HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Superstition Meadery looking to come downtown:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...nsion-10605775

Maybe they can take Pedal Haus' spot at the Churchill? I've been to their tasting room in Prescott and it's pretty great. Mead is not everyone's thing but it would add some nice variety.
Has Pedal Haus withdrawn from the Churchill?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Has Pedal Haus withdrawn from the Churchill?
That was the word in the Churchill thread, I think someone picked it up from their social media.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:09 PM

I wonder the same thing.

Also, Superstition Meadery's products are often on the list at King's on Central. I've had a few and decided that Mead just isn't for me.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Superstition Meadery looking to come downtown:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...nsion-10605775

Maybe they can take Pedal Haus' spot at the Churchill? I've been to their tasting room in Prescott and it's pretty great. Mead is not everyone's thing but it would add some nice variety.
Not allowed to say where, but it won't be there.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
👀👀

Won't pry, but glad that it sounds like there is some momentum to it actually happening.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
The article says they aren’t going to open until fall of 2019, Churchill needs a tenant much Sooner

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:22 PM
under the influence...

A little birdy told me he's opening one in downtown Chandler. He's already got Las Palmas there.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
A little birdy told me he's opening one in downtown Chandler. He's already got Las Palmas there.
Are you thinking of Julian Wright?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:09 AM
Modulator

Can anyone tell me what "18-3980 2018 ZONING PLZA" is for on the City of Phoenix permits website? There were 2 of them approved for 355 N. Central which is the lot where Kenect Phoenix is to be built. One was approved on the 9th and another today. But I do not know what these permits are for. Hoping that these mean something should be moving soon.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:00 AM
Modulator

Didn't this rezoning sign across from the library once say 250'?? I can't find my original post now. Pretty sure it did though. Now it says max of 180'. Anyone know what happened?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:27 AM

Zoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Didn't this rezoning sign across from the library once say 250'?? I can't find my original post now. Pretty sure it did though. Now it says max of 180'. Anyone know what happened?

That site was zoned at 75', and was supposed to be a mirror of the Artisan Lofts. The recession hit, and it was never built. Now that real estate is hot, the owner wants to make some scratch. It's currently zoned at unlimited density, and there was just a sort of end run to raise the height, and to ignore any other changes. The neighbors aren't taking too kindly to the switch without any conversation. I'm guessing the height will come down more, and that there will be other conversations.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
That site was zoned at 75', and was supposed to be a mirror of the Artisan Lofts. The recession hit, and it was never built. Now that real estate is hot, the owner wants to make some scratch. It's currently zoned at unlimited density, and there was just a sort of end run to raise the height, and to ignore any other changes. The neighbors aren't taking too kindly to the switch without any conversation. I'm guessing the height will come down more, and that there will be other conversations.
I do not understand how anyone can make the argument that a 25 story building on central and Wiletta is inappropriate for he area

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:49 AM

Approving any height at any location is how you ended up with a four mile stretched out skyline to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Approving any height at any location is how you ended up with a four mile stretched out skyline to begin with.
Cats out of the bag and lady corner from the downtown library is hardly “4 Miles” up central

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:26 AM

Your ability to understand isn't very good. Phoenix skyline stretches almost four miles (Washington to Indian School) because any height was ok at any location. People on this forum lament that fact and then complain about opposition to tall buildings north of the freeway.

Am I the only one who sees inconsistencies?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:21 AM
Skyriser

I've lamented that, but yes, that cat's out of the bag. I just look at it with the city having big britches to fill.

It should also be noted that the expansion of Phoenix's skyline away from downtown and back again over the decades has been market initiated and responded to with planning. The Central Corridor plan that envisioned unlimited heights along Central was replaced by the Urban Villages plan around the time Metrocenter was being built out in the late 1970s. Accordingly, if a property owner wants a gap filler between the Ho and McDowell, it's ridiculous to stand in their way over skyline aesthetics--that's a level of NIMBYism that you find in San Francisco.

There is, however, some valid consternation that RAA might have, although it's not too far from where much larger projects have been proposed such as Museum Towers where The Willa is and the KLM? proposal that Muse is on now.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:10 PM

Skyline aesthetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I've lamented that, but yes, that cat's out of the bag. I just look at it with the city having big britches to fill.

It should also be noted that the expansion of Phoenix's skyline away from downtown and back again over the decades has been market initiated and responded to with planning. The Central Corridor plan that envisioned unlimited heights along Central was replaced by the Urban Villages plan around the time Metrocenter was being built out in the late 1970s. Accordingly, if a property owner wants a gap filler between the Ho and McDowell, it's ridiculous to stand in their way over skyline aesthetics--that's a level of NIMBYism that you find in San Francisco.

There is, however, some valid consternation that RAA might have, although it's not too far from where much larger projects have been proposed such as Museum Towers where The Willa is and the KLM? proposal that Muse is on now.
Oh, I don't think it has a thing to do with aesthetics (for the neighbors, who have a lot of other issues, or for the seller, who is looking for pure $$). None of the neighbors are particularly NIMBY either. The land there is currently zoned as unlimited density (which is different than other parcels with much higher height limits). I think that the owner also wants to get rid of the parking lot and gate on the north side of Artisan, to create a through street. There are also issues with a drainage ditch (which they don't own) behind the property. There are no site plans being discussed, and there is little offered in the way of changing density, streets, or setbacks. If the owner wants to get some cooperation at changing the height, the neighbors probably want an actual conversation that involves concrete details and concessions that make it more of a negotiation.

Just an outsiders perspective that doesn't vilify either side. This isn't the same situation as the South Central light rail group. Just residents who want to be talked to rather than danced around.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:40 PM

Tons of articles on Multi-family construction, market etc on Phoenix Business Journals today.

All locked of course. If anyone wants to post the contents of those articles here I would appreciate it!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:23 PM
METRO: Encanto

The request is for 180 feet, which is being discussed as 22 stories. There is what appears to be strong opposition.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu.../Z-TA-2-17.pdf

Unrelated political side note: This case will go to Planning Commission on August 2nd. There is a debate for the LD24 legislators' race on the same night. One of the candidates, John Glenn, is on the Planning Commission and therefore can't attend the debate. All candidates agreed to a change of the debate schedule except Marcus Ferrell, who apparently would prefer a debate with one of the key players absent. Ferrell is the same person who has been saying publicly that he "served on the Willo Board" when in reality he got himself elected to an open seat and never attended a meeting.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Tons of articles on Multi-family construction, market etc on Phoenix Business Journals today.

All locked of course. If anyone wants to post the contents of those articles here I would appreciate it!
I took a look--none are particularly of interest. If you want to read for yourself, and you use Chrome, there is an extension that will allow you to read them. I believe it was someone that posted here that created it.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kcfhgcnd?hl=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest