HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 5:15 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I doubt that IKEA is going to completely change its North American business model for Winnipeg. It's a big-box store surrounded by acres of parking.

probably,

didn't center venture want to build parkades downtown maybe there could be a cost share on building one.

I remember reading somewheres that Home depot and canadian tire are looking into having stores that fit the needs of downtown, meaning probably smaller stores nonetheless it does add density. I wish the canadian tire didn't move away from balmoral/salter and notre dame, I already miss it.

In vancouver they have a big box store like Future shop right downtown and it occupies two floors.

I think we could should promote this idea what to Ikea and city; if it works in vancouver why not here it would bring more people downtown.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 2:11 AM
GQMF

I need Ikea badly. I'm just about done renovating my house and all I need is furniture!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
In vancouver they have a big box store like Future shop right downtown and it occupies two floors.

I think we could should promote this idea what to Ikea and city; if it works in vancouver why not here it would bring more people downtown.
Please don't compare Future Shop to IKEA. Probably more people in IKEA when it's closed than on a good day in Future Shop.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 3:09 AM
Dreamer

It is obvious to me, and should be to you, that IKEA already has land in mind and that is the basis for their current decision to come to Wpg ... their spokesperson said so much on her radio interview with Margot Watt. She was obviously annoyed by how many times Margot asked where the land is. I think the most you are going to get out of IKEA is an open house to discuss the current site they are purchasing, and pressure them for good links to transit lines and encourage better pedestrian access.

They are however the only store I know that has postings at the entrance for how to access the store using public transit. Remember that in Calgary and Edmonton, they have moved from more transit-accessible areas to edge of City, cluster-sprawled retail areas ... in Winnipeg they will do the same, and the car will be the only factor for a location decision. Unlike MEC, this will never be a downtown chain, nor should it be - cost/sq. foot of retail space in downtown alone would drive that decision. Remember that IKEA is also a warehouse ... how many warehouses can afford a prominent downtown location to store their goods. IKEA founding principle was to supply lower cost goods to consumers by passing their savings on to the consumer ... that's why you assemble it.

I have to tell you, the best part for me about having an IKEA that you can visit frequently is the damaged goods area near the exit. If you frequent it enough, you can find most of the items you want for half the cost or more because someone poorly assembled it, or it's got a small scratch, or it's discontinued. These are the bargains that will bring Winnipeggers back in frequently ... the $1 breakfast also helps.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 3:49 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
It is obvious to me, and should be to you, that IKEA already has land in mind and that is the basis for their current decision to come to Wpg ... their spokesperson said so much on her radio interview with Margot Watt. She was obviously annoyed by how many times Margot asked where the land is. I think the most you are going to get out of IKEA is an open house to discuss the current site they are purchasing, and pressure them for good links to transit lines and encourage better pedestrian access.

They are however the only store I know that has postings at the entrance for how to access the store using public transit. Remember that in Calgary and Edmonton, they have moved from more transit-accessible areas to edge of City, cluster-sprawled retail areas ... in Winnipeg they will do the same, and the car will be the only factor for a location decision. Unlike MEC, this will never be a downtown chain, nor should it be - cost/sq. foot of retail space in downtown alone would drive that decision. Remember that IKEA is also a warehouse ... how many warehouses can afford a prominent downtown location to store their goods. IKEA founding principle was to supply lower cost goods to consumers by passing their savings on to the consumer ... that's why you assemble it.

I have to tell you, the best part for me about having an IKEA that you can visit frequently is the damaged goods area near the exit. If you frequent it enough, you can find most of the items you want for half the cost or more because someone poorly assembled it, or it's got a small scratch, or it's discontinued. These are the bargains that will bring Winnipeggers back in frequently ... the $1 breakfast also helps.
Yes after awhile I learned to head for the "damaged goods area" since at least that stuff was already assembled. Honestly, it's hard to see what's so exciting about IKEA other than as a sort of status symbol for the city. It was fun the first couple of times but I'd never go back there again voluntarily -- it takes too long to find anything and most of the furniture could be obtained in equivalent quality for the same price at the Bay or other furniture stores.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Margot Watt is the the worst interviewer ever.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 6:46 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
... it takes too long to find anything and most of the furniture could be obtained in equivalent quality for the same price at the Bay or other furniture stores.
I would disagree ... especially about price. As a designer, I think I would chose some apparel from IKEA before the Bay. I also don't just furnish with IKEA. My first 'Bay' sofa held up poorly while the IKEA one surprised us and will long out-live it. I have to say, I am very disappointed by the furnishing stores and who they cater to ... there are 2 types around, traditional and modern ... and the modern stores are way overpriced for what they offer, and the service is horrific. I have chosen first to design and make the items that are most important to me ... then I shop around. IKEA is nice because you don't have to deal with the 6 weeks delivery dates of EQ3 (and others). But as a designer, I do recommend IKEA ... many other Architects would do so as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 6:56 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Margot Watt is the the worst interviewer ever.
She is different in each interview, so I could not fully agree. Some times she is way too abrasive; and other times she is forgiving and open. I have been on-air with her and was treated royally by her. Ultimately, she is a journalist, so we can never truly understand her or the demands on her. I have much lesser opinions of others in journalism.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

our curent selection of journalists in this city is prity bad everytime we get someone good toronto comes on over and scoops them away

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 3:46 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I would disagree ... especially about price. As a designer, I think I would chose some apparel from IKEA before the Bay. I also don't just furnish with IKEA. My first 'Bay' sofa held up poorly while the IKEA one surprised us and will long out-live it. I have to say, I am very disappointed by the furnishing stores and who they cater to ... there are 2 types around, traditional and modern ... and the modern stores are way overpriced for what they offer, and the service is horrific. I have chosen first to design and make the items that are most important to me ... then I shop around. IKEA is nice because you don't have to deal with the 6 weeks delivery dates of EQ3 (and others). But as a designer, I do recommend IKEA ... many other Architects would do so as well.
Yes, at the low end the prices are very good, no question. Also for household trinkets and kitchen objects, lighting, etc., you can get something with a bit of design flair to it for a good price. And if you were trying to design a whole interior it is great as a one-stop shop that won't break the bank. It's just that IKEA in my mind is tainted with memories of grad school when everyone I knew had the same wobbly IKEA furniture.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:14 AM
I am a typical

It's probably wobbly because they didn't build it right.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
It is obvious to me, and should be to you, that IKEA already has land in mind and that is the basis for their current decision to come to Wpg ... their spokesperson said so much on her radio interview with Margot Watt.
....this thing is further along than the media has reported and you have a keen eye to notice this c vist.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:41 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's further along yes, but don't hold your breath for any shovels to hit the ground for a few years yet.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it's further along yes, but don't hold your breath for any shovels to hit the ground for a few years yet.

Right i was going to mention it is probably still at least two years away from construction.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:47 PM

I think my post on page 5 (#85) may very well be true ! Although, I did ask that same contact a couple of weeks ago and they haven't heard anything new .

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:58 PM

Quote:
She is different in each interview, so I could not fully agree. Some times she is way too abrasive; and other times she is forgiving and open. I have been on-air with her and was treated royally by her. Ultimately, she is a journalist, so we can never truly understand her or the demands on her. I have much lesser opinions of others in journalism.
My comment wasn't exactly fair (and not appropriate for this topic) but she's ticked me off a couple of times, asking leading questions and going for the sound bite rather than get the whole story. That being said I dislike most media, except for Chantal Hebert on the At Issue panel. She's fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:28 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
....this thing is further along than the media has reported and you have a keen eye to notice this c vist.
Just an ear that works ... I dropped $600 in IKEA this afternoon, so I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Just an ear that works ... I dropped $600 in IKEA this afternoon, so I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy.
Did ya at least get some Swedish meatballs?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Maybe there will even be an announcement in a COUPLE of weeks......

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:41 PM

Just let me know where I should order my cabinets from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan