HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:40 AM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,260
I can't imagine how it's not ok per my minimal understanding of the US constitution. I also don't know California's constitution, which might be more relevant, but measures like this don't seem far from others in California and other states.

If it's against either constitution, it'll be a lawsuit. Nobody has posted anything on that yet...the silence is deafening on that.

I'm against measures like this in general. When it's expensive to operate an apartment building, or rents are restricted, fewer will get built and rents tend to rise faster. In this case, it seems to not apply very often and might have a moderate affect.

If inflation gets high again, that'll be another story.
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:14 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro (Norristown, PA)
Posts: 10,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The only places I've ever seen where appliances are included are apartment complexes. Flats and homes for rent usually require renters to bring their own.
Not here, appliances are included with most places. You can find places, especially complexes, where a W/D is not in the unit but in those cases there are rarely hookups in the unit so you wouldn't be able to bring your own.

Thinking about it this trend may not be too popular here because natural gas seems to still be the majority so hooking/unhooking that constantly could be dangerous.
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today, and it ain't civilized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:35 PM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 1,087
I've never heard of places not including appliances...
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:41 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 24,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Not here, appliances are included with most places. You can find places, especially complexes, where a W/D is not in the unit but in those cases there are rarely hookups in the unit so you wouldn't be able to bring your own.

Thinking about it this trend may not be too popular here because natural gas seems to still be the majority so hooking/unhooking that constantly could be dangerous.
That's true. Re: gas. Those are usually included no matter where you are. Especially from what i remembered up north. Everyplace i lived was gas and had appliances.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 10:59 PM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Okay, where did they get this picture from, it was taken from the top floor of my old condo I used to live in. Stange coincidence, I do miss living so close to the beach.


Looks also like a block in Miami Beach.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:55 PM
lio45 lio45 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lévis, QC
Posts: 23,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I know that the construction is much newer overall in comparison to this side of the country but don't folks run into the issue of appliances not fitting in the new place? Here it would be a nightmare to do this, as thinking back on all of the places I have rented NONE had the same setup and all required different sized appliances.
No, never. Appliances have been standard-sized for generations. Everything always fits in the spaces meant for them to fit.

My oldest rental property is a 1830s duplex, my newest building from the 1920s, most of my portfolio is multifamily / mixed use with commercial ground level, from the 1870-1900 period, and I've NEVER ran into any issue with any appliance not fitting, in 15 years of being in real estate. (Occasionally, "fitting poorly" is something you'll run into, though. (Due to physical limitations of pre-appliance era construction that no previous landlord found realistic to address.)

Seems pretty clear if there were any (major) issues in the early days of the existence of appliances, which is very possible, then they all got fixed many decades ago. If anything didn't fit, then the older existing counters at that point were slightly redesigned/modified.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:22 PM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
No, never. Appliances have been standard-sized for generations. Everything always fits in the spaces meant for them to fit.

My oldest rental property is a 1830s duplex, my newest building from the 1920s, most of my portfolio is multifamily / mixed use with commercial ground level, from the 1870-1900 period, and I've NEVER ran into any issue with any appliance not fitting, in 15 years of being in real estate. (Occasionally, "fitting poorly" is something you'll run into, though. (Due to physical limitations of pre-appliance era construction that no previous landlord found realistic to address.)

Seems pretty clear if there were any (major) issues in the early days of the existence of appliances, which is very possible, then they all got fixed many decades ago. If anything didn't fit, then the older existing counters at that point were slightly redesigned/modified.
I think that the bolded is incorrect. For example many double door refrigerators don't fit in some older homes. Many apartments only fit smaller washers/dryers and not full size. Stoves and ovens come in all kinds of configurations and sizes. Some new places that I've seen even have smaller dishwashers.

My current place is new and unlike most of LA it came with appliances but my previous apartment built in the 50's only fit a mid-size, single door fridge.

Last edited by Easy; May 27, 2019 at 4:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:06 PM
lio45 lio45 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lévis, QC
Posts: 23,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I think that the bolded is incorrect. For example many double door refrigerators don't fit in some older homes. Many apartments only fit smaller washers/dryers and not full size. Stoves and ovens come in all kinds of configurations and sizes. Some new places that I've seen even have smaller dishwashers.
Let me rephrase to address your nitpicking:
(no hard feelings, it was a valid point )

Basically everyone who is a renter in Quebec owns a 100% standard-sized fridge, a 100% standard-sized stove, a 100% standard-sized washer and a 100% standard-sized dryer, because otherwise the idea of ever moving would be a nightmare.

Sure, you're correct that appliances that aren't standard-sized do exist out there, but no one who is a renter would ever consider getting one of those; that's something that has to wait until later in life, when you'll be a homeowner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:14 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Posts: 3,796
Can the commenters above who have said this is unconstitutional please explain your rationale? What clause exactly in the federal constitution would prohibit this? What existing jurisprudence of the clause you cite would support that rationale?

I'm sorry that you may not LIKE the policy, but not liking something or agreeing with it makes it unconstitutional. You can't just make such a claim and not back it up with EVIDENCE.
__________________
Metropolitan Central Texas 2018: 5,672,404 (+19.98% over 2010):
San Antonio: 1,532,233 (+15.43%) + Metro Suburbs: 985,803 (+20.94%)
Austin: 964,254 (+22.00%) + Metro Suburbs: 1,204,062 (+30.04%)
Killeen/Temple Metro: 451,679 (+11.44%) + Waco Metro: 271,942 (+15.77%) + Bryan/College Station Metro: 262,431 (+14.77%)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:57 PM
montréaliste montréaliste is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chambly, Quebec
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Let me rephrase to address your nitpicking:
(no hard feelings, it was a valid point )

Basically everyone who is a renter in Quebec owns a 100% standard-sized fridge, a 100% standard-sized stove, a 100% standard-sized washer and a 100% standard-sized dryer, because otherwise the idea of ever moving would be a nightmare.

Sure, you're correct that appliances that aren't standard-sized do exist out there, but no one who is a renter would ever consider getting one of those; that's something that has to wait until later in life, when you'll be a homeowner.

There are also plenty of renters who move into appliance furnished apartments.
There are, for convenience's sake, apliances like gas stoves that are permanently installed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:05 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
The Good Times
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The World's Piggy Bank
Posts: 3,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Looks also like a block in Miami Beach.
Good call, it kind of does -- except the temperature is 68 not 88.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.