HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
If NYC's existence is threatened by global warming, do you really think Philly will be unaffected? The Delaware feeds right into the Atlantic.
I never said that we won't be affected, we'll just be significantly less affected than NYC. Unlike NYC, not too many people live and work as close to our largest river. The portions of Center City closest to the Schuylkill are mostly elevated to the extent to where flooding can be mitigated. Manayunk may also be affected, but only its lowest-lying portions. We're far enough upriver to be less affected than NYC. Philadelphia County can easily absorb a lot of growth by upzoning the Northeast and straying away from its current suburban-style built form.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 12:30 PM
BANNED

Over the last 18,000 years or so, the seas have been rising. During the last ice age, the shoreline of the East Coast was hundreds of miles to the east of present day.

New York City, a city on 3 islands, will face a certain death over the next few centuries and millennia. You can't fortify Manhattan while a considerable amount of rest of the city/metro go under. The city wouldn't work, it would've already been economically devastated and once that happens, urban flight would have taken place which then presents the question as why even attempt to save it?

It'll be a long slow drawn out process of relocating business and people -- that is unless another ice age occurs and in that case, New York will be buried under a mile of ice again.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Over the last 18,000 years or so, the seas have been rising. During the last ice age, the shoreline of the East Coast was hundreds of miles to the east of present day.

New York City, a city on 3 islands, will face a certain death over the next few centuries and millennia. You can't fortify Manhattan while a considerable amount of rest of the city/metro go under. The city wouldn't work, it would've already been economically devastated and once that happens, urban flight would have taken place which then presents the question as why even attempt to save it?

It'll be a long slow drawn out process of relocating business and people -- that is unless another ice age occurs and in that case, New York will be buried under a mile of ice again.
If NYC is buried under a mile of ice, we'll all already be dead.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 4:35 PM

Not only NYC is vulnerable to rising wate in the USA. Several cities, including DC, are close to sea level and tidal. Of the new sunbelt cities Miami and Houston are very vulnerable; Phoenix and Atlanta are pretty safe. Our house in ATL is at @ 1000 feet ASL. If our house floods with sea water, we are in big trouble. The good news is that the fall line to sea level is just south of the ATL airport, so we will have not so far to travel to the beach.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Not only NYC is vulnerable to rising wate in the USA. Several cities, including DC, are close to sea level and tidal. Of the new sunbelt cities Miami and Houston are very vulnerable; Phoenix and Atlanta are pretty safe. Our house in ATL is at @ 1000 feet ASL. If our house floods with sea water, we are in big trouble. The good news is that the fall line to sea level is just south of the ATL airport, so we will have not so far to travel to the beach.
My house is fucked then. My neighborhood was under 9' of water during Harvey.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If NYC is buried under a mile of ice, we'll all already be dead.
NYC just needs a few feet of water to be crippled, that could easily happen this century.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My house is fucked then. My neighborhood was under 9' of water during Harvey.
Are basements common in Houston homes?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:45 PM

For $100 billion, a wall like the one in the 2013 movie Pacific Rim could be built around Manhattan. It would prospect trillions of dollars in assets and the national security of the United States. I'm 100% convinced climate change is a real thing and that there will be an effort to try and save New York rather than let it sink into the see.

A small segment of it is already under construction:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/escr/vision/vision.page
https://archpaper.com/2018/10/new-yo...roject-update/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
NYC just needs a few feet of water to be crippled, that could easily happen this century.
That's not really true. First, NYC and Philadelphia are about the same elevation, so rising sea water alone would have similar effects on both cities... which is to say not that much. Sea levels might rise 4 - 6 feet in a worst case scenario before all of us are dead, but NYC and Philly are more +30 feet above sea level. The real threat is changing weather patterns that bring more intense storms and widespread flooding. Sandy was a preview of how that future will look unless there is some protective measure built.

It's a far different situation than Miami, which is about 6 feet above sea level. A rise in sea level of 4 - 6 feet would destroy Miami even without a storm. That it sits in a very hurricane and tropical storm prone region compounds it.

Last edited by iheartthed; Jun 8, 2019 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Are basements common in Houston homes?
No. Flooding and there's no need due to lack of freezing temps

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah I think the government is definitely going to save certain places. Not just going to let one of the ONLY two Alpha++ cities go under water. Likewise with London.

A loss of NY would be cataclysmic if it be nature, nuclear attack or alien invasion.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
For $100 billion, a wall like the one in the 2013 movie Pacific Rim could be built around Manhattan. It would prospect trillions of dollars in assets and the national security of the United States. I'm 100% convinced climate change is a real thing and that there will be an effort to try and save New York rather than let it sink into the see.

A small segment of it is already under construction:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/escr/vision/vision.page
https://archpaper.com/2018/10/new-yo...roject-update/

At the current rate of sea level rise (and ground sink-age) the estimated sea level rise for the next 150 years is like 8-10 feet.

Im not saying "climate change" isnt real but dont fall for the hysteria that its the end of the world, its not.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
That's not really true. First, NYC and Philadelphia are about the same elevation, so rising sea water alone would have similar effects on both cities...
I never said anything about Philly... They're both pretty much in the same boat.

Quote:
which is to say not that much. Sea levels might rise 4 - 6 feet in a worst case scenario before all of us are dead, but NYC and Philly are more +30 feet above sea level. The real threat is changing weather patterns that bring more intense storms and widespread flooding. Sandy was a preview of how that future will look unless there is some protective measure built.
Much of New York is right at sea level and built on landfill, Manhattan is like what? 40% landfill alone. Sea level rise doesn't have to reach 33' for it to be catastrophic to NYC's already falling apart infrastructure. I know Sandy is just a taste of what is to come, that's part of it.

Quote:
It's a far different situation than Miami, which is about 6 feet above sea level. A rise in sea level of 4 - 6 feet would destroy Miami even without a storm. That it sits in a very hurricane and tropical storm prone region compounds it.
Yeah, I know Miami is pretty much hopeless lol

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Much of New York is right at sea level and built on landfill, Manhattan is like what? 40% landfill alone.
No, it isn't.

Also, you live in a city that really can't scoff at any other city's "aging infrastructure".

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't.

Also, you live in a city that really can't scoff at any other city's "aging infrastructure".
lol nice deflection, and how is this relevant? NYC isn't that much less doomed than Miami, deal with it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
lol nice deflection, and how is this relevant? NYC isn't that much less doomed than Miami, deal with it.
Not a deflection at all. You're just parroting buzzwords that you read in the media, but the reality is that it's better to have "deteriorating infrastructure" than none at all. It being my hometown, I wish your city had NYC's "deteriorating infrastructure" problem. It would be in far better shape now.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:37 PM

uh ohhh, I see I hit a nerve.

I mean the "world's capital" is still operating on legacy systems over a century old and barely operational but hey, rural Mississippi is also behind you!

Luckily my city will not have to perform impossible engineering miracles in the near future just to exist, so there's that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
uh ohhh, I see I hit a nerve.

I mean the "world's capital" is still operating on legacy systems over a century old and barely operational but hey, rural Mississippi is also behind you!

Luckily my city will not have to perform impossible engineering miracles in the near future just to exist, so there's that.
You didn't hit a nerve. You just don't know what you're talking about. If you want to liken your city to rural Mississippi... Knock yourself out.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
You didn't hit a nerve. You just don't know what you're talking about. If you want to liken your city to rural Mississippi... Knock yourself out.
Huh? I never did such thing. Critical reading is important.

You should probably just stop now. I'm well aware infrastructure in this country is a joke, that's kind of the point.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Huh? I never did such thing. Critical reading is important.

You should probably just stop now. I'm well aware infrastructure in this country is a joke, that's kind of the point.
NYC's infrastructure isn't a joke. The NYC subway moves 5 million people per day. How many people ride Detroit's subway per day?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions