HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 9:53 PM

Project was approved by the Design Commission on Thursday. Here is their final presentation [PDF - 40MB]. I'll post the images up sometime this week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:51 AM
A before E

I really hope the whole courtyard and design overall is a success. I want to like it because I feel like it is trying to be more European, but I feel like it is gonna end up being an American's bad impression of European design.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 7:31 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I don't think the courtyard will be successful. Even if this were built in the Pearl, I think they'd struggle to get people to come into the courtyard to shop and dine. I think it'd take a bigger attraction to lure people in. A true destination is required. If they'd built theaters to replace the ones that will be torn down it would have been an instant success because theaters are a destination attraction. I expect anything less to struggle there.

I hope it's successful, but I doubt it will be.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 7:45 PM

The theaters aren't being torn down, at least until a potential future phase.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 8:10 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The theaters aren't being torn down, at least until a potential future phase.
Oh, I know that if it happens, it's still quite a while from now... I just meant that theaters would be the kind of destination that could lure people into a space like this. I don't think typical retail would be enough of a draw, but time will tell.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Oh, I know that if it happens, it's still quite a while from now... I just meant that theaters would be the kind of destination that could lure people into a space like this. I don't think typical retail would be enough of a draw, but time will tell.
But for now the thread of hope is that the foot traffic from Sullivan's Gulch to Max and back and the theater foot traffic from MAX to Regal (until phase 2 anyway) well keep the courtyard active and viable.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 6:24 PM
Semi-Lurker

There is also the foot traffic from the roughly 700 new dwelling units on this site to consider.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 7:21 PM

I don't see the theaters surviving its loss of proximate parking or the massive construction project next door that will likely render it difficult even for pedestrians to approach them. The litigation with Cypress Equities centers around this tangible issue. That said, there's much to recommend keeping the theaters somewhere in Lloyd, maybe in the old Nordstrom space. Everything is negotiable from this perspective and I suspect it all comes down to "how much" pain each party is willing to absorb.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:18 AM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:55 AM

Looks like the Lloyd 10 parking lot is closing in March.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Looks like the Lloyd 10 parking lot is closing in March.
I was just in there to see Black Panther last night, I'll miss the interior... Its a very 90s time capsule. But, I'm looking forward to some slightly more modern amenities in the new location. Reserved seating is a game changer.

That said I'm excited to see this project break ground. While I'm a little bit skeptical of how it will feel at the street level I think this project is still going to liven up the area considerably.

The additional eyes on the park should also hopefully do a lot for safety... or at the very least mitigate whatever the opposite of eyes on the street is that the Lloyd center "provides".

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post
I was just in there to see Black Panther last night, I'll miss the interior... Its a very 90s time capsule. But, I'm looking forward to some slightly more modern amenities in the new location. Reserved seating is a game changer.

That said I'm excited to see this project break ground. While I'm a little bit skeptical of how it will feel at the street level I think this project is still going to liven up the area considerably.

The additional eyes on the park should also hopefully do a lot for safety... or at the very least mitigate whatever the opposite of eyes on the street is that the Lloyd center "provides".
Holladay park has seen it's worst days, and after the chairs were placed a few years ago, saw a lot more people using it. 1510 Multnomah is going to make it a place where–fingers crossed–it'll be a movies-in-the-park type place.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:01 AM

I wish the height rules encouraged more variety in building heights. E.g. X feet average and Y feet max.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:12 PM

I don't know if this has been posted already but Holst has a bunch of pretty renderings up for 1400 NE Multnomah on their website.

http://www.holstarc.com/portfolio/1400-ne-multnomah

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:39 PM

It seemed like the lot had been closed when I was past on Tuesday night, it was still time the movies would be showing but no cars on that side of Multnomah and all entrances chained. Good sign?

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 10:52 AM

The lot closed a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, there were landscape workers sprucing the lot up. If construction were imminent, this is not really a good sign.

I don't know anything, but the developer may be overextended here. This is a huge project being undertaken by a small LLC with problems finding the necessary subcontractors. Ground should have broken 18 months ago. Something's wrong here.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:37 PM

From the Willamette Week:

Quote:
To make matters worse, there's some evidence Portland rents will decline no further. Developers are backing away from housing projects in Portland right now, because banks have clamped down on financing and construction costs are up.

A high-profile project slated for the Lloyd Cinemas site was put up for sale this year—the developer is walking away. Another large housing complex in the Lloyd District has delayed breaking ground.
My understanding is that there's a change in the ownership group, and that the remaining owners in the partnership are willing to either sell the entire project or bring in a new partner.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:40 PM

Permits now approved to issue

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Permits now approved to issue
Does that mean there has been developer activity on this? Or is it just the process finishing itself out and then it sits there? It would be amazing if this moved forward. Shocking but amazing. The parking looks so pitiful, sitting there, empty.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Does that mean there has been developer activity on this? Or is it just the process finishing itself out and then it sits there?
Could go either way. Some current projects have sat in Approved to Issue for some time, including Press Blocks (since May), Zeal Lofts (since June), 245 SW Salmon Hotel (since March) and 151 SE Alder (since May). Others, like 15 NW Park Ave, sat in approved for a day or two.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland