HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 2:34 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Wow.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 2:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
Montreal needs to do better. An area of 3.9 million can be more than just hockey.
I do not consider Montreal to be that good a sports town, but to suggest they don't deserve their NHL club - as someone did = is preposterous.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 2:56 AM
Cheers!

What the heck are you guys talking about? Montreal doesn't deserve an NHL team? Montreal only does hockey? WTF?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 3:25 AM

The Expos are gone half because their stadium wasn't getting replaced, and they had an owner wanting to run the team into the ground. They could easily be a great MLB franchise again with a new ballpark and local ownership who cares.

And you could say the same about Vancouver - only one real "major league" team in the Canucks. Lions play with 7 other teams, and the Whitecaps and the MLS are nowhere near the top of the soccer world. It's a start - yes, but I really think Vancouver could support an MLB team - and some series to test the market would be a great idea. I'd certainly be there if it was the Jays, and I definitely wouldn't mind checking out a Vancouver MLB team quite often either if it was available.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
Obviously I meant I new one.
And, it wouldn't fail like last time, obviously how?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hmm I'd say Montreal probably deserves an NHL team. They are usually at the top in average attendance, so if they don't deserve one, no one else does!
They have plenty of fans, but they're also a classless bunch as well. More riots than all the other Canadian teams combined.

Maybe they can get an MLS team, soccer and hooliganism go together.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
They have plenty of fans, but they're also a classless bunch as well. More riots than all the other Canadian teams combined.

They are getting an MLS team. Ready to go next year.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And, it wouldn't fail like last time, obviously how?
By running the franchise well? Why does this have to be explained?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 7:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

OK, now I get it. Though "I don't like them" is not the same as "That city doesn't deserve a team".

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:51 AM

This is gaining steam according to sportsnet.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:54 PM

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
That's one link, here's another from today with details about BC place accommodating Baseball.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...rs_exhibition/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
That's one link, here's another from today with details about BC place accommodating Baseball.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...rs_exhibition/
The idea sounds promising, but will it actually go through? Guess it's hard to say, because of how low the video scoreboard may be. Couldn't they just lift it to be higher? And will people actually attend a series with the Mariners and the Jays? If things go well, I could see possibility of MLB head offices, looking at the attendance figures, as well as the excitment, and see if it's a possibility of landing a franchise (relocated or expansion) in Van.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
The idea sounds promising, but will it actually go through? Guess it's hard to say, because of how low the video scoreboard may be. Couldn't they just lift it to be higher? And will people actually attend a series with the Mariners and the Jays? If things go well, I could see possibility of MLB head offices, looking at the attendance figures, as well as the excitment, and see if it's a possibility of landing a franchise (relocated or expansion) in Van.
Well the Jays had between 10 to 15,000 fans in Seattle last week, presumably the majority from Vancouver. That's roughly a 3 hour drive one way, plus border traffic (which on game days was 45 - 75 minutes at Peace Arch & Truck Crossing).

Now remove that drive, put three games in BC Place, have some Mariners fans in BC come watch and probably attract a few people down in Seattle to make the journey north, and I could easily see 40,000 people per game for one series a good possibility.

One thing is for certain - a new ballpark would be needed if a franchise was ever chosen in Vancouver. BC place would work for 2 to 3 years, but a Safeco-like field would be required (some sort of roof to protect from the Spring rains). That's what I see being the stopper on expansion to Vancouver. Big big money plus a local government wanting to support the construction of another ballpark in Metro Vancouver would be issues.

I almost wonder, would a location closer to Scott road skytrain be a potential location for a ballpark - central to the region, close to Langley (baseball hotspot), skytrain access - a pretty good view of the Fraser River, New West, Port Mann, SFU, Coquitlam, etc. What do you think?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Well the Jays had between 10 to 15,000 fans in Seattle last week, presumably the majority from Vancouver. That's roughly a 3 hour drive one way, plus border traffic (which on game days was 45 - 75 minutes at Peace Arch & Truck Crossing).

Now remove that drive, put three games in BC Place, have some Mariners fans in BC come watch and probably attract a few people down in Seattle to make the journey north, and I could easily see 40,000 people per game for one series a good possibility.

One thing is for certain - a new ballpark would be needed if a franchise was ever chosen in Vancouver. BC place would work for 2 to 3 years, but a Safeco-like field would be required (some sort of roof to protect from the Spring rains). That's what I see being the stopper on expansion to Vancouver. Big big money plus a local government wanting to support the construction of another ballpark in Metro Vancouver would be issues.

I almost wonder, would a location closer to Scott road skytrain be a potential location for a ballpark - central to the region, close to Langley (baseball hotspot), skytrain access - a pretty good view of the Fraser River, New West, Port Mann, SFU, Coquitlam, etc. What do you think?
I'm not convinced that a local government here in Van., would ever support building a brand new stadium for an expansion franchise. It didn't happen with the expansion NBA franchise we had back in '95, and I really do not think it would happen this time around. I mean, with the recent upgrades to BC Place, what would become of that stadium? The whitecaps are still looking to build their own stadium eventually, and it's not possible to have the CFL Lion's to be the only tenant there - that can't be feasible.

If a new ballpark would be required for a MLB franchise to come here, then I can't see that happening unless local ownership is willing to build their own stadium, and even then, I can't see that happening swiftly (look at Kerfoot and the 'Caps).

I'm with you on attendance. I think there will be some fans from Seattle or, around the Washington State area, that would be willing to make the trek up to Van., to support a new franchise. But again, there are issues, for example, the salary cap (which MLB does not have) - this would put us in a competitive disadvantage. Don't get me wrong. I'd love for MLB to come to Van., but unless a local owner is willing to take up the bill for building a brand new ballpark, I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

The NBA coming to Van., is more realistic at this stage.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 7:10 PM

Well, Vancouver's been mentioned here and there as news today came out that the Tampa Bay Rays owner is completely frustrated with the market and potentially wanting to move the team.

They couldn't sell out yesterday's elimination playoff game (less than 29,000), and the owner was getting frustrated. 3 of the last 4 seasons they've made the playoffs, yet they're 29th out of 30 in attendance, and TV ratings are dropping quite a bit too.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/70...odel-untenable

New Jersey, Montreal & Vancouver have come up for possible relocation...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Well, Vancouver's been mentioned here and there as news today came out that the Tampa Bay Rays owner is completely frustrated with the market and potentially wanting to move the team.

They couldn't sell out yesterday's elimination playoff game (less than 29,000), and the owner was getting frustrated. 3 of the last 4 seasons they've made the playoffs, yet they're 29th out of 30 in attendance, and TV ratings are dropping quite a bit too.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/70...odel-untenable

New Jersey, Montreal & Vancouver have come up for possible relocation...
The article you've provided doesn't say that NJ, Montreal or Vancouver as being possible relocated sites, and neither does the video. Mind citing sources as to where you've heard that Tampa Bay's owner, is thinking about relocating? And how Vancouver, NJ and Montreal as possible suitors? Unless I'm blind, I don't see it on that article, or hear it on the video.

If you ask me. I don't think Bud Selig even has Vancouver on his radar as possible relocated cities. It would be a MIRACLE if Van, got an MLB team, but like many posters here on this forum - probably won't happen in our lifetimes. Whoever brings an MLB team here, will need to build a specific baseball park for Vancouver, and I just can't see that happening, because BC Place was just recently renovated.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:49 AM

Quote:
The article you've provided doesn't say that NJ, Montreal or Vancouver as being possible relocated sites, and neither does the video. Mind citing sources as to where you've heard that Tampa Bay's owner, is thinking about relocating? And how Vancouver, NJ and Montreal as possible suitors? Unless I'm blind, I don't see it on that article, or hear it on the video.

If you ask me. I don't think Bud Selig even has Vancouver on his radar as possible relocated cities. It would be a MIRACLE if Van, got an MLB team, but like many posters here on this forum - probably won't happen in our lifetimes. Whoever brings an MLB team here, will need to build a specific baseball park for Vancouver, and I just can't see that happening, because BC Place was just recently renovated.
MLB stadium at the water front location. I know money wasn't the issue, but an MLB team owner would likely have a lot more of it than an MLS team owner. Would be great. Kind of like AT&T Park in San Fran. Instead of hitting dingers into McCovey Cove they could hit them into the Burrard Inlet. The stadium would have to have a retractable roof though as 3/4th's of the games would be rained out in an open air stadium. I'll get ol' Gregor on the horn and see what he says...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:56 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They could play at Nat Bailey, we might even be able to fill the stadium on most nights.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
MLB stadium at the water front location. I know money wasn't the issue, but an MLB team owner would likely have a lot more of it than an MLS team owner. Would be great. Kind of like AT&T Park in San Fran. Instead of hitting dingers into McCovey Cove they could hit them into the Burrard Inlet. The stadium would have to have a retractable roof though as 3/4th's of the games would be rained out in an open air stadium. I'll get ol' Gregor on the horn and see what he says...

Yeah. the idea of having a stadium in that area has been floated before (see Whitecaps Soccer specific stadium, prior to their move to BC Place). I'm not saying that pro baseball wouldn't work in this city - and I'm always an advocate of having more pro sports teams here in Vancity (greatest city in the world, imo). but IF an owner builds his own stadium here in vancouver, sure, it'd work. but if the ballpark is being paid by the taxpayer's money - that's not going to fly, for sure.

Like I've said - I can't see Vancouver being remotely close to MLB's radar of relocated cities. Maybe just not a big enough market? I'd go to a few games, it'd be a fantastic experience, and I think the city is large enough with enough people having interests in pro baseball, that it would work.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation