HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
TO may be the place where I end up settling down, though I'm not sure.
Few people are able to resist. You will really get to like it after awhile.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 5:47 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Few people are able to resist. You will really get to like it after awhile.
This city is not like Winnipeg, and DEFINITELY not like Fargo. I'm still trying to get used to the culture here (and it IS a different culture). Hearing different people speak dozens of different languages around me at school is something completely different, for example. A majority of people I'm hanging around will not speak perfect Canadian-English, rather they will have an accent of some kind. I'm no racist by any stretch of the imagination, it's just something that will take getting used to for me, after living in an 85 percent white neighbourhood for 7 years (the most diverse neighbourhood in North Dakota).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 6:09 PM

Well, well, well

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...e-to-winnipeg/

looks like the local ATL fanbase is finally catching on.

My fav quote is how they note the naming rights have been quietly renegotiated.

Just in case anyone wonders why I do not think the Coyotes will come here next year...but the NHL still will

some quotes:

Quote:

There should have been viewing parties in Winnipeg for this, because there’s a very good chance one of these teams is ending up in Manitoba. These rumors have been circulating for months, and not just from the usual Canadian chamber-of-commerce-type knuckleheads who have a vested interest. The rumors are like dominoes, and they fall like this:

♦ 1) The NHL has assured Winnipeg it is getting a team back.

♦ 2) The Coyotes, who’ve had financial issues since moving from Winnipeg in 1996, went into bankruptcy and now are operated by the league, would move back to Winnipeg if current arena refinancing issues can’t be resolved.

♦ 3) Should Phoenix resolve its problems and not relocate, the Thrashers will move to Winnipeg.

I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody used the term “done deal” with me over the last two months.

Michael Gearon was right about one thing: There is a “sense of urgency.” He just misplaces the blame. For him to suddenly put the onus on the fan base – “The reality is we need fans showing up and we need investors or a primary investor” – for hockey’s lifeline in Atlanta is disingenuous and shameful.

Gearon, Bruce Levenson, et. all — they’ve been planning for this. Several months ago, they quietly renegotiated the $10 million annual Philips Arena naming rights deal. Now if the Thrashers leave, it won’t null and void the entire contract, but merely decrease it. Funny, they never announced that.

Over a year ago, when the Thrashers sat down to attempt to negotiate a new contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, ownership was apoplectic that Kovalchuk and his agent addressed potential new ownership and the team’s uncertain future in negotiations. Some wanted to cast the failed negotiations as the pro sports cliché of an athlete just asking for too much money. The fact was that Kovalchuk didn’t want to wake up in two years and find out he was moving to . . . Winnipeg.

This situation is tearing up the insides of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. He doesn’t want to be the guy who allowed Atlanta to lose an NHL franchise for the second time. But he knows it’s a horrible situation created by horrible ownership, which he has called on the carpet before. There is no incentive for an outsider to purchase only the hockey team and keep it in Atlanta. There also is no market right now for the Spirit to sell both teams and the arena rights, even though both have been on the market for at least two years.

I’m not sure there’s a way out of this. Even if the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg, the Thrashers will be in the same situation, waiting for a financial archangel the way you and I wait for a winning lottery ticket. It wasn’t right in 1980 when Tom Cousins had to sell the Flame to support his real estate ventures, and it’s not right now.

Gearon said this is an urgent matter. Neglect will do that. But this was years in the making. Don’t throw that into the laps of fans.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 6:50 PM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 3:14 AM

Good interview

tell you pretty much what's gonna happen, from a top Atlanta sport journalist

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....95467&comments

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:53 AM
surely you agree with me

dustin byfuglien signing is only proof that they were finally able to tell him where he will live next year.....if there was still doubt he would have at least waited until the end of the season to renew.

why would he sign a contract if there was still debate over where he and his family will be for the next 5 years?

the answer is he wouldnt.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Good interview

tell you pretty much what's gonna happen, from a top Atlanta sport journalist

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....95467&comments
Here's hoping Winnipeg

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 8:58 PM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Here's hoping Winnipeg
all my Calgary friends are crossing their fingers too

I'm telling em to wait till April...and not April 1st

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 12:24 AM

Well Grapes gauranteed we'll be getting a team. So I guess thats all there is to it!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 1:03 AM

Grapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
Well Grapes gauranteed we'll be getting a team. So I guess thats all there is to it!
Well, Grapes is usually right! Getting a NHL team back in Winnipeg will be great for the City. The media coverage alone that comes with having a major league sports team will improve the cities image, business climate and economy. I am just wondering what the name of the team will be.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Well, Grapes is usually right! Getting a NHL team back in Winnipeg will be great for the City. The media coverage alone that comes with having a major league sports team will improve the cities image, business climate and economy. I am just wondering what the name of the team will be.
The Manitoba Winnipeggers

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 5:04 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm an Atlanta area resident and on the local TV news, it was officially announced. The Thrashers are for sale. Nothing was said about Winnipeg on WSB-TV. I've told people here to support the team or it will relocate to Winnipeg. I would prefer for Phoenix's team to relocate and the Thrashers to stay here. There are many hockey fans in this city.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'm an Atlanta area resident and on the local TV news, it was officially announced. The Thrashers are for sale. Nothing was said about Winnipeg on WSB-TV. I've told people here to support the team or it will relocate to Winnipeg. I would prefer for Phoenix's team to relocate and the Thrashers to stay here. There are many hockey fans in this city.
Thanks for the local Atlanta info. I know it sucks to be on the verge of losing ones team. I, like many on here went to the rallies back in the day and felt the emptiness when the news finally came they were leaving. But for what it is worth, if Winnipeg is there destination, I assure you they will have a great home here as well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:34 AM

Quote:
I agree.

ATL is also a bigger market and has more corporate support than PHX

Its unfortunate that the ownership in ATL never gave a crap about this franchise to begin with. Unlike in Phoenix where they tried almost everything even bringing Wayne Gretzky in to help market, nothing worked.

They dont even have as many dedicated hockey fans as there are in ATL.

Yet, for reasons out of control or out of the scope of "fairness" they are the ones being saved.

I assure you, thanks to ASG fighting, the wheels have already been set in motion and are not turning back.

I would much rather Phoenix move by some crazy form of luck, but it ain't happening imo.

Either or, enjoy every game you can like a true hockey fan. In Winnipeg we've already gone through this, so we can feel your pain...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Atlanta's metropolitan area population is 5.5 million and the Thrashers average just over 13,000 per game. That is not alot of hockey supporters whatsoever.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 1:11 AM

^ Right.

More dedicated hockey fans than in Phoenix

Seriously though, they support their ECHL team there too

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Haven't been able to find anything on the Internet to support this? I have, however, found a few articles that mention a possible interested buyer (they do not mention the name) whose aim is to keep the team in Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:43 AM

It's especially tough for Atlanta. This is the second time they've gone through this.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:46 PM
BANNED

As I previously mentioned.

Atlanta hamstrings future Winnipeg owners with Byfuglien contract
by Hawerchuk on Feb 16, 2011 1:55 PM EST

72 comments Email Print.It's no secret that I think Dustin Byfuglien is very overrated. And a $5.2M annual contract - which is more like $5.4M given that Atlanta bought out one of Buf's RFA years - would suggest that he's one of the 20-25 best defensemen in the league. Sadly, no. Byfuglien is probably overpaid by $1M per season, and Atlanta takes a big risk with a long contract to a guy who isn't even the best defenseman on his own team!

The bigger issue is that the Thrashers are on the block and before yesterday had no liabilities beyond 2012-13. Now they do, and there's pressure to lock up other players. Trying to sell a hockey team where you've nuked its financial flexibility is like trying to sell your house and tenants as a package deal - the value goes way down. So Winnipeg ownership will have to figure out what to do with his contract.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan