HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:44 PM

^ Further to your point, I wish the city hadn't been so aggressive about stamping out lighting and signage on commercial buildings. They add so much life and vitality to a street scene... it's hard not to mourn the big bright signs that Winnipeg had everywhere up until the 70s. Nowadays, when offices and shops close, the lights go out and the streets are really dark.

Not that we ever had anything like what there is in the larger global cities, but these days, people gravitate to places like Times Sq., Piccadilly Circus, Dundas Square, Shibuya, and other places where you have all of that urban signage... it does have a certain appeal.

The best part? The public doesn't have to pony up a dime for any of it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 12:38 AM

How much of the signage going dark was due to the environmental movement and or cost cutting. The old neon and incandescent style of lights cost a lot to run and apparently there are not that many people who know how to build or fix neon signs now.

One building that has gone down at night is the electric railway chambers building just off Portage and Notre Dame. From my office at night it looks like at least half the bulbs have burned out. They would be better off not to light it at night until either they get a budget to relamp it with traditional bulbs or try using something like led lights. It use to be nice to see the lights cascade up and down the building.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

One building that has gone down at night is the electric railway chambers building just off Portage and Notre Dame. From my office at night it looks like at least half the bulbs have burned out. They would be better off not to light it at night until either they get a budget to relamp it with traditional bulbs or try using something like led lights. It use to be nice to see the lights cascade up and down the building.
Funny, because I know they went through that exercise for the Pan-Am Games in 1999 by fixing all the lights....it looked great. This is one building that I would like to always look its best.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:15 PM

I did not know it was related to sprucing up downtown for the Pan AM Games. I remember seeing them do it and just thought that it was a heritage restoration for the building.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 3:50 AM

It looks like they are reinstalling the Funnelators:

Picture from Last August (after the fire)

Pictures today

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 3:56 PM

Anyone starting a betting pool on when this one stops working?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:35 AM

The funnelator is now working.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:07 PM
What could go wrong?

I know I am going against the grain here, but I happen to like them. Downtown needs more colour and flash.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:11 PM

The one by the library looks OK, but we've been hearing hype about them for so long now that it's no surprise people are rolling their eyes at the fact that there is just the one. And it always seems to be malfunctioning for one reason or another. When are all the others going in? Aren't there supposed to be some that double as various kiosks/vendors?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:30 PM

I have wondered about the viability of operating a cone shaped video screen outdoors in Winnipeg weather since before the first failure. My thinking is if the frame had lights similar to those by the Concert Hall instead of a video screen there would be fewer issues while making a similar contribution to the streetscape.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have wondered about the viability of operating a cone shaped video screen outdoors in Winnipeg weather since before the first failure. My thinking is if the frame had lights similar to those by the Concert Hall instead of a video screen there would be fewer issues while making a similar contribution to the streetscape.
Is it really any different from one of the umpteen jumbotron-type screens scattered around town, though?

And is it just me or does the funnelator screen seem pretty low-def?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is it really any different from one of the umpteen jumbotron-type screens scattered around town, though?
I am not an expert on the subject but the cone shape of that screen would seem to increase it to exposure to the elements. If the cap/roof fails the design would also work to concentrate rain or snow contact with the screen. Most other outdoor screens are relatively thin and vertical so they would face a slightly different challenge.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is a lot of salt mist in the air on warm days. Electronics and salt water are a poor mix so sealing from the environment is essential.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:05 PM

Thought this may be the best place...

New SHED street lights are up on Graham between cityplace and MTS. It's funny because they're in different places than the old black transit ones so it looks very odd right now, obviously that will change. They seem to have fittings for a fence or something to go up between them.

Also noticed the bumpout at Graham and Hargrave that was repaved last year has a massive brick SHED logo... thought it was just a big blob.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:14 PM

Bumping Funnelator thread for obvious reasons..

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:37 PM
arf

^What news of Funnelators?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^What news of Funnelators?
Apparently only 1 has been installed since the concept and plan was revealed..otherwise they can't figure out how to get them working en-masse?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:42 PM
arf

Ah, I was busy searching the Web for news and couldn't find any.

I still need to go take some photos of the artwork around Regina's downtown. Soon. Soon I shall do so.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Ah, I was busy searching the Web for news and couldn't find any.

I still need to go take some photos of the artwork around Regina's downtown. Soon. Soon I shall do so.
There isn't any..

Love to see some artwork from around Regina, post it when you have the time..

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:52 AM

The funnelator has a white plastic tarp covering the top, I assume to ensure water and snow don't damage the electronics. Certainly takes away from the "cool" factor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan