HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:47 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Wow, sweet shot. From this angle, you can see that Millennium will hold its own even with Transbay and the Heller Manus 900 footer as neighbors.They'll sit behind it looking from eastern and northern vantage points.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:58 PM

is trinity under construction?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:56 PM
Sonoma Strong

delete

wow - i can be retarded

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
is trinity under construction?
Not yet. About 2 months ago they appeared to be doing pile driving tests in what is now a parking lot on the property but no actual demo of the building fronting Mission St (which will have to go to construct the first of the three new buildings) has begun so far as I know.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Bay Area residents filling up Ritz-Carlton condos

With the move-in date set for the end of the year, escrow is closing fast and furious on the new Ritz-Carlton Club and Residences at 690 Market St. in San Francisco. And so far, the public records are backing up what the marketing folks have been saying for months: Most of the buyers are Bay Area residents.

Out of the 10 recorded transactions that have showed up in the Business Times Biz Leads, nine of the buyers are current Bay Area residents, and one is from Salt Lake City. The towns of Alamo, San Mateo, Hillsborough, Los Gatos, Burlingame, Alamo and Redwood City are represented among the buyers.

The most expensive recorded thus far was snapped up for $3 million by a retired doctor from Napa. The buyers also include the project's general manager, Robert Van Dijk, who is shelling out $1.8 million for a unit.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...wscolumn1.html

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^^^ Some high rent districts in that list. City pads for weekends, etc. most likely (rather than moving). I wish I was a retired doctor and had that kind of coin.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Nov 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM. Reason: missing word

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:35 PM
BANNED

^^^I am (well, except for the extra $3M) and I told you I'd marry you (as long as you've got $100K for the place at the Millenium).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:41 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^^^ I know, that's why I added the wink. As for marriage, that would require a divorce and orientation change. Plus, I don't have $100K sitting in my bank account. There would be some financing in that Millennium deal.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 8:48 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^I am (well, except for the extra $3M) and I told you I'd marry you (as long as you've got $100K for the place at the Millenium).
Hopefully someone will buy a penthouse suite in the Millennium, and then do the smart thing and sublet it out to people who (like most of us) would love to live up there, if only for a month.

My buddies and I would jump at the chance to get together and drop some $$$ for a month on top of the Millennium

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:26 PM

Nice pic of Argenta:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2338/...21f73220_b.jpg
(posted by Stefan Didak @ flickr)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:39 PM

I found this regarding the construction at 10th and Mission, if anyone was wondering (12 stories and 136 apartments).

http://www.cahill-sf.com/experience/...project_no=758

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:40 PM

Here is a shot from Potrero Hill that I took yesterday morning:

The Intercontinental is such a visual disappointment, I tried to cut it out of the shots I took. But here's one where it snuck in at the edge:

Lastly, here's a great aerial posted by eoliver on flickr:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2080/...bd017008_b.jpg

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 5:25 PM
Green Berniecrat

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this before, but this article comes up on some interesting office space notes:

Quote:
Speculation frenzy - Building offices without tenants already in hand has reached a level not seen in the Bay Area since the Reagan era

San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

Friday, October 26, 2007

With building crews setting up on sites from Mission Street to Mission Bay, San Francisco is in the midst of a speculative commercial development boom unmatched since the 1980s.

Construction has started -- or is expected to start shortly -- on some 1.9 million square feet of new building.

At 555 Mission St., Turner Construction is pouring a floor a week on Tishman Speyer's 550,000-square-foot development. At 500 Terry Francois Blvd., Swinerton Builders recently topped off Lowe Enterprises' 300,000-square-foot office building. Deeper into Mission Bay, Alexandria Real Estate Equities has finished driving piles on its next Owens Street building, a 160,000-square-foot structure that could either house biotech or traditional technology.

Meanwhile, Beacon Capital Partners is pulling permits for its 535 Mission St., a 300,000-square-foot building and could begin construction in December.

And the activity is not limited to the city. Bay Area wide, some 9.7 million square feet of new office space is set to come online over the next three years, according to Mike Kamm, CEO of NAI BT Commercial.

In downtown Oakland, Shorenstein and financial partner MetLife recently said they would build a 500,000-square-foot speculative building. And in South San Francisco, construction has started on Myers Development's 697,000-square-foot Centennial campus.

An analysis by Frank Fudem of NAI BT Commercial found 1.5 million square feet will be delivered in San Francisco in 2008, although two of the developments, Wilson Meany Sullivan's Foundry Square 1 and Shorenstein's 499 Illinois St., already have tenants.

In addition, some 1.8 million of fully renovated space will be added in the city next year, including some 800,000 square feet at the SF Mart building and 400,000 square feet at TMG Partners' 680 Folsom St.

"I say bring it on," said Fudem. "When you look at the past at speculative building, they do eventually lease up and do contribute to the economy. San Francisco's economy and tax base can't grow if our ability to house job providers doesn't grow."

The construction activity has sparked a debate in commercial real estate circles over the strength of demand for new office space. Most brokerages are tracking about 2.5 million square feet of tenant demand in the city. Contrast that with the 5.6 million square feet now available in downtown San Francisco (including 700,000 of sublease space), and it appears that there are ample options for most average city tenants.

New space also tends to be more expensive, especially highrise, which costs upwards of $650 a square foot to build. Tishman Speyer and Beacon are both expecting to fetch an average of $65 a square foot for their Mission Street highrises. Since it's the first out of the ground, many brokers expect 555 Mission St. to attract a big name law firm or bank before the end of 2008, when it will be delivered.

While mid-level space at Embarcadero Center is leasing in the $60s, and higher space for $75 a square foot, asking rates in the central business district average about $50.

Studley executive vice president and co-branch manager Steve Barker said the $60 a square foot is the "minimum average rent any new building needs to get to have a fighting chance."

Add to that the cost of high-end corporate tenant improvements, and companies will pay a premium to be in new space. Much existing empty space has been recently improved and thus would be cheaper to build out.

"How are they going to lease space in the $60s, $70s, and $80s when there is so much space, with residual (tenant improvements) in the $40s and $50s?" asked Barker, who represents tenants exclusively. "Something has to be driving new buildings going up other than the age-old test of supply and demand."

Kevin Brennan, also a Studley executive VP, said there has to be a compelling reason to shell out an extra 20 percent a month in rents.

"Why would you go to a new building for higher rents? Either you're the type of tenant that really wants to be in a new, sexy building, or you can't find enough space elsewhere. Meaning you're a big tenant, need a 100,000 square feet and don't have other options."

Jones Lang LaSalle Managing Director Wes Powell said with a 9.3 percent vacancy and four years of positive absorption, "the market is healthy and the market could use these buildings."

"There are a number of large tenants having trouble finding headquarters blocks of space with built-in expansion opportunities," said Powell.

In addition to the banks and law firms who are typically drawn to the most prestigious buildings, tech firms may be increasingly looking for better city space. Thus far, 2007 has been defined by accelerated interest in San Francisco from the tech firms that have traditionally grown at suburban-style campuses in Silicon Valley.

Fox Interactive recently took 35,000 square feet for MySpace, joining Google, Cisco, Microsoft, Yahoo and Autodesk on the list of tech firms that have taken significant chunks of space this year.

"To be clear, these are not dot-com losers, these are successful, profitable, growing companies," said Powell.

While tech companies historically prefer low-rise buildings with big floorplates, well established companies like Google and Microsoft may be interested in establishing a downtown presence as they mature, according to economist Peter Linneman, professor of real estate at Wharton School of Business and editor of the Linneman Letter, an industry report.

While tech companies historically prefer low-rise buildings with big floorplates, well established companies like Google and Microsoft may be interested in establishing a downtown presence as they mature, according to economist Peter Linneman, professor of real estate at Wharton School of Business and editor of the Linneman Letter, an industry report.

"The great companies of the day tend to drift to the great addresses," said Linneman.

The question may be how much firms are willing to pay for downtown views and pedigree. A recent report by Jones Lang LaSalle found that rents in San Francisco, more than any major market, have the furthest to climb to equal dot-com highs. While Chicago and Boston are already approaching their 2000 peaks, San Francisco rents are just 57 percent of what they were at the dot-com apex.

As a top broker for building owners, Powell said tenant demand is robust.

"What I'm seeing across a large cross section of the market is that small and medium-sized tenants are growing," said Powell. "The 7,000-square-foot tenant needs 10,000. The 12,000-square-foot tenant needs 16,000. This is organic growth."

Still, speculative commercial development is risky and the seven-year deals mean that landlords are stuck with low rents for a while if they time the market wrong. Linneman said he expects a recession starting in 2009 and going into 2010.

"We think 2009 and 2010 will be a very risky time to be bringing on speculative office space. I would be wary," he said.

Buildings completed in this time, he said, "may take three or four years to lease."

Architect Jeffrey Heller of HellerManus, who worked on several of the new office buildings under construction, said the number of developers interested in doing commercial spec projects has continued to jump as the national housing woes have caused uncertainty in the condo market.

"The office market is still toasty," he said.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Nice pic of Argenta:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2338/...21f73220_b.jpg
(posted by Stefan Didak @ flickr)
I love the angle of this shot. It makes it seem that the Argenta is bigger than it really is. Does anyone know if it has topped out yet? Also, does anyone know if they have started putting glass on this building?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Here is a shot from Potrero Hill that I took yesterday morning:
My goodness, Rincon Hill looks just like the renderings. It gives it this sort of fantasy quality to it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:08 AM

Here are a couple more I took today.
Corona Heights:

Dolores Park:

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrekker View Post
I found this regarding the construction at 10th and Mission, if anyone was wondering (12 stories and 136 apartments).

http://www.cahill-sf.com/experience/...project_no=758
More here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...114324&page=37

and here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...114324&page=38

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:12 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Awesome shots, botoxic. I love that aerial you found too.

The Intercontinental looks a lot better from the southwest (ie: your last shot from Dolores). Overall, I can't say I absolutely hate it, but I thought it would be better. My biggest complaint is the white fins on the southeastern face. They are much more prominent than I expected. Rather than a subtle detail around the glass, they completely overwhelm it to the point that you barely notice the glass on that face at all.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:16 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
At 555 Mission St., Turner Construction is pouring a floor a week on Tishman Speyer's 550,000-square-foot development.
"Pouring"? Steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Meanwhile, Beacon Capital Partners is pulling permits for its 535 Mission St., a 300,000-square-foot building and could begin construction in December.
Can't wait!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
"Pouring"? Steel?
Well, the SF construction market is red hot!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations