HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
your cornerstone is on the move...

Wow, most excellent! Thank you for the great find! I'm still curious to know what items they found inside it...

Another question that's been bugging me: Where do you suppose the cornerstone was kept for the 36 years between the demolition of the old Court House and the erection of the present Justice Center on that site in 1972? That's a long time to keep something that large and that heavy in storage.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Wow, most excellent! Thank you for the great find! I'm still curious to know what items they found inside it...

Another question that's been bugging me: Where do you suppose the cornerstone was kept for the 36 years between the demolition of the old Court House and the erection of the present Justice Center on that site in 1972? That's a long time to keep something that large and that heavy in storage.
Yeah, I was hoping for more information when I ran across the pic but I've posted basically the whole archived caption here (I added the question mark). To have kept it safe for all those years and then to have actually remembered they had it is no mean feat considering the short institutional memory of our municipal government. I'd also like to know where the courthouse clock ended up. Hard to lose something that big. Have we talked about it before? Did I miss it?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
"Harry B. Carpenter founded the Carpenter's chain with his brother Charles and operated many locations in Los Angeles including: Sunset and Vine, Wilshire and Western, Wilshire and La Cienega, Wilshire and Vine, Pico and Vermont, Silver Lake and Glendale and Sunset and Virgil. In 1936, after separating from his brother, Charles E. Carpenter opened three Carpenter's Cafes. A transitional project Carpenter's Village (606 E. Colorado) combined a Rite Spot Cafe and Carpenter's drive-in. Next he opened the Rite Spot Cafe in Pasadena, located at 1500 West Colorado Street (now considered Eagle Rock) and the Santa Anita Cafe at Huntington and Colorado."
Previous Carpenter's images seemed to focus on or were attributed to Sunset and Vine location. USCDigital > http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8075 and > http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8076

1938 Carpenter's Village in Glendale 606 E Colorado (Wonder how that outdoor bowling worked out when it rained?)

lapl

Don't recall seeing images of the Rite Spot superstructure appearing in the background in above Carpenter's Village shots. Several "Rite Spots." Unclear that they shared much other than similar name, "Rite Spot."

Rite Spot in Pasadena (Undated photos from LAPL captioned as Rite Spot Pasadena

Sam's Rite Spot on Chautauqua Blvd and PCH in Santa Monica (undated)
USC Digital

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was hoping for more information when I ran across the pic but I've posted basically the whole archived caption here (I added the question mark). To have kept it safe for all those years and then to have actually remembered they had it is no mean feat considering the short institutional memory of our municipal government. I'd also like to know where the courthouse clock ended up. Hard to lose something that big. Have we talked about it before? Did I miss it?
This clock?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2465

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Yes! There it is and the story or at least the story up to '74. Makes me nervous to see Frank Shaw in a photograph with anything subsequently missing. Guess he couldn't get this in the trunk of his car. Wonder where the clock is now. Would like to see it remounted in some public place and put back in service as a clock. Thanks Biff.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:47 PM

"Flying Circus" ride - Venice Pier, 1916
It goes without saying, when the ride starts, "Hold on to your hat and loose change!"

SMPL

Virgina Reel

Race through the Clouds
Bottom four images from http://waterandpower.org/museum/Earl...ent_Parks.html

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Sep 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 8:00 PM

Heads up, fellow Noirishers! (If I may be so bold as to call you that.)

The esteemed John Bengston, who posts here on occasion, will be speaking this Saturday afternoon, Sept. 15th, at the Central Library. His presentation is called "Silent Footsteps: Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd in Downtown Los Angeles" and it sounds absolutely terrific.

More info available here: photofriendslapl.blogspot.com.

[image source: Photo Friends, Los Angeles Public Library]

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 9:22 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;4523246]^^^LOL. Sometimes I can be pretty slow.

I have those pics, but I never put two and two together that the pics are of the SAME tunnel until your explanation
"Here's the east end of the same tunnel."

No wonder I'm always confused by the tunnel pics. I never considered the other side of the hill. Duh!

below: A photo of the 3rd Street tunnel, west entrance.

usc digital archive

below: The only description on this photo was Hope Street, Bunker Hill.

Cal State Library

above: Can you imagine the sordid 'going-ons' inside the Hotel Elmar.

This is a good example of a photograph with 'noir' qualities.....
The transient SRO hotel...the lone man....the empty streets and overcast sky.[/QUOTE

"On Bunker Hill" says that the Hotel Elmar was located at 235 S. Hope. This would make it approximately where the Disney Hall is now (or the REDCAT) part of the building which faces Hope. While it is somewhat updated the retaining wall is still there and Hope is split as it goes through that area.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 11:47 PM

Found on ebay.

Does anyone recognize this house?...gaylordwilshire?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:24 AM

A boy with his pigeons.

cabinet card/ebay

below: reverse side.

__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

below: A color snapshot of the Gilmore Drive In in 1978. The single word on the marquee is 'closed'.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I've always loved the 6th Street Bridge. It's indeed a shame that it's gonna be demolished.

Here it is in 1933.

USC Archive
I absolutely agree sopas_ej. The 6th Street Bridge is amazing!

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1347589316063

Proposals for the new 6th Street span were unveiled yesterday in Boyle Heights. My personal favorite was by HNTB Corp. shown below.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/s...9bb2963f4.html

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/s...9bb2963f4.html

__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Found on ebay.

Does anyone recognize this house?...gaylordwilshire?

__

Knickrehm did a lot of house moving in the first decade of the 1900s--he moved quite a number of houses from streets closer to the business district south toward Adams Street and to the USC area. I've been poking around trying to find a reference to what might be the house in the picture, but so far no luck. I did find that he moved a couple of the Wolfskill palms we've seen here to the Harvard School's old campus at Western & Venice, one of which must be the one in the photo below.

Los Angeles Times 8-8-1902

LAPL

An old post on the Wolfskill palms:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4431

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:04 PM

writing on the "Barn Like" building

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The label on this photo was..."Looking southwest on Aliso Street from brewery".
The date is 1899.

usc digital archive

Below: This is also a view from the brewery in 1899. Would anyone have an idea what brewery they're referring to?

usc digital archive

I wish I could read the writing on the roof of the barn-like building on the right. It says Los Angeles.....something.
The sign on the roof of the building says "H. W. Stoll and Co. Los Angeles" They were a soda plant ( as in fizzy water) according to a newspaper article in The Los Angeles Herald of August 31, 1890 found in the Library of Congress. The article indicates that the H. W. Stoll and Co. was located at 500 Commercial Street in Los Angeles.

Last edited by oldstuff; Sep 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM. Reason: additional information

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:38 PM

I live across the pond so am slightly restricted in getting information - maybe someone could tell how I go about getting details of Los Angeles properties - ie date built - names of owners and dates owned - is there a web-site I could check this out - or is it restricted information ?

thanks - Bilbo

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:50 PM

Car Show at an undisclosed location.

Imported car show, 1958 (6)

Imported car show, 9 January 1958. Couldn’t be at the Sports Arena, too early by a year but no indication on the negatives where the thing was held.

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961

Imported car show, 1958 (5)

Actress Nobu McCarthy poses with a Japanese car, the Datsun.

Imported car show, 1958 (4)

Naomi Mooney leans against black Mercedes-Benz, is framed by Mercedes, left, and Jaguar, right.

Imported car show, 1958 (3)

Sherli Hill, rear, and Melody Ward, foreground, in Janus car. I don't know about you but when I see THAT girl in THAT backseat, I'm struck by how woefully inadequate it is.

Imported car show, 1958 (2)

Shari Stennette, queen of show, poses with Czech car, Skoda (destined for the dustbin of history).

Imported car show, 9 January 1958.

Georganne Hunter Nichol, 4, poses with Berkeley car. Don't know what they mean by the 'Berkeley' car, I'm not familiar with it. Frankly it looks like an AC to me.

These foreign car people don’t seem to know what a Car Show Girl is supposed to look like…well they know over at the Pan Pacific Auditorium…

Motorama Show at Pan Pacific, 1951 (2)

June Lyden, 18, assists Motorama Queen Barbara Ruick, 19, of MGM, into 25T modified roadster (hot-rod model).

Motorama Queen comes from good show business stock…and her contract is legal

Contract approval, 1951 (3)

Contract approval, 28 August 1951. Lurene Tuttle (mother and actress); Barbara Ruick -- 18 years (actress).

Motorama Show at Pan Pacific, 1951

I’m including this one just because I love the car which, alas, didn’t go into production (they never do).

Phyllis Avedon enhances the appearance of the new Buick XP-300 model.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
The sign on the roof of the building says "H. W. Stoll and Co. Los Angeles" They were a soda plant ( as in fizzy water) according to a newspaper article in The Los Angeles Herald of August 31, 1890 found in the Library of Congress. The article indicates that the H. W. Stoll and Co. was located at 500 Commercial Street in Los Angeles.
This doesn't look like Commercial Street to me.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:46 PM

Amazing Thread!

Hi All, I'm new around here, I stumbled upon this thread about 4-5 weeks ago and have slowly been going post-by-post and soaking everything up. I'm only up to page 201!!

I'm a native Angelino, architect, and history buff. So this forum is right up my dark, dirty, alley.

I have so many comments/questions but I'm so far in the 'past' of the dialogue I'll hold my tongue as many of my thoughts may already have been added by others in the second half of the thread I haven't gotten to yet. I'm looking forward to reaching 'present day' in this noir thread and contributing to the discussion.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
I don't know if that is Commercial Street or not, but your find is amazing oldstuff. Good job!
__

Also, thanks for the information on William Knickrehm GW. It is much appreciated.
__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:

Imported car show, 9 January 1958. Couldn’t be at the Sports Arena, too early by a year but no indication on the negatives where the thing was held.

When those photos were taken, "the" big car show of the year was held at the Pan Pacific Auditorium. I can't tell if these specific pictures were taken at the PPA, though.

-Scott

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos