HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:01 AM

I usually forget to post pictures here, but here are some recent images:

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

6th Street Bridge by Hunter, on Flickr

888 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

8th & Spring by Hunter, on Flickr

11th & Hill by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr

12th & Hope, Oceanwide Plaza, & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Downtown LA Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Mack Urban by Hunter, on Flickr

Mack Urban by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Onni 12th & Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Onni 50-Story by Hunter, on Flickr

Onni 50-Story by Hunter, on Flickr

South Park by Hunter, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jan 15, 2018 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:10 AM

Really cool to see the big screens going up on Circa. Can't wait for Oceanwide to get there! I wonder if it's possible to add a few onto the Staples Center? I noticed there are a few spaces that would be perfect that don't currently have any type of advertising on them. The more, the merrier.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:09 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:09 PM

Speaking of Geoff Palmer and his projects... I’m surprised to see this news has gone unnoticed. From Brigham Yen: West Elm has leased space for a new store in Broadway Palace. Palmer has leased a Downtown retail space to a major tenant.

http://brighamyen.com/2018/01/11/bre...town-la-store/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 1:17 AM
Heavy User

Great update Hunter!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:17 PM

Can someone explain the different colors on 820? It's kind of a disaster. Also, the podium on Mack Urban? I get it's not finished, but it should be interesting to see where exactly they go with it. I am happy downtown is getting towers, but damn.. Some of these they have really dropped the ball.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Can someone explain the different colors on 820? It's kind of a disaster. Also, the podium on Mack Urban? I get it's not finished, but it should be interesting to see where exactly they go with it. I am happy downtown is getting towers, but damn.. Some of these they have really dropped the ball.
Not sure if this was a rhetorical question or an actual one so I will do my best to explain. 820 has a 2 palate facade with one light glass/curtain wall and one dark. If you are basing assessment by looking at the photo update picture above from constructDTLA, that photo shows that the balconies are not yet finished being painted and so it looks like a gradual shade/spectrum of colors. This one you may need to hold judgment until finished. Onni did get the podium right on this one by hiding the parking behind residential units. And yes the podium on the Mack urban is huge and barren, but also on that ground level they are adding a public park. With both of these examples, there are trade offs. One has a podium done well, the other not as much but we get a park.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar90 View Post
Eater LA and Vanity Faire have gorgeous interiors of the about to open, Giannini Place (NoMad Hotel).

https://la.eater.com/2018/1/16/16897...-photos-inside
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...st-coast-debut

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:41 PM

Looks remarkable. What an addition to the city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Looks remarkable. What an addition to the city.
Agreed! Walked by there the other night. DTLA has some great older buildings!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 10:38 PM

Another conversation with a guy on the 820 Hill St. team: he confirmed 53 stories. Said they're currently on floor 47 (as of January 16), and said they have about 7 more weeks.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:12 AM

820 looks a bit interesting in person. It's like one side is Atlier and the other side is Level. But it's absolutely enormous. It's so tall, photos don't give it justice. I wasn't in downtown long but here's a few photos i took yesterday. Visibility was HORRENDOUS.

Untitled by mojeda101, on Flickr

I've always disliked the southern view of Pershing Square from Perch but with the addition of all the new towers it's really starting to grow on me.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:56 AM
life is good

Great photos/update Mojeda!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Eater LA and Vanity Faire have gorgeous interiors of the about to open, Giannini Place (NoMad Hotel).

I like this quote from the Vanity Faire article.....

Quote:
It’s no secret that downtown Los Angeles is in the midst of a rapid renaissance. But, for the past three years, chef Daniel Humm and restaurateur Will Guidara—the dynamic duo behind New York’s celebrated Eleven Madison Park and the NoMad—have quietly been reimagining the neighborhood’s historic Giannini Place building as the site for their first West Coast outpost.

“If you look around downtown, it’s not quite there yet, but when you look up, the buildings have so much history that it’s just unbelievable,” says Guidara.

the 'it's not quite there yet' is honest....but in the full context of where dtla was yrs ago, even over 70 yrs ago, the hood in certain ways is in better shape today than it has ever been in LA's history.

even during dt's heyday of the early 1900s, it didn't have much fashionable housing other than some Victorian houses on bunker hill & a few extended stay type places in the biltmore or alexandria hotel. But that was about it.

even bunker hill started losing its wealthier residents over 80 to 90 yrs ago.

dtla of 2018 is actually entering a level of quality that's a first in the 200 plus yrs of LA record keeping.

la.eater.com

Video Link

also, thanks for the pics & vids from mojeda, constructdtla & cesar90.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Not sure if this was a rhetorical question or an actual one so I will do my best to explain. 820 has a 2 palate facade with one light glass/curtain wall and one dark. If you are basing assessment by looking at the photo update picture above from constructDTLA, that photo shows that the balconies are not yet finished being painted and so it looks like a gradual shade/spectrum of colors. This one you may need to hold judgment until finished. Onni did get the podium right on this one by hiding the parking behind residential units. And yes the podium on the Mack urban is huge and barren, but also on that ground level they are adding a public park. With both of these examples, there are trade offs. One has a podium done well, the other not as much but we get a park.
From what I have seen in person, it seems only the NW and SE corners have the black facade. It looks odd and mismatched when viewed from every angle. It is what it is, I suppose. I just wish there was a bit more symmetry in terms of where the black is located. However, I agree lets wait until its finished before making a final judgement.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:51 PM

City West is such a odd neighborhood. But it's dense and growing pretty fast. So many 5-7 residential buildings. I'm just curious, are they mostly low income housing, outsider of the newer and larger complexes?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:

even during dt's heyday of the early 1900s, it didn't have much fashionable housing other than some Victorian houses on bunker hill & a few extended stay type places in the biltmore or alexandria hotel. But that was about it.

even bunker hill started losing its wealthier residents over 80 to 90 yrs ago.

dtla of 2018 is actually entering a level of quality that's a first in the 200 plus yrs of LA record keeping.

We're finally seeing a higher level of branding coming to DTLA, among retail. Although DTLA was never lacking in attracting serious restaurants, we've never had anyone on the level of Daniel Humm interested in DTLA. (Thomas Keller was in DTLA early in his career). In terms of renovation, the NoMad is easily the most serious since the Ace Hotel renovation. SoHo house will likely join that club.

Now we're seeing more national/international brands like Aesop, APC and West Elm.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
City West is such a odd neighborhood. But it's dense and growing pretty fast. So many 5-7 residential buildings. I'm just curious, are they mostly low income housing, outsider of the newer and larger complexes?
I live in City West. As for it being low-income, I doubt it. I can tell you that from Witmer east, things are really changing, but west of Witmer is a different story. Still kind of shitty all the way to Lafayette Park. The area by MacArthur? Disaster. Which is sad, because it could be a really beautiful park like Echo. I am sure most of the area will change dramatically in the next decade or so.

Also, random... Why do the homeless always hang around 7/11?? The one on Olive has a lot hanging outside. Not to mention, the Library. Really beautiful little park, too! The turf looks nice.

Hear me out - I get everyone says there needs to be solutions/housing for homeless individuals, but its such a complicated issue and most don't want to be truly honest about why most are in that predicament. Everyone has to be nice and politically correct, right? Anyway.. Why can't the city buy some land some place in the county, build some vital infrastructure and take them there? Feed and water them? Idk. I guess I am at a loss. I am probably a POS for thinking this... huh?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
I live in City West. As for it being low-income, I doubt it. I can tell you that from Witmer east, things are really changing, but west of Witmer is a different story. Still kind of shitty all the way to Lafayette Park. The area by MacArthur? Disaster. Which is sad, because it could be a really beautiful park like Echo. I am sure most of the area will change dramatically in the next decade or so.

Also, random... Why do the homeless always hang around 7/11?? The one on Olive has a lot hanging outside. Not to mention, the Library. Really beautiful little park, too! The turf looks nice.

Hear me out - I get everyone says there needs to be solutions/housing for homeless individuals, but its such a complicated issue and most don't want to be truly honest about why most are in that predicament. Everyone has to be nice and politically correct, right? Anyway.. Why can't the city buy some land some place in the county, build some vital infrastructure and take them there? Feed and water them? Idk. I guess I am at a loss. I am probably a POS for thinking this... huh?
Because people are pansies. Thats exactly what should happen.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Anyway.. Why can't the city buy some land some place in the county, build some vital infrastructure and take them there? Feed and water them? Idk. I guess I am at a loss.
That idea wouldn't really work out since you're essentially creating a ghetto that will foster criminal activity and will require a ton of police/fire/ambulance to maintain. Just imagine the kids who'd come out of a 3rd world shithole that is literally full of junkies and mentally ill people. This solution would just create bigger problems down the line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations