HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

55 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
Thank you.

I'm heartened to see that the block owned by NY state (south of Javits) is STILL being used for trailer truck parking in the late teens? future

In that rendering, the western half of the railyards isn't developed yet either.

That particular state owned block was going to be put up for development back when the state was considering a larger Javits expansion, along with a large convention center hotel.

That never went through, but if you look at Related's map of development, you can see something taking shape.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:51 PM

Current status of site 12/11

The actual building site & overbuild subway vent structure are basically finished on the outside. The adjacent Hudson Blvd/Park & #7 subway entrance have a way to go.

Looking SW from the SE corner of 34th st & East Hudson Blvd, unpaved E Hudson Blvd in foreground.

:

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 12:11 AM
New Yorker for life

I'm ready for the opening of that line. It changes the game over there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 2:49 PM

^ When is it supposed to open, 2016?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
^ When is it supposed to open, 2016?
"Revenue service to begin June 2014"
http://web.mta.info/capital/future/extension.php

AFAIK, Mayor Bloomberg will take a ceremonial ride whilst he's still mayor, which is not that many days...

PS: they were still working at the subway site between 34th & 35th a couple of days ago also. That location is "Site P (Secondary Station Entrance) – 11th Avenue between 34th and 35th Streets" This secondary entrance will come up through whatever building is built on this site, so I assume the building's foundations are included in the Site P construction.

Site P looking north from south side of 34th. The eastern half of this site is Hudson Blvd/Park w/a parking garage below the park. I think the tall crane is on the actual subway site itself.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
"Revenue service to begin June 2014"
http://web.mta.info/capital/future/extension.php
Oh, times goes fast. I hope that once the transportation infrastructure is in place, business tenants will be more willing to relocate to HY.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:30 AM
BANNED

In my opinion, Hudson yards still has poor subway access.

Last edited by Perklol; Dec 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Can you qualify that? Because the 7 line extension is right there and the 7 line also goes across town and touches every major north-south subway line in manhattan. Spending half my year living in London I will tell you only one stop is needed.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 2:41 PM

Quote:
What.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 4:39 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ You living in New York now uaarkson? If so, good move!

Quote:
Compared to the WTC, maybe. But I wouldn't call it poor. Let's say there's room for improvement.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 4:45 PM

Yep. Crown Heights.

I got a job designing ventilation systems on autocad and I've been in the International Gem Tower all month.

Last edited by uaarkson; Dec 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Compared to the WTC, maybe. But I wouldn't call it poor. Let's say there's room for improvement.
Very true, there is room for improvement.

It does connect to every subway line but it won't be a one-seat ride and it benefits anyone excluding those that use A,C,E. Still, it's good for Hudson yards.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
It does connect to every subway line but it won't be a one-seat ride and it benefits anyone excluding those that use A,C,E. Still, it's good for Hudson yards.

One seat rides are not as common as you may think. There is a reason so many subway lines are interconnected, with many transfer points. Unless you move somewhere to be located next to a specific subway line - or are just lucky enough to be living near the only one you need, you are probably going to transfer somewhere anyway. Besides, the 7 line extends all the way to Flushing.

Personally, I would walk the few short blocks from Penn Station, as I'm sure hordes will do. Take a walk down 7th or 8th Avenue after 4 pm, and witness the wave of humanity. Obviously these people could ride the subway. But for the rest of the city that need to go further distances or connect with other trains? The new 7 extension will make all the difference.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
New Yorker for life

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013...for-the-mayor/

New Part of the 7 Subway Makes its First Trip Friday — for the Mayor

December 16, 2013

Quote:
The extension of the No. 7 subway line from Times Square to the West Side isn’t scheduled to open to passengers until summer of 2014 — with one exception.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority confirmed Monday that plans are set to run a “dignitary train” on Friday for Mayor Michael Bloomberg, so the politician who spearheaded the city financing of the new line’s extension through the site of the Hudson Yards development can get in one celebratory trip before leaving office at the end of the year.

Mr. Bloomberg will ride a No. 7 train from Times Square, where the line ends now, to the end of the extension at 34th Street and 11th Avenue, at noon on Friday, MTA officials said.

Construction continues on the extension, but the MTA’s Capital Construction division has been planning for months to make it possible for Mr. Bloomberg to take a ride on the line before his term as mayor ends.

The MTA is a state authority, and its other capital construction projects, like the Second Avenue subway, Fulton Center and bringing the Long Island Rail Road to Grand Central Terminal, are being built with its own capital funds and healthy dollops of aid from the federal government. But on the No. 7, the city has footed the $2.4 billion bill, floating bonds backed by future expected tax revenue from real estate development in the new neighborhood taking shape above the MTA’s West Side railyards.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 12:49 AM
BANNED

^Excellent.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:35 AM

The tower will rise right next to ventialtion building.

The road and parts of park are already completed.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 1:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Great photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote:
Did you know that the Hudson Yards subway stop is 108 feet below ground? That's right, and they're going to install four high-rise escalators to help bring riders up to the street level. The Mayor got to take the first ride today, but we'll see you all on the No. 7 in June!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 12:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 5:42 PM
World Machine

^^^ That last image is one you will look at 20 years from now and say to yourself, "Wow, we've come a long way."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 6:10 PM

^^^
Definitely. The West Side will be fully integrated with the rest of NYC thanks to the subway, will be home to over a dozen 1000+ foot towers and tens of thousands of New Yorkers, will be a major destination for tourists, no more Javits center (seriously, it's days have been numbered ever since the rezoning), a fully completed Moynihan station and perhaps even the future MSG will call it home.

Maybe there will even be a 10th or 11th Avenue subway line in planning by this time!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive