HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
And they will continue to shit in the streets, break into cars, have conversations with aliens at the top of their lungs, and assault people because the voices in their heads tell them to, due to that lack of access. They will also continue to succumb to violence at much higher rates than the general population because of that lack of access, considering that the mentally ill are, statistically, far more likely to be victims of violence rather than perpetrators.

Meanwhile, ever more mentally ill people -- especially veterans -- will continue to swell the homeless population because there is no mechanism in place to provide the mental healthcare and stabilization services that would have prevented their slide into homelessness in the first place.

Which is to say that the problem is bad as it is, and there is nothing in place to fix the problem, or prevent it from getting worse.

Which is to further say that in light of that situation, it's hardly the time to thump one's chest about how fantabulous healthcare is for the rich. I feel rather certain that the Kim family receives excellent healthcare in North Korea, for example, but that has as much worth to the average citizen there as shit on one's shoe. Likewise, to someone who is screaming into the sky before dropping to their knees and pounding their forehead against the curb repeatedly, something I once witnessed, it really doesn't matter if the Kardashians have the best noses money can buy.
Lets not pretend only the extreme rich have healthcare. I think like over 85-90% of Americans have coverage.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Two solutions:

1.) Bring back mental institutions that were done away with 30 years ago (as previously discussed). That's the best case scenario for many of these people. Not saying it's ideal, just the best case.

2.) Don't let these people shit and shoot up on the streets. We have a camping ban in Denver for a reason. We don't want our streets to start looking like what's been described on this thread. It's completely unacceptable to allow anyone to take a crap in public, or openly use illegal drugs. And the movement to normalize this by giving out needles is completely mind blowing to me......
We need mental hospitals yes, but that wont do us any good unless the Lanterman act is overturned and we can again involuntarily commit people to the hospitals for more than 72 hours. Right now, the only way a crazy person is taken off the streets is if they call and said they are going to either kill themselves or someone else and they are taken for no more than 3 days. Its a bullshit system.

Also, i guarantee you that the city of Denver will soon be sued by the ACLU if you really have a no camping ban. Its only a matter of time

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:58 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Lets not pretend only the extreme rich have healthcare. I think like over 85-90% of Americans have coverage.
11.3% of Americans, or approximately 36,804,100 people, lack healthcare coverage. It would likely be a safe bet that a considerable number of people who do have coverage, have poor coverage, or coverage that is so prohibitively expensive to use that they go without medical care whenever possible.

And for the record, no one is pretending that only the rich have healthcare. The point is that if you don't have access to healthcare, it doesn't matter what kind of care other people can get. What matters is that you yourself can't see the doctor you need...

...Which loops us right back around to the central point, which is that there is nothing in place to either help the mentally ill homeless, and nothing in place to prevent the mentally ill from becoming homeless.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
When the homeless start showing up in Pacific Heights and Beverly Hills, something will be done. Or are they already there? I read a few years ago that Bev. Hills shoos them away, using security guards. They aren't made to feel welcome, so they tend to leave. In the old days (pre 1960s) there used to be places called "flophouses" where people could spend less than a dollar to bed down for the night. There also, more recently, used to be lots of single room occupancy hotels (SROs) in DTLA and DTSF. Development and gentrification have removed most of these places, even in L.A.'s "skid row" and S.F''s "Tenderloin" and SoMa districts. So the homeless are on the streets. More shelters are needed. New York City does a better job of housing homeless than LA, SF or SD.
I was in the Golden Triangle a couple weekends ago. I don't remember seeing any homeless.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:09 PM

San Francisco seems on a slow descent into chaos and the sort of third world scene where the rich people live in impregnable homes watched over by paid security and dogs while the others run wild in the streets, victimizing each other.

And here is much of the reason why (along with the city's status as a sanctuary for alien criminals):

Quote:
Lenient court system weakens city’s attempts to combat property crime
Heather Knight Aug. 10, 2018 Updated: Aug. 10, 2018 11:34 a.m.

Everybody deserves a second chance. Third chances? Sometimes.

But one San Francisco Superior Court judge apparently believes in ninth chances. He indicated that this month he’ll release from jail one of the city’s most prolific auto burglars, a man with a lengthy rap sheet involving eight car burglaries, some of which turned violent.

In April, the grand jury indicted Deshawn Patton, 21, of San Bruno on 20 counts, including 11 felonies, related to eight car break-ins over the course of a year. Patton mostly targeted rental cars, stealing items from tourists visiting from as far away as China and Germany.

Four times, police caught Patton in the act, but he fled — on foot, in his own car while ramming a police car with officers inside or ramming a vehicle he’d just burglarized. In that third instance, he drove onto a sidewalk and toward police officers before speeding away.

On April 20, 2017, court records show, he ran a stop sign to escape police and hit a Nissan with such force it wrapped around a tree and was totaled. Patton didn’t stop to help the driver, who was knocked unconscious and hospitalized for four days with head and rib injuries.

Incredibly, this spree, which took place from April 2016 to May 2017, happened while Patton was on probation for a previous car break-in, to which he pleaded guilty in October 2015.

So, apparently, the judge believes in 10th chances.

But actually, court records show Patton is also on probation in San Mateo County for a felony residential burglary committed just last fall. So maybe the judge believes in 11th chances — I’ve lost count.

Patton kept getting picked up and kept posting bail. Twice last year, he failed to appear in court, including once in the hit-and-run case. So San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón opted to consolidate his charges, prosecuting them all at once to bring home their seriousness.

That happened as San Francisco experienced a surge in property crimes, including car break-ins. Property crimes spiked to an unprecedented level in 2017, up nearly 15 percent from 2016. Car break-ins contributed to much of the rise, with a record 31,322 reports of the crime last year . . . .

Patton agreed to plead guilty to most of the grand jury charges, and (the judge in his case) indicated he will put him on probation and release him, according to several people present in the courtroom that day.

The very forgiving judge I mentioned is Superior Court Judge Christopher Hite, who previously worked as an attorney in Public Defender Jeff Adachi’s office.

Hite is perhaps best known for flushing all 64,713 outstanding warrants issued in quality-of-life cases from January 2011 through October 2015, giving police no authority to detain people who skipped court appearances and rendering the citations meaningless. He did so as part of a court-wide consensus that fining poor people who can’t afford to pay is pointless . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-13145711.php

In San Francisco, what are known as "quality of life" crimes are the sorts of things this thread is about--defecating/peeing in public, camping on orm obstructing public sidewalks, shooting drugs on streetcorners, "aggressive panhandling" and on and on. So thanks to Judge Hite, almost 6 years worth of citations for such crimes went up in a puff of smoke instantly. There is no sanction for doing such things in San Francisco. The cops now just ignore it all because they know there's nothing they can do.

Luckily, I have guarded underground parking for my vehicles and live in a building with 2 security guards on duty 24/7. When I go out now I carry pepper spray and, when I can remember to bring it, a taser. Increasingly I have bandoned the public transit system I used to use all the time in favor of Uber/Lyft. The public here is on its own and knows it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
You're way nicer than I am. If I caught someone in my car or taking things out of my car I would slam them on the ground, at the very least. Obviously the homeless there think they can get away with it. One good thing(and I know a lot of people wont agree with me on here, but that's fine) about living in a state like Virginia is that I can carry at any time(and I do). A person never knows when I am walking my dog if they can rob me with zero issues or be killed. I like bad guys having to fear things like that.
I agree. And that really what carrying for protection entails. Obviously 99.9% will never kill but hey... wouldn't it suck to be in a situation where someone is threatening you and that safeguard isn't there? The whole psychological element plays a big role in it.

America as a whole is safe, but there is always the rung of society that chooses violence.

The only problem with the first thing is that street justice is frowned upon, especially in a city like SF! Kinda like that story where the tiger mailed three teens, and you actually had people defend the tiger.

Now in South America, you catch a guy robbing, and the whole damn community gets involved # liveleak. Especially in Brazil, where undercover cops save the day (modern day batmans if you ask me).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
11.3% of Americans, or approximately 36,804,100 people, lack healthcare coverage. It would likely be a safe bet that a considerable number of people who do have coverage, have poor coverage, or coverage that is so prohibitively expensive to use that they go without medical care whenever possible.

And for the record, no one is pretending that only the rich have healthcare. The point is that if you don't have access to healthcare, it doesn't matter what kind of care other people can get. What matters is that you yourself can't see the doctor you need...

...Which loops us right back around to the central point, which is that there is nothing in place to either help the mentally ill homeless, and nothing in place to prevent the mentally ill from becoming homeless.
Quote:
Welcome to Healthy San Francisco! An Innovative Health Access Program

Healthy San Francisco is a program designed to make health care services available and affordable to uninsured San Francisco residents. It is operated by the San Francisco Department of Public Health (DPH) . . . .

Healthy San Francisco (HSF) is a health care access program for uninsured adults ages 18 to 64 who reside in the City and County of San Francisco. It offers enrollment in a subsidized system of health care rather than covering the uninsured individual through a health insurance product. HSF provides many of its services through a network of established clinics in San Francisco that historically have served several different patient populations and neighborhoods.

The HSF program includes delivery system changes intended to improve both the quality of health care for HSF participants and efficiencies within the resource-constrained safety-net environment. HSF participants are required to choose one of the participating clinics as their point of first contact for all of their basic medical care. This approach of selecting and seeking care at a specific primary care medical home is expected to alter the experience for both the provider and the patient, change utilization patterns, and ultimately improve the quality of care and control costs by reducing non-emergent emergency department (ED) visits, potentially avoidable hospital admissions, system inefficiency, and redundancy.

The HSF program has now been operational for four years, and has attracted 95,580 unique enrollees from July 2007 through March 2011. HSF has enrolled an average of 2,100 new clients each month. As of March 2011, there were more than 54,500 enrollees in HSF. While almost all of the early enrollees were established patients within the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) or the San Francisco Community Clinic Consortium (SFCCC) systems, many of the recent HSF enrollees have had no prior contact with their chosen medical home. Because the network of clinics participating in HSF has a broad reach across the City, the population of HSF enrollees is ethnically and linguistically diverse . . . .
http://healthysanfrancisco.org

Quote:
Healthy San Francisco mandated large businesses to provide health insurance for their employees, or instead either pay into a citywide healthcare fund or contribute to employees' health savings accounts.

The Health Care Security Ordinance included a requirement that employers with more than 20 workers spend at least a minimum amount towards employee health coverage. The minimum payment for 2014 ranges from $1.63 to $2.44 per hour, depending on firm size; for-profit employers with fewer than 20 workers and non-profits with fewer than 50 workers are exempt. Employers can elect to satisfy this requirement by paying into Healthy San Francisco, in which case their workers may apply for the program.] As of early May 2008, over 700 employers had decided to participate in the program . . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_San_Francisco

Of all the cities in America, the Peoples' Republic of San Francisco probably does the most to ensure ALL its residents have health care. So it's hard to connect the sad state of public affairs to a lack of health care. In addition to mandating employers provide health insurance and running its own progam for the uninsured, San Francisco has one of the few remaining large public hospitals in the country (which just finished a rebuilding program costing about $800 million as I recall) and a network or neighborhood health cetners providing walk-in care on a "pay what you can afford" basis--including mental health services.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:42 PM

^^San Francisco General Hospital is the city's trauma center as well as the hospital that provides services to all its citizens inclduing the homeless on an "ability to pay" basis.

Quote:
The new building cost about $887 million to build, and will include roughly $130 million in equipment, furnishings and furniture, according to hospital officials. A big chunk of that — $75 million — came from Facebook CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg and wife Priscilla Chan, M.D., a physician at the facility.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...ral-tower.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...ew_in_2008.jpg

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:49 PM

Aside from one of the most comprehensive health care systems for its poor in the country, San Francisco specifically provides services to its addicts:

Quote:
City Hall hands out 4.45 million syringes each year, says report
By Adam Brinklow May 9, 2018, 11:57am PDT

. . . Most of the needles littering streets in downtown neighborhoods came by way of the city itself, as part of the Department of Public Health’s 25-year-old needle exchange program.

According to the paper, the city hands out millions of syringes each year but collects roughly 60 percent of them back . . . .

SF Director of Health Barbara Garcia estimated in 2016 that San Francisco has about 22,000 intravenous drug users, about one per every 38.49 residents based on a rough 2016 population of 846,816.

The city distributes approximately 400,000 syringes per month, about 18 per person, or one every one and a half to two days, between 4.45 to 4.8 million annually.

The reason the city does this is because in 2016 San Francisco had roughly 16,000 residents living with HIV and some 13,000 people with hepatitis C. The Center For Disease Control consistently reports that free needle programs significantly reduce transmission rates for blood-born diseases and that they’re cheaper than the additional public health costs from more infections.
Of the 400,000 or so monthly distributed needles, the city collects approximately 246,000 back on a monthly basis, and the Department of Public Works estimates about 12,640 it nets during monthly cleanups.

The Department of Public Health hopes that proposed safe injection sites will further reduce the number of discarded needles, estimating in 2016 that some 85 percent of the city’s injection drug users would utilize such services at least some of the time if available . . . .
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/5/9/17336...nge-numbers-sf

Recently it was seriously proposed that, besides free needles at the safe injection sites, the city needs to provide free heroin. After all, why encourage both illicit drug sales and the use of contaminated "tar" heroin when the city could hand out the clean, pure stuff and prevent all manner of infections as well as overdoses from heroin of uncertain potency.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
We need mental hospitals yes, but that wont do us any good unless the Lanterman act is overturned and we can again involuntarily commit people to the hospitals for more than 72 hours. Right now, the only way a crazy person is taken off the streets is if they call and said they are going to either kill themselves or someone else and they are taken for no more than 3 days. Its a bullshit system.

Also, i guarantee you that the city of Denver will soon be sued by the ACLU if you really have a no camping ban. Its only a matter of time
Oh don't worry, there's already a lawsuit well underway to overturn our ban - http://nlihc.org/article/field-denve...proceeds-trial

There's also an effort to put it up on the Denver ballot next year for the citizens to vote on it. I suspect it would be shot down hard by the residents as multiple attempts on the state level to overturn these bans have failed horribly as well.

If the police in San Fran truly don't have much incentive/authority to do much when they see this stuff happening, that is a pretty sad state of affairs....

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
If the police in San Fran truly don't have much incentive/authority to do much when they see this stuff happening, that is a pretty sad state of affairs....
Very sad.

A bit of good news:

Quote:
For mentally ill homeless patients, new center offers 54 beds and a dose of hope
Kevin Fagan March 5, 2018 Updated: March 5, 2018 2:54 p.m.

Few things are more appalling to anyone on San Francisco’s streets than being incoherently ranted at by agitated, psychologically unhinged homeless people. And few things are more appalling, somewhere deep inside those unfortunate human beings, than to be so trapped in the grip of mental illness that their self-awareness is destroyed.

On Monday, city officials plan to announce a major step toward rescuing those severely mentally ill homeless people from their afflictions — the opening this month of 54 new lockdown psychiatric beds at St. Mary’s Medical Center.

This will more than double the current number of beds in the city for mental patients who have been ordered by a judge into conservatorship, meaning they must involuntarily accept round-the-clock treatment because they are too ill to live on their own.

Mental health policy experts and city leaders including the late Mayor Ed Lee and current Mayor Mark Farrell have been pushing for the expansion for years . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...r-12727229.php

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Aside from one of the most comprehensive health care systems for its poor in the country, San Francisco specifically provides services to its addicts:

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/5/9/17336...nge-numbers-sf

Recently it was seriously proposed that, besides free needles at the safe injection sites, the city needs to provide free heroin. After all, why encourage both illicit drug sales and the use of contaminated "tar" heroin when the city could hand out the clean, pure stuff and prevent all manner of infections as well as overdoses from heroin of uncertain potency.
So wait.... the city only gets back 60% of the needles? Doesn't that just increase the chances of dirty needles spreading diseases around? You are essentially increasing the supply of needles, which increases the number of dirty needles when 40% of said needles aren't making it back.......

Again, this is where my head starts to explode. To me, proposing ordinances that allow homeless to camp in public, and providing programs that basically facilitate the use of illegal drugs in public is anything BUT a progressive idea. If we invested into mental facilities for addicts/unstable folks, you would start cutting down on people using on the streets real fast. Plus, we should be pushing hard for generic Truvada, which if taken daily, has a >95% prevention rate for HIV. These, to me, are the sort of progressive ideas we should be exploring to tackle these sorts of urban issues with homeless. Not giving out millions of needles a year to unstable drug users.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
we should be pushing hard for generic Truvada, which if taken daily, has a >95% prevention rate for HIV. These, to me, are the sort of progressive ideas we should be exploring to tackle these sorts of urban issues with homeless. Not giving out millions of needles a year to unstable drug users.
O ye of little faith in the Peoples' Republic:

Quote:
PEP is a 28-day course of treatment believed to be effective in preventing an infection with HIV. At (San Francisco) City Clinic, we offer expert evaluation within 72 hours of a possible exposure to HIV. It is important to come in as soon as possible after you think you have been exposed. You can call (415) 487-5538 to discuss your situation with a counselor before coming to the clinic for services. Once you arrive at the clinic, you will meet with a clinician who will evaluate whether PEP is appropriate for you and if so, will discuss which medications are used. You will also receive counseling from a trained PEP counselor, get tested for HIV and STDs, and receive a schedule for follow-up appointments at 1 month and 3 months. A full course of PEP is 28 days of medication . . . .

PrEP is a new HIV prevention method that involves HIV negative people taking anti-HIV medications daily to help prevent HIV infection. Several studies have shown that PrEP can reduce the risk of becoming HIV-infected when taken daily as part of a package of prevention services. The only drug that is currently approved for use as PrEP by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is Truvada, a medication commonly used to treat HIV positive individuals.

Is PrEP being offered at San Francisco City Clinic?
We encourage patients with health insurance to talk to their primary care providers about PrEP. For those who do not have health insurance or who are having trouble getting Truvada through their insurance, City Clinic may be able to assist in accessing it through our PrEP Navigation Services.

http://www.sfcityclinic.org/services/prep.asp

Recall (see above) almost everybody has insurance of some kind (including Healthy San Francisco) in SF.

To be fair, they may or may not be littering the city with needles, but San Francisco's efforts to cut the spread of HIV are working and the rate of new infection in the city is way down.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:49 PM

does the bay area also have a problem with illegal RVs? portland has had an explosion of derelict RVs over the last few years which definitely coincides with the camping ban being lifted, about 5000 last year, 4000 or so in 2016, but only 2,000 in 2014. word on the hobo circuit out east is west coast streets are open for business, and mostly with impunity. id reckon city leaders and their NON central city constituency are to blame.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
O ye of little faith in the Peoples' Republic:

http://www.sfcityclinic.org/services/prep.asp

Recall (see above) almost everybody has insurance of some kind (including Healthy San Francisco) in SF.

To be fair, they may or may not be littering the city with needles, but San Francisco's efforts to cut the spread of HIV are working and the rate of new infection in the city is way down.
Good to hear the city is engaging with it at some level. I specifically mentioned pushing for generic PrEP as Gilead Truvada is extremely expensive. So, with a generic version, it would make it much easier folks to take it without the financial strain associated with its costs.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Good to hear the city is engaging with it at some level. I specifically mentioned pushing for generic PrEP as Gilead Truvada is extremely expensive. So, with a generic version, it would make it much easier folks to take it without the financial strain associated with its costs.
I haven't kept up with the status of the Gilead patent but if Truvada is available as a generic, I'm sure it's in heavy use here. If it's still patented, the city can't ignore that.

If you aren't, you should be aware that since HIV/AIDS was first discovered, the San Francisco AIDS community has been at the forefront of disseminating information about the disease and its cutting edge treatment. Through its publication Beta--originally a pamphlet, now a web site-- the San Francisco AIDS Foundation has been at the front of the national effort to fight these diseases since the early 1980s. Trust me: If there's an effective preventive measure or treatment, it's well known in the SF at-risk community and in the city Health System and probably provided by the city on an "ability to pay" basis to those with no other access. And the AIDS ward at San Francisco General Hospital was an amazing oasis in the worst days of the epidemic (mid-late 1980s).

Here's the Beta article on Truvada PrEP: https://betablog.org/prep-scales-up-...ence-declines/

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:09 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
http://healthysanfrancisco.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_San_Francisco

Of all the cities in America, the Peoples' Republic of San Francisco probably does the most to ensure ALL its residents have health care.
I really appreciate that about The city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose Mercury News
San Francisco’s universal health care plan eyed as model for California
Tracy Seipel
UPDATED: April 3, 2017 at 7:32 am

SAN FRANCISCO — Maria Consuelo believes she’s alive today because of a groundbreaking program this left-leaning city created a decade ago – one that guarantees health coverage to every one of its 864,000 residents.

It’s made San Francisco the only place in the country where truly universal health coverage exists, similar to what’s available in every other developed nation. Called Healthy San Francisco, it offers health care to those who can’t afford private insurance and are ineligible for other government health programs.

In Consuelo’s case, she visited a government-funded clinic in the fall of 2015 and told a doctor she had pain in her pelvis. Tests later showed cancer in her ovaries, leading to successful surgery to remove them in January 2016...
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...or-california/

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
San Francisco seems on a slow descent into chaos and the sort of third world scene where the rich people live in impregnable homes watched over by paid security and dogs while the others run wild in the streets, victimizing each other.

And here is much of the reason why (along with the city's status as a sanctuary for alien criminals):

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-13145711.php

In San Francisco, what are known as "quality of life" crimes are the sorts of things this thread is about--defecating/peeing in public, camping on orm obstructing public sidewalks, shooting drugs on streetcorners, "aggressive panhandling" and on and on. So thanks to Judge Hite, almost 6 years worth of citations for such crimes went up in a puff of smoke instantly. There is no sanction for doing such things in San Francisco. The cops now just ignore it all because they know there's nothing they can do.

Luckily, I have guarded underground parking for my vehicles and live in a building with 2 security guards on duty 24/7. When I go out now I carry pepper spray and, when I can remember to bring it, a taser. Increasingly I have bandoned the public transit system I used to use all the time in favor of Uber/Lyft. The public here is on its own and knows it.
WTF, that guy (and the judge) should be in jail for the rest of their lives. Judge hite sounds like a complete buffoon

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
So wait.... the city only gets back 60% of the needles? Doesn't that just increase the chances of dirty needles spreading diseases around? You are essentially increasing the supply of needles, which increases the number of dirty needles when 40% of said needles aren't making it back.......

Again, this is where my head starts to explode. To me, proposing ordinances that allow homeless to camp in public, and providing programs that basically facilitate the use of illegal drugs in public is anything BUT a progressive idea. If we invested into mental facilities for addicts/unstable folks, you would start cutting down on people using on the streets real fast. Plus, we should be pushing hard for generic Truvada, which if taken daily, has a >95% prevention rate for HIV. These, to me, are the sort of progressive ideas we should be exploring to tackle these sorts of urban issues with homeless. Not giving out millions of needles a year to unstable drug users.
The only way i would be ok with free needles is if the patient turned themselves into a place where they would be locked up. Thats it. Providing free needles for the junkies too shoot up is incredibly stupid and adds to the problem of needles being discarded everywhere, cause you know, junkies arent exactly model citizens.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Jail is not the solution. We need to reopen the mental facilities that Ronald Reagan closed.

In the 2015 San Francisco Homeless Count, 55 percent of people experiencing chronic homelessness report they have emotional or psychiatric conditions.
Jail is the first step. Legally document their criminal behavior. Shitting in the streets in today's society should have a zero tolerance policy. You shit in the streets, you go to jail.

While in jail, you get free healthcare, medication and treatment. It's a great way to detox under supervision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions