HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 11:42 PM
THAT Guy

Interesting to see the difference between this poll and the Tribune's

Which design do you like best?

72.0%
The latest one (421 feet) (661 responses)

28.0%
The earlier one (523 feet) (257 responses)

918 total responses

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 11:44 PM

I like the first one a little better, but its mainly just the height. It also reminds me a little of the legacy, which I like. I agree with the cruise ship comment for the second one.

I also would really like to see the nimbys of evanston get a 500+ footer thrown in their face.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:51 AM

I chose the taller proposal for a few reasons:

1. The added height will give the Evanston skyline the definition it deserves;

2. I don't trust the renderings entirely, and I trust Booth/Hansen to do a better building than Coffey, given both firms' track record;

3. Although I would be fine with a tall building on either site, the Klutznick team has a point - its tower would fit the checkerboard pattern and maintain open views, while the other one would create more crowding.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 3:21 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think the base of the Horner tower is much more appealing, but the rest looses me....especially the top. However, the building's form is more sensative to its location.

Still....I' have to go with Klutznik

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 3:53 AM
TL;DR

I'm pretty sure the reason the Horner proposal is winning the Trib poll is because of it's flatiron shape, which people really love... it's not really reflecting on the facade treatment, which isn't really "horrendous" anyhow. The Focus/Klutznick proposal looks like a box from the renderings (although I'm pretty sure it's actually wedge-shaped/trapezoidal).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 4:53 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Klutznick's render is horrible...you really need the CGI to give it a good presentation.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:22 AM

I voted for the Focus proposal. I like the base better. I don't like the way the second proposal sits on stilts over the existing building. I just think it looks silly.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

evanstonnow.com has posted some images of the klutznik/focus model that was presented at a Site Plan and Appearance Review Committee meeting yesterday afternoon. follow the link:

http://www.evanstonnow.com/image/tid/91

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:22 AM

Actually, after seeing those new images, I like the design less. Not enough to change my position, since the other one looks like a mediocre condo lot from SimCity, but I'm not sure about the base. It does provide curb appeal, but if this is going to be the tallest in Evanston for the foreseeable future it should have a more imposing entrance, IMO.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ keep in mind that the model depicted in those images is probably a preliminary study model. i would expect several rounds of refinements from booth hansen, particularly at the base, if this project moves closer to becoming real. i would like to see the tower portion pulled down through the podium along church street, and to see a better integration overall of the two parts; they clearly aren't complimenting each other very well in those model images.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 12, 2007 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:26 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

There are two large high-resolution renderings of the Daniel P. Coffey and Associates design at the bottom of this article:

http://www.newcityskyline.com/Develo...ainSquare.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:42 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

By the way, when we asked for the official height of the Daniel P. Coffey and Associates design. Both the architect and the developer said that height has not been officially determined. The only thing they know is that it'll be between 425' to 400' but they asked us to leave it at 400' for now. The number of floors will remain the same tho.

Last edited by Marvel 33; Jun 13, 2007 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 5:41 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...inionfront-hed

Evanston's lofty skyline dilemma

By John McCarron who teaches
writes and consults on urban affairs
Published July 2, 2007

My neighbors in Evanston -- the navel of metropolitan Chicago -- are agonizing these days about downtown skyscrapers.

Not in the Loop or along Wacker Drive, but skyscrapers right here in the ever-so-thoughtful home of nuclear-free zones, four-hour public hearings and holistic therapy.

Normally I advise those who live in one of our region's other 265 municipalities not to mind what's going on in Evanston. How much does a body need to know about organic landscaping, say, or Afrocentric middle school curricula?

But this time everyone should pay attention -- especially everyone who lives in a mature, not to say old, inner-ring community being sapped quietly of population and economic energy by the sprawl machine that growls 24/7 out along the suburban frontier.

Evanston, you see, has stumbled onto a formula for reinvigorating itself. So have Oak Park, Arlington Heights, St. Charles, Elmhurst and a handful of others. They are redeveloping old downtowns, often around a Metra station. They are saving bits and pieces of the familiar -- an old movie palace here, a beloved family restaurant or ice cream shop there -- while recruiting developers to build in their midst -- gasp! -- multiunit townhouses and condo towers.

The idea is to bring back the old retail centers as residential villages. They're pulling in young people, professionals, gays and empty-nesters; people fed up with outer suburbia's left-turn lanes and soulless strip malls; people seeking a taste of urban chic, or just a sense of place, without having to move to the city proper. There are more such people, it turns out, than anyone had imagined.

All of which threatens some mossback suburbanites. They like things the way they were -- quiet -- before the espresso bar or the fine arts center or the multiscreen cinema. They especially don't like condo towers. Such congestion, they argue, is why they chose not to live in the city.

This tension over what suburbs are supposed to be is spreading across the region. And Evanston, a college town blessed with sandy beaches, too many PhDs and an eminently recyclable downtown, is the bellwether.

Battle after battle is being fought over the height of condo towers, the number of required parking spaces and the displacement of locally owned stores by formulaic chains. But the biggest fight is just getting started.

Earlier this year, shortly after developers James Klutznick and Tim Anderson sold out and leased-up their 25-story Sherman Plaza condo-over-retail megastructure, the two announced plans to redevelop the north half of what's called the Fountain Square block across the street. This one would soar 49 stories, or 523 feet, above Church Street between Sherman and Orrington Avenues. Whereupon a second development team, led by R.D. Horner Associates and HSA Commercial, announced a condo-over-retail extravaganza for the southern half of the same block, theirs rising 37 stories, or 421 feet.

Suddenly Evanston has a three-front skirmish among two developers, who, as a practical matter, can't both build what would be suburbia's tallest building on the same narrow block, and a good portion of the town's citizenry, who want no new skyscrapers whatsoever.

What to do? Well, Evanston is blessed with legions of know-it-alls like myself who know exactly what to do. But don't look for this reporter at any of those four-hour public hearings. Covered too many of them as a cub. So instead, here's what I think Evanston should do, short and quick:

*Force the two development teams to merge or force one to buy out the other. The entire block should be redeveloped under a single concept.

*Trade height for what Evanstonians desire at street level. Let the developer go 50 stories, 60 even, on their residential tower ... if it's a sleek design and if they're willing to preserve the charm and low cornice line of the existing limestone storefronts.

*Negotiate, also, for underground parking; for retention of local stores and professional services willing to pay rents that reflect new space; for preservation, at minimum, of the front of the landmark Hahn Building located at mid-block; and for construction, at the developer's expense, of a first-class veterans' memorial and fountain to replace tired Fountain Square. Fact is, cities can negotiate for just about anything in return for the zoning approvals and public infrastructure required by developments of this magnitude. But first those cities need to know what they want, not just what the NIMBYs don't want. And they need confidence -- confidence in the strength of their market; confidence in their ability to bring in another developer if the first one can't or won't deliver.

After decades of losing stores, jobs and population, Evanston and other older "railroad" suburbs find themselves beseeched by opportunity -- and yes, by opportunists. They need to get their acts together, to calm the fears of the uninformed, but most important, to press their advantage.

Take it from someone who witnessed the bad old days -- the days when Sears, Marshall Fields, Lyttons, Baskins, Rothschilds and Smythe Furniture all lined up to leave town. We have problems now, sure. But compared to then, these new problems are good ones to have.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, i suppose we can plant McCarron firmly in the group of people who "get it". the bad news is that most evanstonians are simply too myopic to understand the broader concepts of which McCarron speaks.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ well, i suppose we can plant McCarron firmly in the group of people who "get it". the bad news is that most evanstonians are simply too myopic to understand the broader concepts of which McCarron speaks.

Agreed.

I could definately live with "his vision" for the site. But I must say forget 60 stories. If you are going to have one developer buyout the other, and you want them to make all these concessions, zoning needs to be approved to the maximum. Allow an 80-story tower, or am I just being greedy?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 2:47 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Probably greedy.

oh yeah, and McCarron definately is on our side...i.e. "gets it" Great Article.

Last edited by Alliance; Jul 3, 2007 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

well, the horner/HSA proposal may already be dead in the water.

read more: http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/2610

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 2:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

well, with the withdrawal of the horner/HSA proposal from the review process, i've gone ahead and edited the title of this thread and closed the poll. if evanston is to see a large tower on the fountain square block, and that's a BIG if, it looks as though the klutznik/focus plan will be the one to go forward, at least for now.

evanstonnow.com has an article on the preliminary review process for the project that will begin in august.

here's a link to the article: http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/2642

note to any Emporis editors that might read this thread: 1600 orrington avenue (aka fountain square tower #2, horner/HSA) should be listed as a "never built" project. there's a slim outside chance that horner might revive efforts to build on the block, but it would probably come back to life as a different project. i've already removed it from the page 1 list in the rundown thread

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 5:53 AM

Thanks Steely, I changed its status. Let me know if anything starts to happen at the Winthrop Club site. I was there in late June, and preparatory demolition was wrapping up. (It might save you a couple of minutes if you want to check it from the Sherman Plaza garage - there's a good view from there.)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 2:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i'll keep an eye on winthrop club.

in fountain square tower news, evnastonnow.com has posted an article on last night's presentation, the first of what will probably be many public meetings about this project.

link to the article: http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/2662

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects