty fucking safe to say that we all know what your position is on the matter by now.

you can complain about about it for another 15 years (and i'm sure you will), and i'll bet dollars to donuts that absolutely nothing will change from a government standpoint.

the only way the parking podiums in chicago go away is through market forces as the demand for personally owned automobiles dries up in the coming decades.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 12, 2017 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:11 PM
BANNED

This whole "Everything is better in countries that aren't the US" is unintentionally funny but doesn't really have much to do with the subject.

This thread is bringing back memories in that for the first time in years I thought of my senior baccalaureate at Holy Name almost twenty years ago. Relatedly, that's when I moved out of Bridgeport and haven't lived there since, so if anyone has any questions about how the neighborhood is now, be sure to hit me up.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
you've been periodically complaining about above ground parking podiums for the last 15 years.

i think it's pretty fucking safe to say that we all know what your position is on the matter by now.

you can complain about about it for another 15 years (and i'm sure you will), and i'll bet dollars to donuts that absolutely nothing will change from a government standpoint.

the only way the parking podiums in chicago go away is through market forces as the demand for personally owned automobiles dries up in the coming decades.
Do you think I don't know this?

Of course that's true. And downtown Chicago will be the worse for it, for the rest of our lifetimes and beyond. This forum is full of wishful thinking and I'm contributing my own.

Meanwhile I had two meetings in the City (of London) today and didn't see a single sign of a parking garage, walking all over the place. Sigh.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Do you think I don't know this?
if you know the reality of the situation, then why are you such an insufferable broken record about it?

Quote:
Meanwhile I had two meetings in the City (of London) today and didn't see a single sign of a parking garage, walking all over the place.

source: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3rjap2

if this thread were in any way shape or form somehow related to anything at all in london, maybe you'd have a point.

ANYWAY, let's get back to the actual topic of this thread.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yes, and his models don't even include any of the new tall towers along Wells, nor Aurelien, nor 805 N Lasalle, nor, the Bennett, nor even, I think, the AMLI River North tower, either, which would provide even more context. How old are the base graphics?
Speaking of models here are some shots of the one I made. I definitely don't have as much detail as Google but it includes some of the new tall towers you mentioned

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yes, but with a nine-story podium directly behind?
Suppose a retail/light commercial footprint at the base, I'd like to see the existing businesses/restaurants (And I'm speaking in general with developments) to be incorporated.

Often towers rise, but in doing so, they remove the very sources of street life and what makes a street great in the first place. Deals with the owners, reopening businesses after X development is finished would be nice. What won't be good is a TGI Fridays or some garbage establishment replacing the good old mom n' pop food joints.

Again, just speaking in general here.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Suppose a retail/light commercial footprint at the base, I'd like to see the existing businesses/restaurants (And I'm speaking in general with developments) to be incorporated.

Often towers rise, but in doing so, they remove the very sources of street life and what makes a street great in the first place. Deals with the owners, reopening businesses after X development is finished would be nice. What won't be good is a TGI Fridays or some garbage establishment replacing the good old mom n' pop food joints.

Again, just speaking in general here.
I definitely like this idea^^^ and this is pretty much what I have been getting at. The supertall will be the star of the show at this location without a doubt. What lies at its base should be something to encourage vibrant street life. Often towers lose this and make neighborhoods sterile and frigid. Keeping and incorporating the restaurant may or may not be the cure-all for this issue but I think it is a step in the right direction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive