HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:33 PM

Considering North Temple is a pretty busy road, does anyone know how traffic will flow when the old viaduct is torn down? Will they leave a section of road open or will traffic be redirected somewhere else?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 8:24 PM
BANNED

I heard that Gastronomy, who owns the parking lot and the hardware building east of the tracks, plans on developing that land, hopefully it will include housing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 8:27 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I've been impressed in the past with what Gastronomy has done with different projects, they seem to be visionary. While I don't know for sure, put like UB I hope it includes housing, I really do expect that it will.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Thank you. It looks like to me that could be a bit of a pain in the ass to travel around while the new viaduct is getting put in, but the end result will be well worth it. Have there been any estimated time tables for how long it will take for the new viaduct to get put in? It seems like quite a project.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 7:49 PM

Politicians and businesses eye new vision for State Street

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10118927

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:28 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
I heard that Gastronomy, who owns the parking lot and the hardware building east of the tracks, plans on developing that land, hopefully it will include housing.
I hope it includes a restaurant!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 8:09 AM
BANNED

How about this for a plan?

Or this?

2300 East TRAX bridge:

Last edited by urbanboy; Mar 25, 2010 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Politicians and businesses eye new vision for State Street

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10118927
Thanks for that post Makid. Good to see this cooperative effort beginning to catch some traction. State Street's redevelopment through the Valley is long overdue. I see it with a potential to become much like Wilshire Blvd. in L.A.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 12:39 AM
Lurker

oooh! A streetcar on State Street! Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 1:03 AM

Why not. I don't see any property values being hurt as it's almost entirely commercial, so property values and sales would rise.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 1:49 AM

I've been thinking about this a lot (including electric buses and/or bus lanes too), and I just don't think State Street is the best candidate for these things. I don't think those measures would really do much as far as business goes... State St seems to be doing fine as a totally auto-oriented commercial corridor. If there's one place in the valley that I think is appropriate for several lanes of quick moving traffic, I think State is probably the one. No matter how friendly it is to pedestrians, it just isn't much of a pedestrian destination, considering the fact that a great deal of the businesses on State are car dealerships, boat/RV dealerships, auto shops, etc. My other concern is that it is so close to TRAX, it would seem like a bit of a waste to me. If we're pursuing street car development, I think we should focus on other areas first, where stuff isn't so spread out, and perhaps where there are already lots of pedestrians.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:40 AM

The bus works extremely well on State. Not a fan of changing it. Also not a fan of working with UDOT. I think State should see a boulevard treatment for stretches where the likely hood of pedestrian friendly development is more possible. IT would consist of 2 lanes in each direction, a small landscaped median on each side, then a local access road with parking next to a wide sidewalk.

The other thing that goes unmentioned is that State is the best incubator location for small business. Changing much of it with new buildings, which most small businesses cannot afford, is an economic disaster.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 4:06 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

See that is the entire point of the vision for state. While it is a major auto oriented road and a gateway into so many cities in the valley, it provides such a huge opportunity for each city to create a brand or image for itself. Establishing some sort of transit can help to transform it into a more pedestrian oriented street. In some instances pedestrian oriented areas can be looked at like the chicken and the egg, which came first, the pedestrians or the transit and development to support those pedestrians. I think in the case of State St. I think it will require the commitment to some sort of transit along there, whether that is a dedicated curb side bus lane, a center lane BRT or a street car/trolley system. While Traxx is just a couple of blocks away, I think whatever transit option would be placed on State would be a lot more locally focused rather than commuter focused which Trax would cover.

I personally like the idea of having N. Temple be a Grand Blvd coming in from the Airport and State being a Grand Blvd, connection so many cities in the valley. I realize that State handles a large amount of traffic but I really think that it could be designed in a way to accommodate both.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 4:17 PM

Good thoughts, but don't count on a trax line running right through (or over via a bridge) the Salt Lake City Country Club any time soon.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 5:16 PM

I think that Murray has done a much better job with their portion of State St. than anyone else. It's got a lot of auto-oriented uses (car dealers, etc.) but also mixes new retail developments well and has pockets of pedestrian friendly areas, such as its downtown district:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stan View Post
Good thoughts, but don't count on a trax line running right through (or over via a bridge) the Salt Lake City Country Club any time soon.
Why do you say that? it wouldn't interfere with the game.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Why do you say that? it wouldn't interfere with the game.
It could. It could impact all of the vegetation that is around the greens on both sides. It also shades much of the grass which changes how it grows, the grain of the grass will change as the solar impacts change and the green side hazards, particularly on the 17th green. Not to mention the cost of what would probably be a 1300 foot long span to get over the ravine and I-80.

What would be the benefit? There is very little development opportunities along 2300 E and the density is pretty low along the entire stretch from SLC, through Millcreek and into Holladay. It is not a good street for this kind of development. Highland drive is a much better option for rail transit. The problem with the east side from Millcreek to Sandy is that the street network is spread out and there are few destinations and an even bigger angst towards density.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 11:12 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
oooh! A streetcar on State Street! Thoughts?
UDOT won't want to give up the lanes. Just look at State Street in American Fork and the scandal there. UDOT still wants three lanes - the city doesn't want to give up their on-street parking, and to try and have both would mean demolishing half the businesses - which neither side wants.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 11:55 PM

2300 E is kind of narrow, with only one lane going each way plus a center turning lane. It's also mainly residential... there's really nothing interesting at all on 2300.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West