HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
You're forgetting Episcopalian/Anglican. Basically mainline Protestants.
I dont know about the US, but in Canada Anglicans are theologically progressive or neoliberal versions of Catholics. The only theological difference is the Queen as a figurehead as opposed to the Pope and their openness to LGBT community. They are often known as "good time Catholics" and attract a lot of non observant ethnic catholics, lapsed catholics, as well as the LGBT community.
They have very little in common with mainstream or puritan Germanic protestants and I dont believe Anglicans have any roots in Martin Luther.
Ive toured an Anglican Churches in Montreal and Toronto and I could barely tell them apart from a Catholic church. They were very ornate and richly decorated.

Maybe it's a different story in the US, I dont know.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 11:04 PM

Re: Ontario, Kathleen Wynne, is a North Toronto WASP who was a bad fit for places like Vaughan. That probably made the swing to the Conservatives easier, especially when they had a leader like Doug Ford.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yup. Trump, technically, is an East Side Manhattan WASP. Kinda crazy.

WASPs would generally be Methodist or Presbyterian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
But then again he grew up in Queens, talks like an outer borough white New Yorker, and comes out of the more "rough and tumble" and "ethnic" dominated world of real estate development.
Does WASP imply Americans with "old stock" British American ancestry, with long-standing wealth in the US, or just anyone (or anyone "white" or of European descent) who assimilated into that culture?

Trump's grandparents were all immigrants or people who were born or lived in Europe, and his mom was born in Scotland, so technically his WASP connection is only one generation ago, and many "white ethnics" have been in NYC more generations than that.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Trump's grandparents were all immigrants or people who were born or lived in Europe, and his mom was born in Scotland, so technically his WASP connection is only one generation ago, and many "white ethnics" have been in NYC more generations than that.
Trump's lineage on his father's side is almost certainly Catholic, as the German area of his ancestors (the Rhineland, more or less) is solidly Catholic.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:25 PM

His paternal roots are in the Palatinate region, no?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I see. So is that why I hear very white teens chatting in colloquial Spanish with their Latino friends at bus stops? Or why one of the most in-demand language courses in San Francisco for white pre-schoolers and primary schoolers is Chinese?
Is that a melting pot or people simply being influenced by other cultures? When the very white teens get married have kids with their Latino friends or the white pre-schoolers grow up and marry Chinese then that is probably the melting pot. Otherwise. Salad bowl..despite who is speaking what...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:32 PM

It's important to remember that "melting pot" has a largely positive connotation in the US (isn't it wonderful to see all these groups contribute to American culture) but a negative one in Canada (i.e. immigrants feel coerced to assimilate etc.)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
His paternal roots are in the Palatinate region, no?
Yes, the modern-day state of Rheinland-Pfalz, in a town called Kallstadt. It's German wine country. The Heinz (ketchup) family is from the same town.

And I was wrong, Kallstadt is a Lutheran town. There are a few Lutheran towns in the southern Palatinate.

Likely church of his ancestors (in German):
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatorkirche_(Kallstadt)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:14 PM

Well the first wave of German immigrants to North America were Protestants from the Palatinate region. German Catholic immigration didn't really begin until the mid-19th century (the 1840s/1850s immigration was largely from Bavaria). Then the 1880s wave was more Protestant again and more from Prussia.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:16 PM
Dryer lint inspector

My Catholic German grandmother's folks came from the Potsdam area around mid 1800's.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 4:30 AM

Russian immigrants don't have a problem with Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric because they see themselves as "good" rather than "bad" immigrants:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...love-for-trump

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Russian immigrants don't have a problem with Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric because they see themselves as "good" rather than "bad" immigrants:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...love-for-trump
It's even stranger in that NYC "Russians" are very frequently, Russian Jews, Belorussians or Ukranians, none of which have much love for Russia. You see very few Russian flags in "Russian" NYC neighborhoods. Putin would not get much support in Brighton Beach.

But I think former Soviets are like Cubans. The old folks all vote Republican because they're perceived as anti-Communist, while the younger folks aren't dissimilar from other educated urban whites. I don't know any under-40 former Soviets who vote Rep.

There is definitely some psuedo-macho thing going on in some cultures. See the quote of the Soviet emigree preferring a "real man" as President, whatever that means. And many analysts believe Communism was an aberration for Eastern Europe, and its true path is fascism, not democracy. There has never really been democracy in this part of the world.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
There has never really been democracy in this part of the world.
Untrue. During the middle ages, the most democratic state in Europe was located in northern Russia.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 1:07 PM

From what I understand Russian Mennonites are more liberal in the US (they live mainly in Nebraska and Kansas) than those living in Canada (they have roots mainly in Manitoba).
This goes back to their early migrations from Prussia to Russia in the late 1700's and early 1800's, the Chortitza Colony was settled in 1789 and the Molotschna Colony in 1804. It was said that the Molotschna Colony was a better educated class and more receptive to outsiders. The Molotschna Colony moved primarily to the United States and the Chortitza Colony mainly to Canada.
Although Mennonites are viewed mainly as a religious group, there is an argument as to whether "Ethnic Mennonites" exist since the origin of various Mennonite groups are different. The Pennsylvania German Mennonites (they live mainly in Pennsylvania, with smaller populations in neighbouring states as well as Ontario) are of South German/Swiss heritage whereas Russian Mennonites are of North German/Dutch heritage. Plautdietsch, the language of the Russian Mennonites, is losing speakers annually in Canada and the United States although continues to be the main language of Mennonites in Mexico, Paraguay, Bolivia and other Latin American nations that have small populations. Mennonites in these Latin American countries represent the most conservative groups that came from Canada in the 1920's, and are mainly descendants of the Chortitza Colony.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
It's even stranger in that NYC "Russians" are very frequently, Russian Jews, Belorussians or Ukranians, none of which have much love for Russia.
Many Russian Jews have relatives in Israel and take a very hard-line, hawkish position.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I dont know about the US, but in Canada Anglicans are theologically progressive or neoliberal versions of Catholics. The only theological difference is the Queen as a figurehead as opposed to the Pope and their openness to LGBT community. They are often known as "good time Catholics" and attract a lot of non observant ethnic catholics, lapsed catholics, as well as the LGBT community.
They have very little in common with mainstream or puritan Germanic protestants and I dont believe Anglicans have any roots in Martin Luther.
Ive toured an Anglican Churches in Montreal and Toronto and I could barely tell them apart from a Catholic church. They were very ornate and richly decorated.

Maybe it's a different story in the US, I dont know.
Actually, in the US also, Episcopalians/Anglicans have been known to be progressive socially and I guess theologically as well. There's a well-known Episcopalian church in Pasadena, CA that is considered pretty liberal.

I think a really liberal Christian group are the Unitarian Universalists. Some people don't even consider them to be Christian. And, some of their members even cross over into Buddhism.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions