HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks like the trash mountains from Wall E. Absolute garbage. The focus of many, both academically and professionally towards nonsensical, impractical paper architecture over practical socially beneficial design is one of the biggest things that turned me off about studying architecture. Its one thing to dream big, but this is just vomit.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Jul 16, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:22 PM

Let's forget that dumb alternate design and get back to Jean Nouvel's, shall we?

This is from Noyoka over at WNY:

Quote:
The next step in the ULURP process is a City Planning Commission hearing. It will be held on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 starting at 10 a.m. in Spector Hall, 22 Reade Street (right off Broadway and near City Hall). This is far more important that the Community Board meetings as this will actually result in a decision with bearance on the approval of the project. Unfortunately I am unable to attend this meeting but I am happy to be the liaison between this forum and the people at the MOMA. Since these meetings are more important it would be great if we had a greater turnout this time around. Please contact me ASAP.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:23 PM

Anyone that can go and show support for this project, please do so. This is the most important step in the whole process. If City Planning does not approve, it gets stopped.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:33 PM

You guys need to go because if you don't, the NIMBYs will.

From curbed.com:
Quote:
Meanwhile, community groups opposed to Nouvel's massive miracle machine are trying to rally the troops for the July 22 City Planning meeting. Tower Verre has already been roasted at the Community Board level, but those votes are merely advisory. There are bigger stakes in the City Planning fight, and an e-mail making the rounds screams, "Last chance to show the City Planning Commission how we feel about a monster tower next-door to MoMA!" Members of the public will be granted three minutes to say what's on their mind. C'mon, City Planning, is that really enough time for the riled-up Midtowners to get out all their rage?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:37 AM
Landmark Restored

Thanks antinimby.

I encourage everybody and anybody to voice your opinion to the City Planning Commission. I won't be able to attend this meeting because of work so I'm going to write in, a write in is held with just as much importance as actually speaking. Given the huge international presence here we have the opportunity to silence the nimby complaints with support. Even if you don't live in NY I think you should write in because this building will redefine the world's premier city making this project's impact international. That said here's how...

# Please mail to:

CITY PLANNING COMMISSION
Calendar Information Office - Room 2E
22 Reade Street, New York, N.Y. 10007

Or fax to:
(212)720-3219

Please include the following pieces of information:
• Your name;
• Your address;
• The organization which you represent, and your position, if any;
• Subject and ULURP or CEQR Application #
• Borough.

Please note that while the Department cannot respond to each letter individually, each correspondence the Commission receives is included in the official record for that application.

For the ULUP or CEQR Application # use one of the following: 09DCP004M , 090431ZSM , or 090432ZSM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 4:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Thanks antinimby.

I encourage everybody and anybody to voice your opinion to the City Planning Commission. I won't be able to attend this meeting because of work so I'm going to write in, a write in is held with just as much importance as actually speaking.
I won't be home for another couple of weeks, but I can send a letter of support. While I do think it will be approved, despite the NIMBYs, any support at this point is more than welcome and will counter those annoying people.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 9:53 PM

It's too late to send by snail mail now. Won't get there in time for the commissioners (or their assistants) to log them in.

Gotta fax it. Don't forget to include the application #'s or your letters will get misplaced.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

Anyone want to pay for a plane ticket for me to NYC so I can attend the meeting? Pretty Please. No, but seriously. If I lived in nyc, id make room in my schedule to voice my opinion so this baby can get built.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 1:08 AM
Hopeful Graduate

So to clarify this building is pending approval?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:23 AM

yes for the next 12 hours ^^

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:22 PM

for today ...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:31 PM

The hearing is going on right now. If anyone from here attended, please report what happened. I am so nervous and anxious.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:23 PM
Ω

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:03 PM
World Machine

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 10:30 PM
Vamotabbe Pa

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 11:52 PM

Any word on the outcome of today's meeting?

Not to be a negative nancy - but I can imagine the height of the tower getting clipped a bit through the approval process. Often developers will over propose SF or height with the expectation that the tower size will be reduced.

That said, I hope I'm wrong and it's approved in all its height and glory!!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 7:27 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 9:12 AM
don't *meddle*...

any news? i can't sleep, i'm going out for a jog.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 10:11 AM

from http://curbed.com/archives/2009/07/2...r_showdown.php

2 opposite projects (Nouvel's fabulous tower against a beckmann's small pile of shit), still no decisions.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 11:10 AM

Wow! Jean Nouvel looks really annoyed in those pictures! What is striking about his tower is how it is of its time yet it really does allude to the classic New York skyscraper with its setbacks and spires.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive