HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 10:04 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
I don't have nearly as much experience tracking SF development as you all...this appeal, worrisome or just a minor hurdle? Would love to see both Fremont Street projects and 45 Lansing make it through to completion, as well as Lumina, to really flush out Rincon Hill.
Appeals are all too common since they are ridiculously easy to make, but my feeling is that it's a minor hurdle. 45 Lansing's construction is well under way, finally rising out of an incredibly deep hole due to the levels of underground parking. The Lumina towers are definitely going to rise, so no problem there either. I also really want this project, and especially 399 Fremont, make it through to completion in the near future!

Last edited by viewguysf; Jan 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Appeals are all too common since they are ridiculously easy to make, but my feeling is that it's a minor hurdle. 45 Lansing's construction is well under way, finally rising out of an incredibly deep hole due to the levels of underground parking. The Lumina towers are definitely going to rise, so no problem there either. I also really want to this project, and especially 399 Fremont, make it through to completion in the near future!
Good to hear. This is my second most anticipated, behind 399 Fremont which I am borderline obsessed with. Lumina has yet to grow on me, although I know most love it. And 45 Lansing is easily my least favorite. Sort of funny that they are rising/have certainty in the reverse order of my preferences! Regardless, going to be a very beautiful neighborhood once completed.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:10 AM
She needs her space

So they are prepared to move quickly on this one - Crescent Heights, right? They did NEMA and are doing 45 Lansing a block away. I think they are chomping at the bit to build this beautiful baby. Hopfully the appeal doesn't take too long.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:23 AM

Appeal update

The appeal of the construction and demolition permits will be heard this Wednesday, February 19, according to the latest agenda posted by the Board of Appeals.

The appellant is the HOA for The Metropolitan. The agenda contains no information about what in particular they are protesting other than the permits finally being issued.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 11:08 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
The appellant is the HOA for The Metropolitan. The agenda contains no information about what in particular they are protesting other than the permits finally being issued.
They are protesting because they are super super jealous, and the tower will block their bay views...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:52 AM
dazzle me

seriously, with the way that appeals work, it would be wise for developers to get their approvals and early site work permitting done on nearby lots before the ~10 new soma residential towers begin to see occupancy ~2016. imagine the combined might of 2000 more tower view nimbys. it's natural, but i still shudder to consider it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:56 AM

I dunno how feasible this is, but when condo developers/HOAs/owners get approval to build and/or take over a parcel/building, they should be forced to sign a contract with the city that precludes them from opposing future condo developments in any other parcel in the city

too late now for Metropolitan, but could you imagine the irony when the developer/HOA/owner of 340-350 fremont begins opposing future developments for 2020 or thereafter?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 3:34 AM

The meeting is being broadcast on SFGovTV2: http://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/Med...?publish_id=47

Initially, it's all speakers in favor of the project, mostly construction union members.

The speaker in favor of the appeal (Mr. White) says they aren't opposed to the building's construction, but just its design. He's saying 340 Fremont has a unique design that's not necessarily earthquake safe, and that its 2006 design is not up to the latest standard. He's arguing for "elevated performance standards" instead of "minimum performance standards", mentioning its proximity to the PG&E substation. A commissioner is asking why a PG&E representative isn't at the meeting if the project's design is of concern.

Now a speaker in favor of the project says it's being built to 2010 code, not 2006. The developers of 340 Fremont tried to reach an agreement with The Metropolitan to underpin that building with tiebacks, but couldn't reach an agreement, so they will only do internal shoring. The developers of 340 Fremont haven't heard from PG&E about any concerns about the project.

And with that, the commission just voted 4-0 to deny the appeal and uphold the permits.

Last edited by minesweeper; Feb 20, 2014 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^Nice! I have high hopes that this building will turn out great.

A commenter at SocketSite said that the appeal was based on seismic concerns.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:02 AM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 7:21 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
A commenter at SocketSite said that the appeal was based on seismic concerns.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
So they are prepared to move quickly on this one - Crescent Heights, right? They did NEMA and are doing 45 Lansing a block away. I think they are chomping at the bit to build this beautiful baby. Hopfully the appeal doesn't take too long.
Actually, this one is by Equity Residential. Their only other SF project under way is Mission Bay Block 13. When Archstone was sold off, EQR also picked up development sites at 1000 16th St, 801 Brannan, and One Henry Adams, which all seem to be in some sort of holding pattern right now.

It looks like they were putting all their attention on getting 340 Fremont going, and then got hit with this 3 month appeal delay. It will be interesting to see how fast EQR starts demolition now. I wonder if they can get started as soon as today?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 8:42 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
Actually, this one is by Equity Residential. ... It will be interesting to see how fast EQR starts demolition now. I wonder if they can get started as soon as today?
it's hard to tell if there is active work on the interiors, but not much to see from the outside yet:

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:52 AM
She needs her space

^^^They've demo'd the shorter 2-story building on the right, and most of the taller building on the left:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:34 AM

Curbed has more photos of the ongoing demolition:

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._to_follow.php

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It looks to me like they've taken down almost everything (except one last small piece of wall on the south end of the site) and are pretty much just cleaning up the remaining ruble:

A peek through to the site from First St with cranes at other projects popping in from everywhere:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 2:15 AM
Green Berniecrat

Today 4.18.14:

Looks like most, if not all, of the demolition is complete?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:31 AM

Demolition must be done, because they held the ceremonial groundbreaking today.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO—It’s official. Today is the groundbreaking ceremony for Equity Residential’s 340 Fremont, the new modern landmark 40-story tower here in the Rincon Hill district of San Francisco.

http://www.globest.com/news/12_844/s...rt-345278.html
Quote:
Another luxury highrise residential tower begins its rise in San Francisco. Equity Residential, a very busy developer of late, recently started construction on a 40-story, 348-unit apartment tower at 340 Fremont St.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all
Quote:
Joined Equity Residential and @mayoredlee for the 340 Fremont groundbreaking ceremony this morning

https://twitter.com/sfdbi/status/459368051394105344

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:57 AM
Only Mostly Dead

It's really exciting to see all these Rincon Hill projects rise after years of envisioning them.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:16 AM
heavy user of walkability

charging ahead with digging...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive