HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:53 AM

FAST FOOD in Canada

I wish that we could add our previous posts on here.

For those of us who worked at McD's, does anybody remember the Q-ing ovens? Those super powerful microwave ovens used to heat the food. You had to know the codes for different items. I remember we had to say an item was "Q-ing" when someone at the front was waiting for something and it was in one of these things:

They used to use them for pretty much every burger but now I think they're only used for certain items from what I've heard.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 6:52 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I try to avoid using microwaves as much as possible (depending on food texture), and will patiently use the real oven instead whenever possible.

What do we consider "fast" food anyway? Does it have to be a chain, or can it be a full service restaurant? Where do we draw the line? if I buy a shawarma from my local mom & pop outlet, is that fast food?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ I try to avoid using microwaves as much as possible (depending on food texture), and will patiently use the real oven instead whenever possible.

What do we consider "fast" food anyway? Does it have to be a chain, or can it be a full service restaurant? Where do we draw the line? if I buy a shawarma from my local mom & pop outlet, is that fast food?
Fast food and full service restaurant would be a contradiction, no?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I wish that we could add our previous posts on here.

For those of us who worked at McD's, does anybody remember the Q-ing ovens? Those super powerful microwave ovens used to heat the food. You had to know the codes for different items. I remember we had to say an item was "Q-ing" when someone at the front was waiting for something and it was in one of these things:

They used to use them for pretty much every burger but now I think they're only used for certain items from what I've heard.
The Q-ing oven was such a crock of shit. My last year at McD's, they overhauled the food preparation. Out was the bin and the old form of production calls: "Give me 12 ham, 6 macs, turn-lay" (which meant a call for 12 hamburgers, 6 Big Macs [the latter also requiring 12 10:1 patties], and once the patties for these were turned, another set of 12 & 6x2 was laid on the grill, and so forth). And then "On 12 ham?"...the answer might have been "On 8" which denoted how many of these 12 hamburgers became cheeseburgers. The prepared burgers were put up for the production manager to wrap and place in the bin, ready for purchase.

Then this fucking Q-ing oven came in. Buns were toasted in advance...sometimes 4 or more hours in advance. Meat was cooked and placed in holding steamer cabinets for up to 30 minutes in advance. Burgers were then "made to order" by slapping together the prepared ingredients, and reaheating them in a "Q-ing" oven. Allegedly the Q stood for 'quality'.

We were forbidden to call the Q-ing ovens "Microwaves" (even though it said, very clearly on the back of the oven: "This is a microwave oven" in the safety message). I recall having to answer customer queries about our new cooking methods, and doling out the official line about the Q-ing oven...how it wasn't a microwave, etc. ("then what the heck is it??").
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Reposted for posterity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Given his first-hand experience, it would be great if we could put MolsonEx in charge of teaching Oxbridge College’s “How To Pour Very Hot Used Cooking Oil In The Waste Oil Container Without Pouring It On Yourself, for dummies” class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I've got some stories about this. Maybe I shared them on here, because lemme tell you, I've got some stories. Here is one of them.

The Waste oil container was 3 feet off the ground, presumably to keep out (some) pests (it was always filled with thousands of maggots, of which each generation was fried...which will become clear in a moment). This required you to hoist the waste oil (which was in a square trolley, piping hot for at least an hour after discharging) up, well past your waistline. Naturally, it was easy to spill some under the circumstances. So you are hoisting this metal bin (weighs 18 pounds empty) filled with waste oil (50 pounds, as each bin held a box of shortening that weighed such, which was topped off many times a day to compensate to losses from coating fries/nuggets/whathaveyou). You can easily slip. One poor guy slipped backwards, and the piping hot grease covered his chest, torso, neck, and legs/feet. He was found unconscious, passed-out from the pain, about 20 minutes after going outside. 3rd degree burns on 30% of his body, 2nd degree burns on another 30%. His acrylic uniform top was partly melted to his body.

There were consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I can see that happening. Do you remember McPizza, McD Canada's abortive early-'90s attempt at a pizza pie? (They weren't bad, but eventually went the way of the Dodo due to nigh-nonexistent sales.) The charred pizza racks were cleaned in a metal container full of powerful degreaser that was placed onto one of the breakfast plancher grills. Full, it weighed about 150 lbs. I remember lifting it onto the grill by myself a few times, slipping and sliding on the perpetually greasy floors. Gives me chills to consider it now.
Also, a coworker told me a story of an incident that occurred at another outlet. McDs likes to hire intellectually handicapped folk because it can pay them less (I don't know if that is still true). At any rate, one of these poor clods was huge and strong. A guy in the kitchen was ridiculing him, so this big dude took the other's hands and dunked them for several seconds in the chicken fryer.
Another lovely memory you and I have shared in the past was the periodical emptying/cleaning of the sink's grease trap. By Jove, if there's a worse stench known to man (perhaps a decomposing corpse), I prefer to remain ignorant of it!

Quote:
ah the grease trap, aka the sump pump. Horrors of cleaning that thing out. A dimwitted manager once told an employee to dump the drained fry vat oil into the sink (she was running late, and wanted to gtf home after a long night as closing manager). Well the oil congealed and set. And "backwash" could not happen, as the sinks all overflowed. The mess was epic...it cost a lot of money to bring in Mr. Rooter.

Man, that hands in the chicken vat story is unnerving. We also had a number of intellectually handicapped people working at my McD's...one of which featured in a commercial for McD's. A lot of people made fun of this guy behind his back (he had some strange eating habits...ordered THE SAME MEAL every single day, 5 days a week, for at least three years: two 'plain ham' [no condiments], + Fries, + Strawberry Sunday) but mostly we were protective of him. I recall a big fight in the lobby between us managers (and a few senior employees) and a gang of shithead teens who were taunting the employee with the "r" word. When we asked them to leave, they laughed and suggested that we were also "r-ds". Back in the day, we didn't exactly hold back. It got physical, but that was a regular occurrence in the McD lobby.

I saw a guy leaning on the fry vat while chatting to a fellow crew member. His foot suddenly slipped out (the floors were always greasy, despite Baldanus's screams of "time to lean, time to clean!!"). His arm instinctively went out to protect his fall...right into the fry vat (425F), all the way past his elbow. The shriek...was bloodcurdling. He withdrew his arm, instinctively trying shake off the 425F oil coating it...and off came his fingernails and the top layers of his skin.

I know all about McD pizza. there were four of us chosen to be the first trainees of McDs pizza for western Montreal. I was one of them. We drove down to Cornwall, spending two days at one of the outlets that had the pizza rolled out (Cornwall was the first city in Eastern Canada to launch pizza). We came back to train managers/employees at different locations in Montreal, and within a month, the product was launched in Montreal.

I know all about that heavy duty degreaser soaking for the pizza grills. They'd go in all covered in grit. They'd come out pristine. We had a big plastic tub where the degreaser was kept along with the grills. I wouldn't want to lift it...yeah about 150 lbs sounds about right.

I got burned a zillion times while in the kitchen, nothing major. I once broke a bone in my foot while doing "Brower" (long story...I also worked at Brower for 6 months as a forklift driver). Got a really bad electric shock from a frayed vat machine cable. Another bad shock from a loose wire in the McNugget Cabinet. Good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
These McD's stories are something else. The deep fried maggots and fryer/grease burns, electric shocks, teenage brawls or brawls with teens, slips, trips and falls which is employment safety 101 etc. I hope things have much improved for the employees from 3 decades or more ago.

I do recall McPizza. It tasted cheap but had a unique sauce with a tiny bit of spiciness. It was served on a tray/stand like an actual pizzeria. I think my mom took us to get it 5 or so times. The advertising campaign probably cost more than they ever made in sales.
Novelty factor more than anything else.

lio, Hamberder University can be the first meme-versity with a fat head cartoon Bolanis on the logo. The diploma can be NFTs that the students pay extra for.
Quote:
Sorry for the dilatory reply and the renewed digression of this thread, but the car's Wifi (I'm at the cottage) was achingly slow yesterday. Good grief, you have more nightmarish stories than I do.
Don't remind me of Brower, the worst shift a kid could be sentenced to. Here, let's destroy your body for three hours by blasting 50-60 lb boxes down a wooden chute at your child-sized arms and torso, and in exchange you get $12. Sounds fair. One time, another kid and I finished early because of diligence, a little over 2 hours in, and this bitch of a manager (one of the only managers I ever disliked; she had the affect of a sociopath, and always refused to drive home "closing" kids, which was her duty, occupational and moral) told us to clock out. We demurred, demanding to be paid for the full three hours we were scheduled. Other coworkers chimed in and gathered around incensed, one saying his dad was a lawyer and would have the virago fired, etc. I don't recollect what happened (she faced no consequences), but I'm sure we were paid for the full three. Miniscule victories.
McDonald's and its fast-food brethren can rot. It's evident you still resent it as much as I do after all these years. I'm only fortunate in that I never worked under or with someone as vile as Baldanus.
Quote:
Maybe just a general fast food thread would be good.

This discussion has reminded me how much I hated doing the Brower shifts in Winter.
Quote:
Brower = Martin Brower = Distribution/Wholesaler for McDonalds = unloading trucks full of McD's products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Y'all seem to have some horror stories from your McDs days man - mine was a bit more positive than that. I mean minimum wage aside, it was a relatively positive experience outside of crappy customers. The employer was generally fair to me in the context of a minimum wage job

It probably helped that our McDs did blockbuster sales to the owner-operator had some decent margins to throw around and didn't really need to count pennies..

I also never had to do Brower loads, for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Same. I did two short'ish stints at McDs when I was younger and don't really have any horror stories to share. There was always one mid-aged manager who was power tripping, but other than that everyone else was good to work with. No horror stories on the food either, QC was so strict that nothing bad was making into the kitchen.

Quote:
5+ years McD's veteran here, worked at three stores (same ownership, West Island of Montreal) and also at Martin Brower (Warehouse, also West Island) , mostly full time during these 5+ years (it paid the bills while I went to CEGEP then University). My McD's years were the 1980s and early 90s. I imagine much has changed since the wild west days.
Quote:
I was a manager at McD's for more than 4 of my 5+ years.

Yeah, as a manager, you see it all.

In the end, however, and perhaps like a stint in the military, I did learn a lot, and the experience did shape my personality.
Quote:
Like Molson, I also worked there for more than five years. Talk about squandering one's existence! Only really worth it for the persiflage with coworkers. It wouldn't happen in today's oversensitive climate, but at the time there was much ribaldry and tomfoolery in the back (kitchen, mostly populated by young males), and reciprocal flirtation with the cashiers (mostly young females). Regrettably, I missed out on dating opportunities with a few fine fillies. I was far too shy to make a move, and didn't pick up on their interest, though I recognize it in hindsight.

As to your comment, it's true, as I mentioned earlier, the crew chiefs and entry-level managers were paid only marginally more than us rock-bottom plebeians, and that with much more responsibility. I was told more than once that "McDonald's Manager" was actually considered a substantial asset on one's resume. My conscientiousness and hard work led to the proffering of promotion on a few occasions, but I had zero, zilch, nada intention of investing more of myself in that shitty company. The only reason I was there for 5-6 years was because of my confounded inveterate indecision and inertia, which persists to this day.
Back then, early-'90s, entry-level managers made $7-8/hr, the next level up made a salary of circa $25,000, the third level about $35,000, and store managers about $45,000.
Quote:
My time was during the mid-1990s. I worked at the main Timmins location as well as at the Walmart one which had the same franchise owner. I really enjoyed the Walmart location as it was much less chaotic and didn't have a drive-thru.

My brother was a McD's manager for about 4 years during that time but they never allowed us to work together which was a wise move lol.
Quote:
je vais prendre deux cheeseburgers, par exemple, avec des frites, et un milkshake vanille.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Anybody work during McHappy Day? And the parade of local 'celebrities' that would 'work' for an hour in the kitchen, for a photo op? With no training, these celebrities were less useful than a bag of hammers.

The mayor would be there. Sometimes, NHL hockey players...and their wives (some of them had really hot wives ). Mitsou once ( ). The local mafia chieftain (behind his "front" as the President of a relatively large property development/infrastructure firm). Newscasters from CFCF-12 and CBC-6. Normand Braithwaite from CHUM. Terry diMonte from CHOM. Pauline Marois...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
As to your comment, it's true, as I mentioned earlier, the crew chiefs and entry-level managers were paid only marginally more than us rock-bottom plebeians, and that with much more responsibility. I was told more than once that "McDonald's Manager" was actually considered a substantial asset on one's resume.
Can't help but marvel at the astuteness of those who have pulled this off!

Imagine if I could employ some of the most qualified and competent lawyers for example, making great use of them on my fulltime payroll, while only paying them the legal minimum wage year after year, because they believe that the trade-off of having "This Person Worked For Lio45" on their resume is Solid Gold and thus a fair trade!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:03 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Can't help but marvel at the astuteness of those who have pulled this off!

Imagine if I could employ some of the most qualified and competent lawyers for example, making great use of them on my fulltime payroll, while only paying them the legal minimum wage year after year, because they believe that the trade-off of having "This Person Worked For Lio45" on their resume is Solid Gold and thus a fair trade!

I mean not quite as extreme but a lot of well respected consultants do the same thing. I knew quite a few very talented people who made peanuts at prestigious planning/design firms as "Assistant Planners" or similar junior positions yet did a massive amount of work. While their wage may have been verging on reasonable on paper, once you factor in hours worked it sometimes meant less than minimum! Generally with the promise that if you suffer through a few years of this you can either be promoted with a significant raise or leverage the experience elsewhere. Experiences in reality varied - some did well and others remain vary bitter to this day.

Somewhat on topic - A&W Canada is surprisingly decent for fast food, and is now ubiquitous across Canada. It's become my default road trip meal. Odd since A&W is complete garbage in the US (different parent company I assume).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:17 PM

A&W is #2 for me, if I'm grabbing a burger from a fast-food place my go-to will always be Harvey's

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Somewhat on topic - A&W Canada is surprisingly decent for fast food, and is now ubiquitous across Canada. It's become my default road trip meal. Odd since A&W is complete garbage in the US (different parent company I assume).
A&W has always been common on the prairies... a lot of bigger towns that haven't made it on McDonald's radar have a A&W.

They do have good burgers but they don't create a craving for me the way that McDonald's does, ha. The root beer really adds a certain something.

I can't remember the prairie town fast food chain tiers I set out before, but it's something like this:

The basics:
Subway (the most basic, typically part of a gas station)
Tim Hortons (or in some cases, Robins Donuts)
Dairy Queen
A&W
Domino's Pizza

Advanced:
KFC
McDonald's (always a big deal when a small town gets a McDonald's)
Bar Burrito, Qdoba or some other Chipotle knockoff
Burger King
Little Caesars

Elite:
Wendy's
Boston Pizza (it may have waiters, but it's basically fast food)
Popeyes
Pizza Hut (the pizza restaurant of aristocrats)
Freshii (demonstrates that your town has a large number of spendy, health-conscious women)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Interesting hierarchy.

I have a soft spot for Harvey's, which is not shared by my wife (although I have successfully converted my son), so usually it is A&W, and (much) more rarely, McDs.

Suddenly fast food is really quite expensive. Have you seen the ridiculous new menus at Subway? I am not paying $22 for a footlong combo from Subway. The new menu prices are absurd.

I also worked at Subway in downtown Vancouver for 4 months in 1994-95. Night shift, sole employee. Next door was a big nightclub. The asshole brigade would show up at 230am and test the limits of my patience. Always fun to physically remove drunken asswipes from your store, while being the only employee on duty.

A&W USA is a completely different company. Zero affiliation (the association was dissolved several decades ago).

Quote:
A&W is a fast food restaurant chain in Canada, franchised by A&W Food Services of Canada, Inc.[5] The chain was originally part of the U.S.-based A&W Restaurants chain; locations in Canada were sold to Unilever in 1972, and then bought by its management in 1995.[6] A&W restaurants in Canada no longer have any corporate connection to A&W operations outside of Canada.[7
wikipedia

Last edited by MolsonExport; Sep 6, 2023 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:57 PM
I am the law!

$22!?!

I was taken aback at the price the last time I was at Subway and it was like $12. It was a pretty good sandwich though. A value menu double cheeseburger at McD's was $1.79 at that time; a much better choice at preventing hangovers.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:13 PM

The best way to get deals on fast food today is to download the apps for places you eat at. They all have coupons that are only available through the app and often you earn points that can be used towards future orders. The coupons are usually pretty good too—I'll even download an app just to get a deal for a one-time order. I basically never buy fast food at full price anymore.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Two thoughts:

I'm embarrassed by the degree to which people here obsess over fast food outlets. And I've done it - I've had days in the Wendy's drive-through waiting for my Asiago Ranch Chicken Sandwich Combo, silently judging the dozens of other cars in line. "B'ys... there's no need." lol My fave international fast food is A&W. Their veggie burger is delicious. My fave local fast food is Ziggy's poutine - the fries are better than anywhere else - or fries, dressing and gravy from just about anywhere.

Taco Bell is, by any objective measure, more desired here than IKEA. People talk/post about it all the time. I genuinely don't get it. I wouldn't even go if it did open? We've a few great Mexican options already.

Second: I don't have a microwave in my house. I can't stand them, or the poor cuisine choices they enable me to make. If I have to reheat leftovers, I just put them on a burner on low heat, lid over the frying pan.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:33 PM

^ I don't often eat fast food but it is interesting to discuss, haha. I have lunch at Subway maybe once every week or two and that's about it. I guess when I'm on vacation with the family the kids want McDonald's so I end up getting pulled in there.

Funny to read about the NL take on Taco Bell... my impression is that Taco Bell is maybe one rung above places like White Castle in terms of super-low end fast food. Some years back when my wife and I were in the US we had lunch at a roadside Taco Bell in Minnesota and we marvelled at the fact that we both ate lunch for a fiver (combined) and still got a few cents change back

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:46 PM

Wendy's is generally my go to for burgers as I find they taste "simple" enough to not give me hour-later regret. I still eat at the other places but tend to feel worse.

Subway is the only very close AND "cheap" place for lunch where I work so I hit that once a week. Don't love it, generally but it also doesn't make me feel bad. And I've discovered the Stampede Brisket sandwich (I add jalapenos) which is pretty darn tasty. (And terrible for me)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:49 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Suddenly fast food is really quite expensive.
There's a local place near me that does amazing smashburgers on potato rolls baked in house. $9.5 tax in, which some people find expensive. That's only a dollar more than a quarter pounder at McDonald's.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

For me it's:

1) - A&W (at least 80% of the time)
2) - Arby's (curly fries!!!)
3) - Wendy's
4) - Burger King
5) - McDonald's (maybe 1-2x per year)
6) - Subway (decent enough, but expensive)
7) - Popeyes (recently opened, highly anticipated but ultimately disappointing)
8) - Harvey's NEVER (ate there once in Fredericton back in the 1970's and a horrifying experience which scarred me for life)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
For me it's:

1) - A&W (at least 80% of the time)
2) - Arby's (curly fries!!!)
3) - Wendy's
4) - Burger King
5) - McDonald's (maybe 1-2x per year)
6) - Subway (decent enough, but expensive)
7) - Popeyes (recently opened, highly anticipated but ultimately disappointing)
8) - Harvey's NEVER (ate there once in Fredericton back in the 1970's and a horrifying experience which scarred me for life)
Nice list. I find BK to be highly underrated. Flame grilled is awesome. McDonald's is disappointing every time. Five Guys is my #1 but might be too expensive for this comparison.

Fried chicken might need it's own list, it's a huge trend here in Vancouver, lots of asian franchises opening up. Popeye's is great though.

Subway you have to find app deals and coupons, then it's decent. I wish there were alternatives when I want something that feels a little more healthy though.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 5:20 PM

Best Canadian fast food chain I have been to is the "belle province" chain in Quebec. Awesome burgers and fries, good gyros. Some of the locations would even serve breakfast and free refills on coffee.

Out of the bigger chains I have to go with Burger king. A&W is really good too but they have gotten really expensive. Lots of good chains like 5 guys, fat burger etc etc but they're just too expensive. I stick to Burger king and whopper wednesdays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada