HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:07 PM

Sounds like an informative session in general. Summaries were great, thank you all.

I'd concur with those takeaways. Core needs to become more walkable. We're getting closer if you think bordering Wellington/King (Downtown Hamilton bannger - INTL Village) across to Bay/King. Hopefully we can extended develop from Dundurn/Main to Wentworth/King in the next ten to fifteen years to extend walkability across the bulk of the lower city. Then expand from Ottawa back towards downtown.

Thorne is right, we haven't seen a lot of exciting developments, but it's baby steps and we do have lots of canvases to work with still. I do think we need to be more stringent and strategic going forward; higher barrier to entry for new developments.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:19 PM

There's already a ton of development activity in Hamilton. More of it just needs to proceed to construction. I thought this graph from UrbanToronto yesterday was insightful. While Toronto is far ahead, Hamilton has more units proposed than any other 905 municipality:

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2024/02...oss-gtha.55270

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:14 PM

No one's debating the activity, it's a quality over quantity aspect that would be nice, eventually. Right now it's quantity over quality.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:32 AM
Ham-burgher

I'm surprised at Kitchener and Brampton -- I figured they'd be higher.

Mississauga a few years ago would probably have been far and away #2.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:07 AM
Ham-burgher

Kitchener does have more proposals that are approved (Cambridge especially) though the graph title seems to indicate they're still awaiting full approval. Hopefully Hamilton catches up... and that is not affected by the cybercrime's impact on city I.T. systems. These figures make sense if they reflect the relatively later growth in proposals in Hamilton compared to other cities west of Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:22 PM

Heard this week that plans exist for a 25 storey tower on the SW corner of Main & Locke. This is the lot where the recently closed convenience store with the CRUNCH sign is. The property has a tiny barber shop still operating. Plans may include adjacent lots to the west.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
Heard this week that plans exist for a 25 storey tower on the SW corner of Main & Locke. This is the lot where the recently closed convenience store with the CRUNCH sign is. The property has a tiny barber shop still operating. Plans may include adjacent lots to the west.
Interesting, good location for it. I hope they call it "Crunch Tower"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton