HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'm ready to say that this one is on hold. Back on October 11th they made this comment on their Facebook page regarding the halt in activity on the site:

That big crane should have arrived by now.
One of my friends walked by the site yesterday and said the crane was going up, but they could have just been fooled by the base that was already there. Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 11:11 PM

Despite my skepticism about this project and the developer's suspect marketing, it is still my favorite project. I hope it gets back on track:

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRain...type=3&theater

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 2:15 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Despite my skepticism about this project and the developer's suspect marketing, it is still my favorite project. I hope it gets back on track:

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRain...type=3&theater
If they really add all that green, I would be ecstatic!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 3:43 AM
Meh

The American-Statesman had a fluffy article on it on November 8.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...-towers/ns5cK/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The American-Statesman had a fluffy article on it on November 8.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...-towers/ns5cK/
That article is bizarro. It's old (and somewhat false) news. I was surprised to see that it was written by Shonda Novak.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 4:08 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
That article is bizarro. It's old (and somewhat false) news. I was surprised to see that it was written by Shonda Novak.
How is it false? One is for sure under construction and the 70R has movement.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
How is it false? One is for sure under construction and the 70R has movement.
I think the 'somewhat false' part of the article he's referring to is this:

Quote:
...70Rainey, a 34-story condo tower under construction on Rainey Street...
70Rainey isn't under construction. They are still looking for $140M in financing, as per this post from earlier in this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=406

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 4:01 PM

Hey all,

This is my first post on the forum. I fell in love with Austin the first time I visited and looking to buy a place for investment that will eventually become my home.

I looked at 70 Rainey and wanted to get your thoughts on the price. The building and amenities seem amazing, but $700+ per SQFT just seems extremely steep for the neighborhood. That's higher than most plans that I saw at 5th and West or Austin Proper.

As a side note, they told me their "reservations" will convert to contracts end of the month, not sure if that signals that they have lock down financing or not.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 4:32 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3 View Post
Hey all,

This is my first post on the forum. I fell in love with Austin the first time I visited and looking to buy a place for investment that will eventually become my home.

I looked at 70 Rainey and wanted to get your thoughts on the price. The building and amenities seem amazing, but $700+ per SQFT just seems extremely steep for the neighborhood. That's higher than most plans that I saw at 5th and West or Austin Proper.

As a side note, they told me their "reservations" will convert to contracts end of the month, not sure if that signals that they have lock down financing or not.
All just opinions at this point--but I don't feel you can go wrong buying anywhere in DT Austin. It's such an amazing place and the amount of demand incredibly outweighs the supply. Our current land development code dramatically pushes down the ability to create walkable environments and as that trait is the fastest growing desire of our current market trends these areas will outperform all others for years to come.

The development team behind this project is extremely talented--they will produce a great product.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 8:16 PM

Red face

Quote:
Hey all,

I know the architect for this building and it's going to be an incredible product. The growing density is such that in Austin, this building may have objectively some of the best views if you get a west facing unit.

Austin Proper and 5th and West are in the same neighborhood and you can't go wrong there. In the CBD and close to the bars on West 6th, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. That's probably the more versatile area. At the same time, Rainey has a really cool niche and is really just a hop on the trail away from the 5th and West/Proper neighborhood. You might feel more sucluded and peaceful there. Although, the nightlife is booming and if a few projects that are slated in that area get built, it may get more mixed use down there (Office/Hotel).

Proper is going to be a hotel as well, so that's a consideration as well. Depends on if that's your thing as it should really feel like you're at a luxury hotel. Proper is supposed to have a ground floor restaurant run by the group that operates some of my favorite places downtown. Rainey is littered with food options too. Honestly, you can't go wrong! Best of Luck!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:

Rumor is they they've now got funding. While source of funds wasn't disclosed the little birds strongly hinted this came from the recent China/TX summit. With all that's happening in Vancouver currently, and how prominent Austin has become nationally, I reckon we may start to see more foreign funding in Austin. I sincerely hope this doesn't lead to a lot of vacant "investment" units though. Either way, hopefully we'll see that crane in short order..!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:37 AM
World Traveler

Vacant investment units are not at all uncommon with Chinese investors - though my knowledge of this is largely limited to China. Typically they purchase them to sell at a higher price later or look to rent them out. Other times, they purchase them (as a concrete shell) and plan to renovate them for their children or for themselves down the road (sometimes years down the road). Given that the market is so hot in Austin, I don't see them sitting empty one way or another - or at least, that's my hope. When I lived on the East Coast of China near Shanghai, there were entire buildings in my complex that sat empty, but every single unit was owned. Granted, our "complex" was about 100 buildings ranging from five to twenty stories tall.

All that said, investment in general is good for this one and for Austin. I'm looking forward to seeing this come to life.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:53 AM

During the past several days there have been four local fluff pieces (two by the ABJ, one by the Statesman and one from Community Impact) promoting this project. They were obviously prompted by the developers, so maybe that Chinese money did come through. Hopefully this means work on the site resumes soon.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
All just opinions at this point--but I don't feel you can go wrong buying anywhere in DT Austin. It's such an amazing place and the amount of demand incredibly outweighs the supply. Our current land development code dramatically pushes down the ability to create walkable environments and as that trait is the fastest growing desire of our current market trends these areas will outperform all others for years to come.

The development team behind this project is extremely talented--they will produce a great product.
Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely beautiful building and the amenities look amazing.

But there is a lot of risk being the first luxury in Rainey. The cheapest units are comparable to those at 5th and West with the best view. The ones with that beautiful west facing view at $900+ minimum.

It just scares me off that it is this expensive this early. Of course once you get Chinese money involved buildings can easily take off despite zero occupancy as you guys pointed out. It's fairly common here in NYC.

Maybe I'd be the only one using all the amenities. I could make friends with everyone here inviting you guys to try out the empty pool .

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely beautiful building and the amenities look amazing.

But there is a lot of risk being the first luxury in Rainey. The cheapest units are comparable to those at 5th and West with the best view. The ones with that beautiful west facing view at $900+ minimum.

It just scares me off that it is this expensive this early. Of course once you get Chinese money involved buildings can easily take off despite zero occupancy as you guys pointed out. It's fairly common here in NYC.

Maybe I'd be the only one using all the amenities. I could make friends with everyone here inviting you guys to try out the empty pool .
Yes you could

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:08 PM

The site is still dead. The weeds will be taking over again.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 9:11 PM
クラブトクヨ

From 70R instagram:

Are they going to really build this tower or what? LOTS of Marketing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:36 PM

A quote from them stating that phase 1 is complete. Now waiting for phase 2 which is the arrival of a large crane.

It's on the first comments.
https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRainey/?fref=ts

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
A quote from them stating that phase 1 is complete. Now waiting for phase 2 which is the arrival of a large crane.

It's on the first comments.
https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRainey/?fref=ts
Their Facebook page post about "waiting for the big crane to arrive" was posted two months ago. The crane must be stuck in traffic.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 12:23 AM

Good news. The business journal is reporting that they closed on the construction loan today, and the equity is in place (Chinese). This should be out of limbo now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin