HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I've been trying to work on a thread for the Pier development but the info available is so bad/non-existent that it's frustrating. It's difficult to even find pics of the three completed condos of phase 1 and 2 north of Esplanade.
I did a search for "versatile shipyard" on the City of North Vancouver's website and came up with a few documents with renderings (although they're probably outdated now).

Here's the Lower Lonsdale Neighbourhood Development Guide...
http://www.cnv.org/c/DATA/2/171/LOWE...NT%20GUIDE.PDF

Here's a CNV site devoted to the development...
http://www.cnv.org/server.aspx?c=2&i=111

Hope that helps.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:10 AM

New building on the corner of Esplanade and Chesterfield, across from the theater, next to IGA, and replacing the Thai restaurant, announced its tenants. There will be a TD bank and a Boston Pizza.

The theater plus a boston pizza should be enough to draw crowds.

A rather bizarre cafe has opened at the base of the Pier. It shows art, including a bollywood movie in a large empty room, and has a few tables in quite a large space. Recently it looks to be retooling to be more of a Cafe. If it survives it likely will do alright once the hotel opens.

Still gunning for a nice bookstore to open in lower lonsdale.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
See ya down under, mates

Ugh Boston Pizza. Better than nothing though.

When are we gonna get a VanCity in the CNV?

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 4:36 AM
Site 8 Lives

Two years ago there was not a single bank in Lower Lonsdale. So having a TD and an RBC is a major breakthrough, albeit a boring one.

On the other hand, a Boston Pizza is almost a setback -- unless their pizza has improved recently, which I am unaware of.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 6:00 AM
See ya down under, mates

I am happy to see anything other than coffee shops and hair stylists open up shop in LL. As someone who doesn't drink coffee and buzz cuts his hair it really sucks that every other store is one of those two.

Last edited by Pinion; May 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 5:56 PM

Bike lanes have been painted on both sides Esplanade east of Lonsdale. I believe this is part of the Spirit Trail since through the Pier development the trail is pedestrian only. With the western extension of the trail through native lands near the pier the trail is coming along nicely. There is also very visual construction of the trail at the mall in west van.

I'm really glad to see the bike lanes. North Vancouver bike lanes are a disaster, they just seem to randomly start and stop. Esplanade is also way wider than necessary, it kills the flow of the block going down the hill on Lonsdale. They should look at what they did on marine way in yaletown and put a strip of greenery between the lanes.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Two years ago there was not a single bank in Lower Lonsdale. So having a TD and an RBC is a major breakthrough, albeit a boring one.

On the other hand, a Boston Pizza is almost a setback -- unless their pizza has improved recently, which I am unaware of.
I've never actually known anybody who went to Boston Pizza for the pizza.

Which is probably good, cuz

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 5:56 AM

Any further info on the concert properties proposal for the North Shore's west waterfront ? I'm thrilled a developer is at least proposing this. The current 'use' of that part of the shore is simply a horror. It could be absolutely tremendous if medium density living extended to that part of North Vancouver. Its currently a planning disaster on prime property with car dealers, a school, a spa and chunks of empty land sitting on stunning waterfront property. It would also give the proposed street car a place to go from lower lonsdale.

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenew...9-fb4335866281

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I've never actually known anybody who went to Boston Pizza for the pizza.

Which is probably good, cuz
I agree. Their pizza sucks! Their pasta is numero uno though!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 12:38 AM
Site 8 Lives

The Pier Hotel at the corner of Esplanade and Lonsdale is slated to open in November. It is actually starting to take shape nicely, and will include a small convention space (probably useful for the North Shore). Unfortunately, it does not -yet- have a name hotel (ie, Westin or Marriott) for the facility.

Personally, this would be a great opportunity for one of the up-and-coming hotel brands (ie, Residence Inn, which is a sub-brand of the Marriott chain) to establish their brand on the North Shore, as there are really only or two hotels you could stay at currently in the area for business.

The large structure shrouded in white that is visible from downtown Vancouver is a massive restored crane, which should add some character to the area. A performance stage close by has also been installed recently.

It will be interesting to see whether the area can become the public gathering place as envisioned by planners.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 11:38 PM

Sept 2, 2009 Global Air Photo:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:27 AM

The Boston Pizza opened up on Esplanade and Chesterfield. The TD bank below it looks near complete. There are also many empty bays along the finished and still to be finished towers in The Pier development. Depending on the retail mix the entire block to block could become quite lively.

I wonder how long before the block right in front of the Quay will start to be developed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 6:21 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
The Boston Pizza opened up on Esplanade and Chesterfield. The TD bank below it looks near complete. There are also many empty bays along the finished and still to be finished towers in The Pier development. Depending on the retail mix the entire block to block could become quite lively.
I was told by a saleswoman in the Pier showroom that nothing streetside on the south side of Esplanade will be retail. I'm hoping she's clueless but it really does look that way to me, the more it develops. What a waste of rare flat land. Esplanade could be a major pedestrian shopping area but they're gonna screw it up.

It looks like there may be retail on the small part of Lonsdale the hotel occupies though.

BTW I plan to update the Pier development thread with new photos in the next week or so, assuming weather cooperates. The latest photos are really out of date now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 8:03 PM
See ya down under, mates

I've noticed slowly but surely all the empty Lower Lonsdale ave retail is coming back to life. Several new stores. But I just found out I love Sushi went under. 3rd street is still no place for a successful business.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 11:50 PM

Really nice looking restaurant appears to be opening soon called FishWorks, where the 'Cook Your Dinner' place used to be. Just up from Esplanade and Lonsdale on the West Side.

"I was told by a saleswoman in the Pier showroom that nothing streetside on the south side of Esplanade will be retail". In my opinion unless they reduce the scale of Esplanade on the East side it can't be a decent pedestrian area, the street is far too wide.

Last edited by jozero; Oct 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:35 AM
Site 8 Lives

Sounds like a wave of crime is rocking Lower Lonsdale... what else is new...
this press release was issued by the RCMP last week...

North Vancouver - North Vancouver RCMP issues further warning about Theft from Vehicles.

The North Vancouver RCMP has recently identified a noticeable trend in thefts from vehicles in the Lower Lonsdale Corridor and is working hard on locating a suspect.

This is an opportune moment to once again remind the public about the importance of removing any and all belongings, valuable or not, from their vehicles even if parking only momentarily. It is crucial to take out ipods, Global Positioning Satellite (GPS), any sums of money and during the Holiday Season, Christmas gifts.

It is hoped that the residents of North Vancouver will take these small steps to help avoid becoming a victim of crime.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 2:52 AM
BANNED

I see the Raincity cafe has closed and the goalie store as for lease sign in the window. Wonder what will go in.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:27 AM
Site 8 Lives

Rain City? Wow. The owner put a lot of money into that site, from what I hear.

Interestingly enough, that was the Nimbies-friendly cafe where Ivan Leanord and his followers used to gather when they were plotting against the Site 8 tower. The cafe itself was pretty vocal against the project.

Ironically, that kind of project (including its construction) would have brought in a flood of potential customers for Rain City.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Rain City? Wow. The owner put a lot of money into that site, from what I hear.

Interestingly enough, that was the Nimbies-friendly cafe where Ivan Leanord and his followers used to gather when they were plotting against the Site 8 tower. The cafe itself was pretty vocal against the project.

Ironically, that kind of project (including its construction) would have brought in a flood of potential customers for Rain City.
The NIMBY's usually, after getting their way, end up regretting it Such as QE Park which will now go to ruins.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:08 AM
See ya down under, mates

I went to Boston Pizza on Esplanade Saturday night and I'm happy to report it was full of customers. Pretty standard fare for its type, nice view of the city and a great balcony for the summer.

$60 for two people (no booze) seemed a bit pricey though...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley