HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 7:05 PM

Future of cities?

What might cities be like in the future around the year 2050? One of the building trends that I notice a lot is green roofs. I notice that a lot of cities are starting to add green spaces to their buildings. How will skylines evolve by 2050 and which city do you think will have the most futuristic looking skyline?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:37 AM

My guess is that they will basically look like they do today with some extra buildings thrown in. Some areas of cities will be unrecognizable but many will look very similar. I think our cities are very similar looking compared to 50 years ago in 1966.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quickly reporting, I have a feeling this will be widespread over all cities for the next decades.

Quote:
Bogotá – the second largest green wall in the world

https://livingroofs.org/bogota-green...capital-world/

Quite futuristic, I find...

I think this is an 11-storey residential building. It must actually be the largest so called vertical garden in the world for now.

The Colombian capital city seriously lacks greenery. Only 4 m2 per dweller, if I recall correctly.
So this would be an effective solution (among others) to this problem.

More about this building here: http://www.greenroofs.com/projects/pview.php?id=1769

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:03 PM

^^Given how high the maintenance effort must be both to keep the greenery green and to maintain the underlying buiding structure, I predict this is a fad that won't last.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:30 PM

You think so? I can't tell. I suppose it will depend on how successful the 'fad' actually is.
It's been tried over here as well, here and there, occasionally, but it's still an oddity. It's not like any huge widespread fashion yet.

If they tried it to a larger scale, pretty sure they'd eventually find some tricks to make it efficient.

I just like the way it looks, so I hope it leads to some sustainable techniques and designs.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:37 PM

^^I like the way it looks too and have always admired the archetype: The ivy-covered walls of old universities. But English ivy is a tough plant and it grows from the ground up. Covering highrises wth greenery has got to be costly to maintain in the developed world (and so if it became common I predict it wouldn't always be maintained well).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:29 PM

Shipping container building

Last edited by dubu; Jul 20, 2017 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:21 PM

Last edited by dubu; Jul 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:02 PM

Here's what I think a three story ring building with shipping containers would look like.

There would be short 20 foot containers. Like 25 around the outside and 15 in the inside of the ring. Maybe I'll have this made in the model program too some day.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:28 PM

I'm not really saying ring buildings are futuristic, but I think in the future buildings will be different. Cities haven't really changed much compared to cars and phones ect. Probably because buildings are expensive and only a few people can build them and they just make what is normal.

The future will be cool, food carts where a robot makes food and fast trains. Hopefully there will finally be enclosed motorcycles. I love motorcycles but if you have a bad neck you cant ride them unless it's got a car seat and enclosed is good for any weather except snow.

Last edited by dubu; Aug 30, 2017 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:38 PM

steampunk way of storing cars/ motorcycles. metal tubes spiral up superblock buildings. there needs to be two buildings so the cars go up then the other building they go down. then the cars can charge if they are electric.

i was thinking it would be for driverless enclosed motorcycles

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:53 PM

I never knew about shipping container farms. In the shipping container building above the third shipping container up of each section could be a farm. You wouldn’t want to live at the top where there’s no light anyways. Wish I could put this all in one post. Don’t want to make the thread just me. But I’m going to learn autocad and I can make a cool version. It costs too much to have someone do it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:35 PM

Two things I’ve been wondering, what’s in the middle of big skyscrapers that are for living in? Also in big cities you see people crammed on trains, where do you put your bike?

For the center of the big buildings you could have storage and gardens. To put your bike on a train there could be a small underground train for them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture