HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:01 PM

Could someone tell me where the Provo Thread has been archived to? Can't find it with the other archived threads...Viperlord, are you there????

I got a kick out of this ad.

https://i.pinimg.com/.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 27, 2018 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
As far as merging threads are concerned, I think we can merge them down to 3-4 threads but I would like to add a thread. Silicon Slopes - from Lehi-Draper-Sandy. There are half a dozen steel structures going up and they will eventually get more interesting. Particularly news about the companies growing there I think will be very intriguing. I believe we have to come to terms with this new thread
The term "Silicon Slopes" refers to the tech scene happening along the entire Wasatch Front, not just Lehi-Draper area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post

2) everyone's pretentious attitude about SLC is getting rather humorous, perhaps we should just ignore SLC since it doesn't really have any skyscrapers anyway and only focus on real cities like NYC, Los Angeles, and Boston where they actually build skyscrapers (all said tongue in cheek because people are so uppity about SLC here). I get it you want more development in the city, that's great, you can focus on that without the snide remarks to other areas that are experiencing growth.
But it's really bad, poorly planned growth that is already and will continue to cause greater problems in the future.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
But it's really bad, poorly planned growth that is already and will continue to cause greater problems in the future.
This

The development down there doesn't get my scorn because it's in Lehi it gets it because it's bad. It would be really exciting for a walkable transit-oriented urban area with buildings that actually interact with the street to pop up in Lehi. An office Park,tech or otherwise, is uninspiring. Even with less development I'd rather Provo City itself had its own thread than the point of the mountain. Everything at the point of the mountain is something that you drive past going 70 miles per hour. It's surrounded by fast food and parking lots. It's an awful mess. Outside of the jobs nobody should be excited about it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 11:35 PM

Does something have to be exciting or well-designed to be worth reporting on?

Jtrent is right. Regardless of your opinions on how bad the development is, that doesn't mean we have to be assholes about it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Does something have to be exciting or well-designed to be worth reporting on?

Jtrent is right. Regardless of your opinions on how bad the development is, that doesn't mean we have to be assholes about it.
It is and has been reported on for years in the Utah Valley thread. It doesn't need its own thread.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:31 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
This

The development down there doesn't get my scorn because it's in Lehi it gets it because it's bad. It would be really exciting for a walkable transit-oriented urban area with buildings that actually interact with the street to pop up in Lehi. An office Park,tech or otherwise, is uninspiring. Even with less development I'd rather Provo City itself had its own thread than the point of the mountain. Everything at the point of the mountain is something that you drive past going 70 miles per hour. It's surrounded by fast food and parking lots. It's an awful mess. Outside of the jobs nobody should be excited about it.
Well I'm certainly excited about it. It is the hottest and most active tech development center on the continent. It was, two decades ago, horse fields. This is the very short sided "BUT I WANT IT NOW" commentary that makes these threads tedious. Lehi is absolutely SMOKING SLC in office and tech and we should be bursting with pride at our metro. It isn't the best,most progressive urban planning but neither was Silicon Valley or Irvine. Have you read Lehi city code? It's on a PDF. Give them some time to figure it all out.

Last edited by Marvland; Jan 28, 2018 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:54 PM

Development that chains people to their car, especially in the center of a choke point like the point of the mountain, is irresponsible. It's crazy dystopian. It's great that we are getting so many jobs with a high multiplier effect but this kind of development comes with too many external costs. Something needs to change soon. I imagine more and more people are going to agree with my POV in the coming years. When a boom like this is poorly planned and managed excitement can quickly give way to dread. BTW the tech Boom is being caused by the strengths of the region not by the hillbillies running Lehi. BYU,UofU,UVU, and good demographics. Lehi simply has open land at the center of a sought out population. We would still be getting these companies if Lehi were a little more responsible. Honestly if Lehi had done nothing more than slapping together a simple grid system we would be in much better shape than we are.

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Jan 28, 2018 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 7:55 PM

The former eagles club building (AKA the Bay) has a banner stating that Caffe Molise and BTG are moving there.

That may be a sign that they are needing to vacate from their location across from City Creek and that something else may be replacing it.

https://www.facebook.com/Caff%C3%A9-Molise-70037905452/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
The former eagles club building (AKA the Bay) has a banner stating that Caffe Molise and BTG are moving there.

That may be a sign that they are needing to vacate from their location across from City Creek and that something else may be replacing it.

https://www.facebook.com/Caff%C3%A9-Molise-70037905452/
Yeah they announced that a while ago. Priksos was trying to acquire those properties for what appeared to be a hotel but then he died. So... who knows

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
It is and has been reported on for years in the Utah Valley thread. It doesn't need its own thread.
I agree that it doesn't need its own thread. I also don't disagree that a lot of that development is irresponsible and short-sighted.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't disparage people for simply wanting to post about it/being interested in it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I agree that it doesn't need its own thread. I also don't disagree that a lot of that development is irresponsible and short-sighted.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't disparage people for simply wanting to post about it/being interested in it.

Notdisparaging people for posting about it. It's just not a city that's needs it's own thread. Post about it at the link below
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...17381&page=156

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:38 AM

GreenPrint Apartments has finished. I love the scale of this project and its 60 microunits. Central 9th is on an infill roll.

@UtahProjects

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:49 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Development that chains people to their car, especially in the center of a choke point like the point of the mountain, is irresponsible. It's crazy dystopian. It's great that we are getting so many jobs with a high multiplier effect but this kind of development comes with too many external costs. Something needs to change soon. I imagine more and more people are going to agree with my POV in the coming years. When a boom like this is poorly planned and managed excitement can quickly give way to dread. BTW the tech Boom is being caused by the strengths of the region not by the hillbillies running Lehi. BYU,UofU,UVU, and good demographics. Lehi simply has open land at the center of a sought out population. We would still be getting these companies if Lehi were a little more responsible. Honestly if Lehi had done nothing more than slapping together a simple grid system we would be in much better shape than we are.

Agreed Liberty. That picture shows most of the land being over run with parking lots. A complete fail.

The older, supposedly more urban centers, jumped the shark. The entire slate of companies in Lehi should be in Provo or Salt lake in larger downtown buildings. Even with the Lehi Front-runner stop, buildings are not being massed around it. So much for eliminating pollution and congestion....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
GreenPrint Apartments has finished. I love the scale of this project and its 60 microunits. Central 9th is on an infill roll.

@UtahProjects
I love how this neighborhood is turning out.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:

Fully agree

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 4:30 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Yeah they announced that a while ago. Priksos was trying to acquire those properties for what appeared to be a hotel but then he died. So... who knows
He already owned thoes properties. He was trying to get the property west of that.

They picked a bad place to move... I know a lot of people who visit both of those places. No one seems enthusiastic about visiting them at that new location.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:46 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

The East Block at City Creek Center is starting to look like Gateway. 6 stores have recently closed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The East Block at City Creek Center is starting to look like Gateway. 6 stores have recently closed.
Is City Creek not functioning well as a regional shopping destination? I mean, I know that malls are trending towards extinction, but I guess I expected City Creek to perform better.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 11:33 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West