HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:56 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

^ Okay maybe it is. I just found this sit marketing the land

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19396...Pittsburgh-PA/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
^ Okay maybe it is. I just found this sit marketing the land

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19396...Pittsburgh-PA/
Didn't they just knock down a bunch of houses as part of preparation for construction? They filed demolition permits anyway.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:15 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Didn't they just knock down a bunch of houses as part of preparation for construction? They filed demolition permits anyway.
Yeah, I double checked and that site was last updated in 2015. Sorry. I'm a over the place. So apparently they still own the property.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, they demolished several homes over this past summer and did some grading of the site footprint. Multiple small houses that were at the corner of Wyoming and Sycamore, and some fronting Sycamore, are completely gone now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
Yes, they demolished several homes over this past summer and did some grading of the site footprint. Multiple small houses that were at the corner of Wyoming and Sycamore, and some fronting Sycamore, are completely gone now.
Well, demolishing houses and then leaving the land sit fallow waiting for development is a long and storied tradition in Mt. Washington.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:04 PM

Very true that Millcraft has been a productive developer. But their projects have also tended to be pretty conventional. That's not necessarily a bad thing (conventional and actually done is better than a fantasy that remains an open lot). However, this Esplanade project feels very different to me from their prior projects for just that reason.

Which is also not necessarily a bad thing, if it gets done.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 3:06 PM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 5:50 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post

I can't check the Post Gazette in Incognito mode anymore. They're on to us. Does anyone have a work around?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I can't check the Post Gazette in Incognito mode anymore. They're on to us. Does anyone have a work around?
You can view page source and look through the HTML for the text. It's not as easy to read as the Pittsburgh Business Times that way though.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 6:07 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
So far Firefox private window is still working for me. Just remember to turn tracking protection off.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:19 PM

If it makes things easier, here is a link to the article that was referenced in the Post-Gazette.

https://www.bestplaces.net/docs/stud..._location.aspx

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Subscribe?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:00 PM

Nothing confirmed yet, but it seems like the plans to redevelop the "Shakespeare Street" Giant Eagle are coming closer to fruition. The tentative plans include demolishing the existing strip mall and building a new, smaller Giant Eagle (35,000 vs 53,000 square feet) which will front directly on Penn Avenue. There will be an additional 40,000 square feet for other retail (on Shady?). The interior of the development will include both housing and structured parking.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:49 PM

9/25 Planning Commission presentation now online. Five new items:

1. Minor rezoning in Larimer, where a property owner wants to take four existing lots and change their zone from R1D-M to LNC. This appears to be because a local funeral home located across the street wants to build a new one-story structure and surface lot onsite, which isn't allowed in a residential zone in Pittsburgh.

2. Renovations to the Bar Louie site at 300 North Shore Drive. It's a pretty small ($70,000) project focusing on semi-enclosing the outdoor patio.

3. Facade changes to the existing Rite Aid Pharmacy at 3700 Forbes Avenue. Basically following the new renderings, the facades of the first floor and the upper floors of the corner building will be altered, and the rooflines of the two single-story storefronts aligned, so that they all match and appear to be the same structure. A new store logo focused on the three-story building at the corner will also be added.

4. In-kind window replacement for the AAA Building at 5900 Baum Boulevard. The window replacements are three larged arched window assemblies on the Trade Street side of the building.

5. The only new construction this week is a $5 million project at the corner of Madison Avenue and E. Lacock Street on the North Shore. This will be a new 23,850 square foot. four-story 50-bed rescue mission for Light of Life Ministry. It will include 20 off-street parking spaces. They're taking up basically all of the unused parcels in this area. Interestingly, they're not taking the two abandoned buildings at the corner of Voeghtly which remain from the days of Schewizer Lock. The house is likely beyond hope, but I hope somehow the commercial building with the cool corner gets restored one day. I believe this facility is the relocation of the work they did elsewhere in the North Side (Allegheny West and Central North Side) which NIMBYs wanted to be relocated further away from residential zones. There are renderings. I find the roof choice a bit odd, but it adds some character to what would otherwise be a very bland modern building.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Nothing confirmed yet, but it seems like the plans to redevelop the "Shakespeare Street" Giant Eagle are coming closer to fruition. The tentative plans include demolishing the existing strip mall and building a new, smaller Giant Eagle (35,000 vs 53,000 square feet) which will front directly on Penn Avenue. There will be an additional 40,000 square feet for other retail (on Shady?). The interior of the development will include both housing and structured parking.
Sounds promising! Does it say how many housing units?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Sounds promising! Does it say how many housing units?
The article said nothing about the number of housing units unfortunately. Given the property is literally on the opposite side of East Liberty Station from Eastside Bond, I'm hoping for a similar scale however.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:45 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I wonder if that smaller Giant Eagle will have residential units above it. I imagine that this re-aligned shopping center will have frontage on Shady Side Ave. as well as Penn with the parking in the back.

I had another thought. They could have the Giant Eagle development configured to the one that used to front Brownsville Road in Brentwood. That one had parking behind it as well as in between it and the Burger King.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I wonder if that smaller Giant Eagle will have residential units above it. I imagine that this re-aligned shopping center will have frontage on Shady Side Ave. as well as Penn with the parking in the back.

I had another thought. They could have the Giant Eagle development configured to the one that used to front Brownsville Road in Brentwood. That one had parking behind it as well as in between it and the Burger King.
They explicitly said the Giant Eagle would front on Penn Avenue, with additional commercial frontage elsewhere (Presumably on Shady).

Honestly, fronting on Penn seems ambitious to me, because the stretch of Penn between there and Bakery Square is terrible. The gated community with the big privacy wall facing Penn is likely never going to change, and I don't think there are any plans to fix the Village of Eastside. Most pedestrians are either going to be walking up Shady from deeper in Shadyside or across the pedestrian bridge from Eastside Bond. Hence the focus of the storefronts should be right around Shady and Ellsworth, with Penn given secondary focus - if at all. This would also help because technically that last block of Shady is partially zoned LNC, though there's not much down there currently (a hair salon, florist, and a few random nonprofits and doctors offices).

Edit: It would be cool if they could find some way to link up the stub of a business district on Shady with S Highland - probably through rezoning the frontage at the top of Ellsworth. You could get a nice little business district facing the busway then. But I'm guessing the NIMBYs on Emerson would block that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 12:57 PM

Just idle musing, but I would guess from a developer's perspective, you'd want the grocery store along Penn and more "boutique" retail along Shady for just those reasons.

Of course if the plaza across Penn gets redeveloped too, and you are no longer looking at the side of Club One and a parking lot, there was residential back there as well, and so on, maybe that calculation would shift a bit. I don't know about active plans, but that was all contemplated in the pitch for the East Liberty Transit Center.

In fact, I'd still like to eventually explore the possibility of extending Shady to curve along the Busway to East Liberty Boulevard, perhaps with parking underneath ala Spirit Street in the East Liberty Transit center, and maybe at least a pedestrian bridge across to Broad Street. That would require tearing down the strip mall, but it would allow basically a mirror image of East Side Bond/an extension of Bakery Square.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:26 PM

Looks like the cyclists have won, and there will be bike lanes on Smallman between 16th and 21st after all. It seems this is pretty much meant explicitly as an extension of the existing Penn Avenue bike lane which dies at 16th (though how to link it is still in question). Hence in exchange for getting this, the bike lane extension up Penn to 31st is likely dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations