HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:03 PM

- "Wise"
- "State government"

Pick one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:04 PM

The U of U and Sugarhouse are both huge, vital parts of Salt Lake City. It just doesn't make sense to keep them separate.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:08 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Salt Lake City is not one of the 20 finalist cities for the Amazon RPF. Amazon Chooses 20 Locations as Finalists for New Headquarters https://nyti.ms/2DfzFGD

Great work by our state cronies. Did they not read that Amazon wanted a build ready site? The prison site will be ready in 2021. Complete idiots.
Yeah a pox upon the fools on the hill and a pox upon our feckless city leadership. But really, reading between the lines, of the 20 finalists, only two are in the West and are quite a distance physically from Seattle. I think the writing is on the wall that the East and South might have this deal cornered. My money is on Atlanta, Raleigh or Miami. Interesting to see Toronto in the mix.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17044620011

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Really speaks volumes that Salt Lake didn't make the cut but Nashville, Columbus, Pittsburgh and Raleigh did.
And Indianapolis, ffs. Indianapolis has a small tech scene.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Salt Lake City is not one of the 20 finalist cities for the Amazon RPF. Amazon Chooses 20 Locations as Finalists for New Headquarters https://nyti.ms/2DfzFGD

Great work by our state cronies. Did they not read that Amazon wanted a build ready site? The prison site will be ready in 2021. Complete idiots.
If at first you don't succeed...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ild-new-campus

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
At least Apple likes the suburban campus as opposed to Amazon's urban style. So that would fit in with Draper and the point better I guess.

I do wonder if when the State submitted their response on the RFP if they said Salt Lake City for the Draper location or if they said Draper. This could change how things are ranked as Amazon does their research.

Of course, this might be over their heads (State level) but it always amazes me that many companies that are throughout the SL Valley almost always state they are located in SLC rather than Sandy, West Jordan or other.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Apple isn’t doing an RFP, though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Yeah a pox upon the fools on the hill and a pox upon our feckless city leadership. But really, reading between the lines, of the 20 finalists, only two are in the West and are quite a distance physically from Seattle. I think the writing is on the wall that the East and South might have this deal cornered. My money is on Atlanta, Raleigh or Miami. Interesting to see Toronto in the mix.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17044620011
I think D.C. gets it. They picked three in the D.C. area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Apple isn’t doing an RFP, though.
Who knows what kind of process Apple will use to make its decision. Honestly, I think that most of the selection process for such things actually happens behind the scenes. The same is probably true of Amazon, they just used their public RPF for a bunch of free press coverage.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Who knows what kind of process Apple will use to make its decision. Honestly, I think that most of the selection process for such things actually happens behind the scenes. The same is probably true of Amazon, they just used their public RPF for a bunch of free press coverage.
Lol free press coverage? You are thinking WAY too small. They did it to get the best deal possible in the city they would have chosen anyway. We are going to open up shop in DC, but we want to make sure they give us a good deal so we will "make them compete" with everyone else but end up choosing them anyway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:50 PM
Engineer

Quote:
I think D.C. gets it. They picked three in the D.C. area.
That's what I think. It seems Amazon really likes DC.

I'm rooting for Pittsburgh and Raleigh though. I also think an urban campus in LA would be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:06 AM

Honestly, as big of a grab as it would be, do we really want Amazon here?

Honestly this whole search just feels like a publicity stunt. I'm sure Amazon has already narrowed it down to 3 or 4 choices and is just waiting to see who gives them the biggest tax break to go there. Corporate welfare at its best.

That said, a smaller regional office would be great. I just don't think SLC could handle a Seattle-sized Amazon influence anyway - not because we don't have the infrastructure, tech/research base, or population, but because our state government would surely find some way to screw it up along the way with poor management/poor design, whatever. They don't have the vision to handle it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:47 AM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:27 AM
Ironweed

I guess I am in the complain camp, but I really don't care. Since I live in the area, I consider myself interested in the area's future. My M.O. is to be critical of things that I perceive as being messed up. I've said this before: SLC has great potential, and yet, full potential is not even close to being realized. The development of apartments in the city is a good thing, which is several decades overdue. I personally think they are under-doing it. If anyone believes the future population projections, the city should be building taller than six to ten stories. The city needs to actively engage in luring larger business downtown. Or at a minimum, be the top office space provider along the Wasatch Front. The fact they have failed to do so is utterly unacceptable. It is kind of funny that a day or two after we discovered that "Draper?" Was not even on the map for being considered for AMZN II, that we hear about the Northwest Corridor master plan. Also today, it was announced that tech summit announced that it expects it's downtown convention to grow from 14000 participants to 75,000. The hope is to become THE event for the tech business. I can't help but think the city is trying to say: "See?! We're doing stuff!" Sure, ok. What are the city, state, and developers going to do to limit the three ugly monsters of traffic, pollution and sprawl? I wanna believe, but actions speak louder than words.

On a side note, go read some of the comments on KSL.com about "Utah?" not getting the Amazon two. It is a good indication of how many locals view growth. (Hint: No more growth is the prevalent theme.)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Apple to decide location of new campus without public bidding process
By Mikey Campbell
Thursday, January 18, 2018

"Following comments from CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday, Apple on Thursday confirmed it will not hold a public auction to decide the site of a new U.S. campus that will be built in part using money repatriated from the company's overseas cash hoard."

Source: appleinsider.com

I think Utah ought to update its Amazon proposal and send it to Apple, anyway.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:11 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Apple to decide location of new campus without public bidding process
By Mikey Campbell
Thursday, January 18, 2018

"Following comments from CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday, Apple on Thursday confirmed it will not hold a public auction to decide the site of a new U.S. campus that will be built in part using money repatriated from the company's overseas cash hoard."

Source: appleinsider.com

I think Utah ought to update its Amazon proposal and send it to Apple, anyway.
Good! They can just buy land in a place that they feel is right instead of having everyone try to suck them off to get the bid. Utah doesn’t know how to properly suck anyone off anyway... so it doesn’t matter.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:12 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

At the very least I think the airport thread should be merged in to the transportation thread.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:14 PM

I propose the following threads:
1.) Salt Lake City
2.) Wasatch Front (outside of SLC)
3.) Transit
4.) St. George and MSA
Maybe a thread for the airport given the scale of the project.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I propose the following threads:
1.) Salt Lake City
2.) Wasatch Front (outside of SLC)
3.) Transit
4.) St. George and MSA
Maybe a thread for the airport given the scale of the project.
So Ogden and Provo are lumped in the same thread but St. George which is likely to never actually get a skyscraper even as tall as Provo's high rises gets its own thread? If you are going to link everything on the Wasatch Front together, just do it all, don't create a donut

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:21 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

1) Salt Lake City
2) Salt Lake County MSA
2) Utah County
3) North Utah (north and west of Salt Lake county)
4) South Utah (south of Utah county)
5) Utah Transpertation

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West