HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:43 AM
proboscum

Yeah, a lot of the people on this site probably overlook Tokyo because it doesn't have any supertall highrises (and likely isn't going to) like they're building in China and Dubai and whatnot. But as you said, the impressiveness of Tokyo is not the height of the buildings, but the fact that they are just everywhere. You're right that pictures don't do it justice, because it's impossible to get everything into one picture. The only places you can get pictures of the entire Tokyo skyline are with a telephoto lens from Yokohama or Chiba (maybe Saitama too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
Its not that I think Tokyo should not have buildings that are new, different, and all that - its just the city is absolutely amazing and stunning as it is. Its not like you think, "Wow, this is a ugly/lame city" - it is the opposite.
To be perfectly honest with you, as I briefly mentioned above, I think Tokyo does need more interesting buildings. The majority of the buildings going up now I would describe as either nice looking, but not especially memorable, or sometimes slightly boring (residential buildings are sometimes pretty dull). Take for instance the GranTokyo Towers on the north and south sides of Tokyo station. These are the tallest buildings in the area and are supposed to be a kind of landmark thing for Tokyo station. But honestly, they are little more than big glass boxes which, while nice looking, are not especially memorable, aside from their impressive size. Interesting designs or not, Tokyo will still be impressive, but sometimes I feel like most clients are just too afraid to try more daring designs.

Last edited by LeeWilson; Jun 13, 2007 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 2:52 AM

Yes, it would make it better - but what is already there is really cool :-)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 4:31 AM
Puyo!

For those people who want to know how badass Tokyo is, even without the supertalls.

I found this through the google image search at this: http://www.popamericana.com/!/tokyo%20at%20night.jpg

This picture show the front, left, right, back all around view. This is just what Tokyo is. LeeWilson is right, Tokyo is just simple everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 4:35 AM

^beautiful picture. it makes me miss the Tokyo area so much i wanna cry sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
For those people who want to know how badass Tokyo is, even without the supertalls.

I found this through the google image search at this: http://www.popamericana.com/!/tokyo%20at%20night.jpg

This picture show the front, left, right, back all around view. This is just what Tokyo is. LeeWilson is right, Tokyo is just simple everywhere.
Yep, that’s a nice photo.

But I think it really highlights the issue.
From looking at that photo you can see the clusters of buildings and while there are no super-tall’s there are some tall ones that are easily over looked, like look at Roppongi hills (238 m) 780ft it barely stands out, if you didn’t know about Shinjuku then again you would completely overlook it.

Also the photo is missing Tokyo newest and tallest building, Mid Town.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 7:08 AM
proboscum

Interesting picture. I might as well post a couple I took so you can compare in the daytime, from different angles. One is from last summer from the World Trade Center Building, and the other is one I took earlier this year from the Rainbow Bridge.

WTC

Rainbow Bridge

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 9:47 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
^beautiful picture. it makes me miss the Tokyo area so much i wanna cry sometimes.
lol thanks, same here. Everytime I look at the pictures of amazing Tokyo, it always make me want to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1077 View Post
Yep, that’s a nice photo.

But I think it really highlights the issue.
From looking at that photo you can see the clusters of buildings and while there are no super-tall’s there are some tall ones that are easily over looked, like look at Roppongi hills (238 m) 780ft it barely stands out, if you didn’t know about Shinjuku then again you would completely overlook it.

Also the photo is missing Tokyo newest and tallest building, Mid Town.
Thanks

Yeah there is alot of tall building everywhere, they are just not really go together to develop a skyline, they are going on every place in Tokyo area. Yupp I notice it skip the Mid Town or maybe it is just taken before the Mid Town was built?

To LeeWilson

Awesome picture! I love your picture, I really do.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:48 AM

Also - it is amazing how many 'tall' buildings (5, 10, 15+ stories) you find way outside the city, and how the density is just astonishing even dozens of miles outside the city.

Going to Nikko, you just kept going and going, and it seemed like ultra-dense development didn't stop for ever (where NYC would have been single family homes on a half-acre, things in Tokyo were still as dense as they could have been).

Again, I cannot believe how much I saw, experienced, and learned there. Fascinating and amazing place to visit.

The other thing is the astonishing use of space - it appeared to me that every usable piece of the city was being used to its fullest. Made me realized how much wasted space there is in the USA.

Oh, and ~$5 USD buys you a nice lunch or dinner at AM/PM :-)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 2:37 AM

Hey guys...First, thank you for the interesting news about tokyo skyline.
Second I want to tell you that I just saw the sketch on this web site (under tokyo skyline folder) of the new building in Toranomon..250 meter..the shape is really fantanstic. so futuristic..Lee Wilson, do you have any more details?
thanks..

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 7:15 AM
proboscum

The plan itself is not new, and has been in development for some time. The plan is an extension of the expressway from Shiodome in Shimbashi to the Toranomon 1-22 to 1-26 area and a road extending from there right up to the Kasumigaseki and JT buildings. The design of the building in question was up until now just a 205 m tall grey box located at the expresway exit, with two other buildings nearby. I much prefer this new design, but I haven't found any renderings online for this building. I am interested to know where Seven stars got this information.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 7:25 AM
proboscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
Yupp I notice it skip the Mid Town or maybe it is just taken before the Mid Town was built?
That's right, this picture was taken before Mid-Town was built. If you look to the right of Roppongi Hills you can see the Shinjuku skyline in the background, and directly under it you can see a dark space, about halfway down, to the right of the brightly lit road. That's the construction site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:45 AM

Nice shoots...By the way any news about the Nishi-Shinjuku project? Lately I have been in Shinjuku and I noticed that the area where the building is supposed to be built is still full of houses...It seems that the project can`t never be done in 2 years (according to the project completed in 2010).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 11:08 AM

heres a couple pics I took today with my phone, please excuse the quality.

From my office, anybody know what the building going up on the left is?

shinjuku

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 11:30 PM
proboscum

Thanks for the picture of the progress on Mode Gakuen. It sure is whiter than I expected from the renderings.
The one under construction on the left of your top picture is Akasaka Tower Residence.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 9:20 PM
Puyo!

Interesting picture Rich, I like the white crossing around the windows, look amazing! It do look different than the picture.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 2:48 PM

It s now available the new edition of 未来地図..interesting old and new projects in Tokyo area...of course full of new buildings sketches

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 3:35 PM
proboscum

Oh really? Thanks, I'll have to buy that one. The old one was quite informative.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:07 PM
proboscum

I got the book and I have updated the renderings in the second post with some photos from it. I have also updated the building information somewhat.

According to the book, it seems like the original design for the Nishi-Shinjuku 3-chome redevelopment has been abandoned in favour of the alternate design. This still looks like a preliminary rendering though, so I think the designs are likely change somewhat. It has a proposed completion date of 2012, but no idea when they plan to start construction.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:12 PM
proboscum

Weird, it didn't bump it to the top.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 11:03 PM
proboscum

I've been busy with other things, but I'll update this list soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations