HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:56 PM

^^^ Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:58 PM

What a bunch of complainers on the CBC website. I've never seen such a collection of maladjusted angry people. March on city hall for a bridge paid for by the province? Idiots.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:02 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Reading the comments on the Herald website (I don't even want to touch the Sun), makes me wonder why I still live in this city. Comments about how the bridge will be a magnet for homeless people? I just don't know what to say to that.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:04 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:34 PM.

Very tall. Such Scrape.

I see that Wooster is fighting the good fight on the CBC comments section, and being labelled as a "left-wing spammer" for his efforts.

I don't even read the comments sections of any article anymore, it is just depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
?

The Calgary Tower was "world class" in its day. As is the CN today. Or the cathedral in Montreal. Or the Expo pier in Vancouver. Maybe "iconic" is more what I'm thinking of.
I can see iconic.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Count me as one suburbanite who's positively enthralled by it, and will be there on or shortly after opening day to experience it. Believe it or not, we have to have SOMEWHERE to go with our SUVs and sometimes we do bring the Hummer into downtown.

I think this is a perfect balance between style and practicality. I know some of you are disappointed about no arch, no bend, but to be honest I much prefer it this way. Straight and to the point. Wheelchair accessible, and bicycle-friendly. And it doesn't meander all over the damn place trying to look "cool".

A lot of people dislike these fancy bridges for exactly those reasons - they are a pain in the arse because you have to walk twice as far just to get somewhere, or hump over stairs, or what have you. I bet many of the folks complaining about this bridge before would have complained twice as loud if this sucker had a huge bend in the middle - so hopefully this wins over a few more fans.

I also like how it ties in with what seems to be Calgary's colours. A nice bright red is fantastic in a city composed (most months) of brown, brown, and more brown, with the occasional blue-green glass on a highrise. Plus, red against the bright blue of the Bow will look fantastic.

Two thumbs up!
freeweed, you bring up a couple of interesting points. My first reaction to the bridge design was a bit of a letdown after all the hype we have been hearing. I guess I was expecting something a little more 'wow'. But now that I think about it it might actually be the perfect bridge for Calgary. This is a city that seems to be all about function and practicality, it's a hard nosed business town after all. In a way this bridge gives us that - it's a straight shot across the river, no twists or bends etc. Pretty simple (and functional) yet there is also some artistic merit to it without going over the top.

I'm liking it more and more although I don't know if it will ever be 'fantastic' in my mind (I voted 'good' in the poll). The colors will certainly stand out and that is something we are not used to seeing in this city of beige.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I see that Bertie is fighting the good fight on the CBC comments section, and being labelled as a "left-wing spammer" for his efforts.

I don't even read the comments sections of any article anymore, it is just depressing.
Yeah, I liked that one. I wonder if it's the Corndogger (i'm sure he's still around under a different alias)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Red = commie. It's all clear now.

Wooster's a witch! Burn him!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
Round Head

As I responded in CBC comments to these wild accusations, I consider myself a poly-partisan moderate, but someone who is an ardent supporter of good urbanism.

In general, I have a hard time reading comments or participating sections for the news media. They seem to be mostly depositories of the hateful and cynical on pretty much any issue. I just feel this issue deserves some rebuttal.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:16 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Serious question to the naysayers:

Have any of you changed your vote because of this bridge? I see all these comments on the Herald website about "council is out of control" and "I'll remember this bridge next time I vote". Those come across as just about as partisan as it gets - I have a hard time believing any of those posters have actually changed their mind over this.

If you were always going to vote McIver, and have always hated Bronco, you're not adding anything to the discussion about this bridge.

It reminds me of all the discussion over unemployment benefits in Canada right now - thousands of brave souls standing up to remind us that unless Harper gives in, they'll *once again* be voting NDP. Yeah, as if you were ever going to change your vote anyway.

Someone prove me wrong. I'd honestly like to meet someone who was going to vote for Bronco, but won't because of this bridge.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:20 PM
Master and Commander

I for one love it. I can see that maybe Santiago is starting to depart from his usual styles of cables and concrete spires for many of his bridges. I think for this city to incorporate a part of his new modernized design styles is fitting.
I think this looks better than the Venice one, first and foremost, no stairs and barrier free accessibility. Arch would be nice too even a subtle one but otherwise 9/10 for me!
Reminds me of those imax screens when you are warping thru the hyperspace with the funky colors and swirls..

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:23 PM

I have to say, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the bridge. Maybe I was hoping for something spectacular. I do find it an interesting bridge, and there's no doubt that it'll capture attention. I like the bike lane in the middle I'm not a big fan of the red, but at least it wasn't gray or beige. I would have gone for brushed aluminum.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
and thanks for another hazardous under-bridge corner.
looking at all the renderings, it appears that the "under bridge corner" you talk about is on the south side of the river, and likely is intended just as a walking path, since the main biking/walking paths are further south.

Simply not an issue here.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:32 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8063 View Post
I'm torn, I like it, but it's not what I wanted from a Calatrava bridge.
I agree. Oddly, though this is also how I feel about The Bow. I like it, but I expected more with it being a Norman Foster and all..

Either rate, its an interesting, innovative, and artistic design. Hopefully it helps bring Calgary into that of a world class city.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:35 PM

I love the design of this bridge, and how the colours are integrated into the overall concept.

...however listening to am 770, I find it ridiculous on how some people automatically associate colour with a political orientation.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:36 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
I love the design of this bridge, and how the colours are integrated into the overall concept.

...however listening to am 770, I find it ridiculous on how some people automatically associate colour with a political orientation.
LOL welcome to Conservative country.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:

Do yourself a favour and turn off 770 right now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I have to say, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the bridge. Maybe I was hoping for something spectacular. I do find it an interesting bridge, and there's no doubt that it'll capture attention. I like the bike lane in the middle I'm not a big fan of the red, but at least it wasn't gray or beige. I would have gone for brushed aluminum.
Brushed aluminum would have been nicer. I wonder what was changed from the original design? My guess would was they added the red.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:41 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:

Or, maybe it's red because red is Calgary's "official" colour? The Calgary flag is red, the Calgary Stampede is red, the Calgary Flames are red, the Calgary Stampeders are red.

People are stupid. Really, red because of political orientation?

Last edited by You Need A Thneed; Jul 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates