HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 5:45 AM

In this rendering it looks like the facade juts out slightly in every other group of four windows on the office levels.

http://shoalcreekwalk.com/building/#building-1

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
In this rendering it looks like the facade juts out slightly in every other group of four windows on the office levels.

http://shoalcreekwalk.com/building/#building-1
Nice catch. So this building may not look so generic after all. I had never noticed that before, but that makes it feel fluid rather than a box you'd typically see in an office park.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 12:15 AM

Oh that's super weird. I can't wait to see this effect in real Life.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 2:14 AM
Love Austin

This developer has a looong history of skimping out of great streets sidewalks (they even have a cheesy name for what they call their version of sidewalks). I truly hope that they do not do that with this block.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 2:34 AM

It appears they're under quite a bit of scrutiny at the moment so I should hope they don't try something.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Oh that's super weird. I can't wait to see this effect in real Life.
Our version of the Beekman Tower

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:17 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
It appears they're under quite a bit of scrutiny at the moment so I should hope they don't try something.
Ah, Richard--had he replied maybe he would have talked about some of his past successful projects such as the Hobby Building?...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithlua View Post
Our version of the Beekman Tower
Petition to move that to the post office site?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 5:57 AM

Just a little baby dash of Gehry

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 7:36 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Petition to move that to the post office site?
Set it up and I'll sign it.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
This developer has a looong history of skimping out of great streets sidewalks (they even have a cheesy name for what they call their version of sidewalks). I truly hope that they do not do that with this block.
Well, they're already shitting on the urban fabric of downtown Austin by putting in steps and a railing, ruining any chance of any street interaction, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Well, they're already shitting on the urban fabric of downtown Austin by putting in steps and a railing, ruining any chance of any street interaction, so I can't say I'm surprised.
Because the building has to deal with the flood plain. Which is certainly not the developer's fault.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Plus, this type of mini plaza type setting can actually break up an otherwise monotonous urban environment, thus providing more character and unique natural gathering places of people. In a city like Austin, diversifying the way that buildings interact with the streets not just horizontally, but vertically as well (especially when it interacts with the natural geography, as it does here), would actually aid in creating a more pedestrian friendly environment precisely because it creates a more unique urban atmosphere with places people actually want to experience. These kinds of designs have actually won cities like Greenville (S. Main Street / Reedy River area) Columbia (Congaree Vista) awards for their downtown redevelopment efforts.

For a wonderful example of why these kinds of designs are amazing at creating sustained pedestrian life, see Asheville, NC. It works there, it could work here. How involved is Austin in the craft beer industry? I imagine that probably helps Asheville, but we're also a tourist and music city with a vibrant downtown, so why aren't there more ad hoc public gathering spaces?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

This one's from the Shoal Creek Conservancy website; don't think it's been posted here before (apologies for the size, but this forum doesn't seem to support size attributes on IMG tags, and the image isn't isn't CC-licensed, so I can't resize it myself):

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:34 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
It's pretty bad. There's almost no street interaction at all. It makes me sad to see downtown Austin dying a slow death one sterile behemoth of an office building at a time. What reason would anyone have to go to this place during the weekend or off-peak hours? None. Too many of these and you have a ghost town like downtown Dallas or Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Floodplain issues. It's unavoidable. Also, retail ground level this project has.
Quote:
Sorry, I just randomly navigated back here and saw your comment. And I would go with no. Stairs and railings and shit have no place in a downtown environment (unless it's like a government building or something).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBBradford View Post
As someone else pointed out, it's a floodplain issue. The ground floor has to be elevated above the flood plain. The Memorial Day flood shows why it's necessary.

All of the buildings along Shoal Creek are like this for just that reason - Monarch, Austin City Lofts, the forthcoming 5th & West. It's not because the developers think that stairs and railings are swell things.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Because the building has to deal with the flood plain. Which is certainly not the developer's fault.
lol

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 12:19 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by claustrum View Post
This one's from the Shoal Creek Conservancy website; don't think it's been posted here before (apologies for the size, but this forum doesn't seem to support size attributes on IMG tags, and the image isn't isn't CC-licensed, so I can't resize it myself)
I appreciate the larger size - gives a better perspective on the wave effect. I actually like that a lot.

Edit: Looking at it more, it reminds me of some MC Escher stuff...makes you wonder if your eyesight is messing up, but in a cool way. He drew some things as if they were reflections in a mirrored sphere.

Last edited by drummer; Feb 17, 2016 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
How involved is Austin in the craft beer industry?
Very

http://www.winemag.com/listicle/grea...n-beer-cities/
http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival...ition/winners/
http://www.craftbeeraustin.com/

However, many (though not all) of the breweries (as compared to brewpubs) in Austin are in the more industrial areas of town.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by claustrum View Post
This one's from the Shoal Creek Conservancy website; don't think it's been posted here before (apologies for the size, but this forum doesn't seem to support size attributes on IMG tags, and the image isn't isn't CC-licensed, so I can't resize it myself):

http://www.shoalcreekconservancy.org...ck-NW-VIEW.jpg
I dusted off my shrink ray for the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:33 PM

The street interaction is 10x better than Whole Foods next door. It's really amazing that even with such a large block to work with, they managed to mangle it so badly and put a damper on walking in the area (anybody who has walked in the area will know what I'm talking about). They basically dropped a suburban design on a large downtown lot with little thought to making it pedestrian friendly. Sure, it's a popular destination and you see many people there, but a lot of them are driving, contributing to traffic in the area. It would never pass muster today.

East Side: A long flat wall, with 5 lanes of vehicle entrance/exit. Poor designed sight lines. Have to walk in the lane, through parking garage traffic to enter from this side.
North Side: A friendly looking, but void-of-purpose corner plaza. Two more lanes of vehicle egress (difficult visibility). At least there is a proper walk-up entrance here, but they missed a possibility for pedestrian interaction as it is mostly a wall since the eating area is raised up.
West Side: Disconnected from the building, just a parking lot, more entrances/exits to dodge. This would never be allowed with current urban design practice. Doesn't even have shade down the block. Not a great streets sidewalk.
South Side: Big blank wall, about half of the block has some minor shade, none otherwise, barely hidden loading facilities, more entrances/exits. Peds required to cut through main parking lot entrance to get to store.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 10:35 PM

^There was quite a political battle that went into that, but yes, you are right, it has no place downtown....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin