HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:29 PM

I thought they agreed to the affordable housing thing after all? Yesterday or something? And the affordable housing thing was only like $200k.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:31 PM
Ignore these four words.

New page.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is the release:

True North Square Plaza to officially open September 27

Public invited to participate in the official opening and day-long programming

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WINNIPEG, September 21, 2018 - True North Square will officially welcome the public to visit the plaza and celebrate the opening of Tower 1 at 242 Hargrave on Thursday, September 27 as construction is completed and fencing is removed, allowing public access for the first time.

"After so much anticipation we are thrilled to be able to showcase the many features of this public plaza to the citizens of Winnipeg," said Jim Ludlow, President of True North Real Estate Development.

The opening of True North Square will be celebrated with a full day of programming that begins with free coffee (to the first 3,000 people) courtesy of Tim Hortons beginning at 6:30 a.m. and leads into the evening activities hosted by Ace Burpee, and with appearances by Mick E. Moose and the Winnipeg Jets promo team from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in advance of the Winnipeg Jets vs. New Jersey Devils pre-season game.

Musicians and performers will bring the space to life throughout the day while the formal opening will take place at 1 p.m. including a treaty acknowledgement and honour song to recognize the history of the Treaty One land that True North Square is built upon. The Honourable Premier Brian Pallister and his Worship, Mayor Brian Bowman will also bring greetings to officially open True North Square.

The 56-jet water feature will be on display for the first time that morning. Winnipeggers are invited to take a coffee break in the plaza, engage in table games that will be set up throughout the space, stroll up the grand staircase, or enjoy a quiet moment surrounded by the landscaping that features hearty prairie grasses and plantings.

Food trucks will be on site beginning at 3 p.m. in time for a coffee break or pre-game festivities.

"We welcome Winnipeggers to celebrate this significant milestone with us, and with their neighbours, as we showcase the new reality of downtown Winnipeg," encouraged Ludlow. "Bring your lunch, grab a snack, enjoy the entertainment and of course, take part in the grand opening program, which will be a historic moment for our city."

Activities and programming are subject to change.

True North Square is a cutting-edge mixed-use development that, upon completion, will feature over one million square feet of office, hotel, residential, retail, parking and public plaza space, further building upon the new dynamic epicentre of Winnipeg's downtown.

Tower 1 at 242 Hargrave opened its doors with the first tenant, Thompson Dorfman Sweatman (TDS), officially opening for business at their new home in July 2018. Tower 2 at 225 Carlton Street is a hybrid office, retail, and residential building that will feature 194 high-end residential rental units that will be move-in ready in the spring of 2019. Phase 2 of the project includes True North Square's third and fourth towers, the Sutton Place Hotel and Residences, to be located on the corner of Carlton Street and St. Mary Avenue with anticipated completion in 2021.

To learn more about True North Square, please visit www.truenorthsquare.com.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 3:52 AM

Source:tourismwinnipegTrue North Square in progress. One could say 242 Hargrave (which frames the Public Plaza) is ahead of the curve.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_ukHAl...ourismwinnipeg

architecture49Some of the beautiful details at @truenorthsquare captured by Tom Arban.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9HhfvA...architecture49

Brandon Lee (@brandon.lee.07) on Instagram: “The design of these new skyscrapers look amazing
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn6wqCnB...brandon.lee.07

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:48 PM
keep the good times going

I wonder when they're going to put up that large television screen

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:03 PM

^ At first glance, Republic Architecture and Marie Rose Place look like the same building that last photo.

I too am curious about the big screen on TNS... I wonder if TNSE will spring for 2 screens and put one up along the Donald Street side of the MTS Centre where brackets were installed but no sign ever went up.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:40 PM

Wow stunning images! I really love the fins or whatever on the windows. Looks great.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 9:39 PM

I don’t think a screen on Donald would make much sense, unless they could convince the city to allow them to angle it over the sidewalk to face traffic. I definitely think they should put a second one in TNS though. Seems kind of dumb they wouldn’t have One facing all the staircase seating and patios.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:03 AM

Looking at the picture it reminded me that I was surprised that when I got off of work at 8pm on Friday that the downtown Comfort Station was not open with an event going on next door.

For some reason I was under the impression that the Biz/Salmom Mission would keep it open until 1 hour after the Bell-Mts Center event ended.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:56 PM
Ignore these four words.

Article about TNSE. Title got me.

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2018...x-payer-funded

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Interesting take.

It's a tough call. TNSE is criticized for the amount of subsidies it has received over the years. But on the other hand, they have paid most of their own way. Even the arena was paid for mostly with private funding, unlike the arena screwjobs that have been inflicted on a number of NHL markets.

Also, there is immense value in having the team here. We are literally the smallest major league market in North America, and I don't care what anyone says about Green Bay because that team would not exist without Milwaukee and Madison down the road. Getting the NHL back did announce, in a way, that we were back after being left for dead in the 90s. So there is that factor to consider. Vancouver could lose the Canucks tomorrow and Vancouver would still be Vancouver. But without the NHL here, Winnipeg definitely loses a lot of its lustre.

The writer says "TNSE did not bring the Jets back to make Winnipeggers happy; they brought them back to make money"... but is there anything necessarily wrong with doing both of those things? Because that's what TNSE appears to be pulling off.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting take.

It's a tough call. TNSE is criticized for the amount of subsidies it has received over the years. But on the other hand, they have paid most of their own way. Even the arena was paid for mostly with private funding, unlike the arena screwjobs that have been inflicted on a number of NHL markets.

Also, there is immense value in having the team here. We are literally the smallest major league market in North America, and I don't care what anyone says about Green Bay because that team would not exist without Milwaukee and Madison down the road. Getting the NHL back did announce, in a way, that we were back after being left for dead in the 90s. So there is that factor to consider. Vancouver could lose the Canucks tomorrow and Vancouver would still be Vancouver. But without the NHL here, Winnipeg definitely loses a lot of its lustre.

The writer says "TNSE did not bring the Jets back to make Winnipeggers happy; they brought them back to make money"... but is there anything necessarily wrong with doing both of those things? Because that's what TNSE appears to be pulling off.
Yeah, the whole argument that it was solely a business decision I don't think necessarily holds water. There are better less risky ways to make money then to own an NHL team in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:11 PM
Ignore these four words.

Of course, first and foremost it's a business, but we can't take away the fact that Chipman is a Winnipegger and a hockey fan. As a business he wants to make money but he also takes pride in the city that he lives in. Case and point, he bought an old dilapidated building on Main St. to restore it to its' old glory. Don't know if he'll recover all the money he put into that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Of course, first and foremost it's a business, but we can't take away the fact that Chipman is a Winnipegger and a hockey fan. As a business he wants to make money but he also takes pride in the city that he lives in. Case and point, he bought an old dilapidated building on Main St. to restore it to its' old glory. Don't know if he'll recover all the money he put into that.
John Pollard, of Pollard Banknote, purchased that building and restored it. You have your benevolent millionaires mixed up.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:30 PM
Ignore these four words.

Yes you are correct, it's the Pollards. They're far from being MY benevelont millionaires.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:18 PM

That article reeks of a blog that's mad TNSE doesn't consider them to be a real news outlet. That's a hockey blog, weird that they would even touch on it frankly, unless they have a bone to pick.

I agree that if they take all the tax breaks they should have to have the affordable component... but that article is beyond overkill. "Making Winnipeggers happy" and "making money" don't have to be mutually exclusive. Of course they brought them here to make money, if anyone ever thought otherwise, hopefully they're not allowed to drive.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting take.

And that's huge in my book. The standard today with any major league sports franchises is to blackmail the taxpayers into funding an arena/stadium. Look at Edmonton, Calgary, Detroit (did the Red Wings even have to threaten to leave or did the bankrupt City jump at the chance to sink even deeper into debt?)

And that's something that a lot of Ottawa fans don't seem to get. The Sens owner, Melnyk, has done a lot to irritate fans over the last few years (responsible for the loss of Alfredsson and Karlsson, prone to outbursts where he says things he probably doesn't mean but falls short of apologizing (see he's interview during the NHL Classic Alumni Game in 2017) and he's done some bad decisions regarding the team's executive branch over the years. But he's been adamant that he will not ask for any public money to build his new arena downtown. I think we need to give him credit for that. If he were to sell, which is what a lot of Sens fans call for, who's to say the next guy won't hold the team at ransom?

Back to the article, it's interesting that they also take a shot at the Bluebombers and their new stadium. As far as I know, no CFL team has ever built their own venue. They just don't make anywhere near enough money to do that.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:34 AM

^Yeah and considering the only other "stadium" we have is University Stadium, it's something a city of this size needs.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:14 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I wonder when the Food Court opens?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Click bait.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan