HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:49 PM

*Architectural Gems in Detroit Slated to Close*

Schools' history in peril
Architectural gems in Detroit slated to close

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Stained glass decorates Detroit's Guyton Elementary, built in 1923.

DETROIT -- Built when no expense was spared on city schools, the preschool room at Guyton Elementary on Detroit's east side has wood floors and a Pewabic-tiled fireplace.

Above the fireplace's wooden mantel is a hand-painted mural of children picnicking in a field. Down the hallway, decorative plaster lines the auditorium and a stained glass depiction of the school's first principal shines from the window. Outside, concrete gargoyles hover from the second floor.

Detroit children have been learning at Guyton since 1923. But the school, and about 23 others from the same opulent era, could be closed as a part of the Detroit district's unprecedented plan to shutter dozens of schools. The school board could vote on a final closure list as soon as Monday.

Besides concerns about how the closures will affect thousands of students and revitalization plans in pockets of the city, Detroiters and preservationists worry many of the historic schools will be pillaged by thieves once they are vacant. Or that they may even be demolished.

"They are beautiful architecturally, just amazing, very sophisticated," said Rita Walsh, a senior preservation planner based in the Boston area who has studied Michigan's school architecture.

"I am really concerned. To see so many being closed is distressing."

Locally, Preservation Wayne, an organization that works to save historic sites, is monitoring the closures closely. So is the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Midwest office.

Royce Yeater, Midwest director of the National Trust, hopes to meet with school officials to offer help. The group and local preservationists have worked with schools in Cleveland for several years to promote rehabilitation, rather than demolition, as that district goes through a massive building program.

"Nobody is suggesting we should keep schools open just because they are old," Yeater said. "But there are a lot of issues at stake."

School officials said they are sensitive to the concerns of preservationists. But they have the tough task of downsizing the district to keep it afloat. The closings will save an estimated $27 million a year. Detroit has lost more than 53,000 students in the past decade and at least 40 of the district's 232 active school buildings are less than 50 percent occupied.

"We have to make sure the district is solvent," said Mark Schrupp, the deputy chief of facilities. "Keeping buildings open that have a tremendous amount of empty space isn't feasible."

The district plans to lease vacant buildings once they are closed, but has also said selling or demolishing some are possibilities.

But it hasn't had much luck in the past finding tenants or buyers. An estimated 35 school buildings are vacant in the city and almost all have been burglarized, primarily by copper thieves.

Experts say there are options to help promote preservation.

The City Council could give a school a historic designation that can restrict development, prevent demolition and give developers a tax credit of up to 25 percent on rehabilitation costs. By law, school districts don't have to abide by the designation. But if the district sold a building to a private developer, the buyer would.

As of Wednesday, there were no petitions pending from residents or council members to grant a historic designation to any of the schools slated to close, city officials said, although advocates of several of the schools are interested in pursuing the designation.

Detroit should consider historic designations for some of the schools, said Roy Strickland, director of the master of urban design program at the University of Michigan.

"These are buildings worth preserving, even if they aren't used as schools," he said. "They are repositories of history."

Nationally, during the period roughly between the 1900s and 1930s, there was a large investment in public school buildings, Strickland said. Builders often used the best materials and it was common to see schools with fireplaces, high ceilings, stained glass, tile-lined hallways and murals.

"In that period, many school buildings were to represent the aspirations of their town," Strickland said. "Schools were really the center of the community."

Principal Donna Thornton of Cleveland Middle School would love to see her 1927-era school, and its classic touches, saved.

The huge, two-story building still has wood-trimmed hallways and decorative plaster surrounds the auditorium stage.

Built in 1927, Cleveland Middle School features classic details inside and out. If the school closes, it may face demolition or intrusion by thieves.

The wood-paneled library is a highlight, with its own cement fireplace. The wood mantel has a framed, handwritten proclamation from 1926 honoring Elizabeth Cleveland, a Detroit teacher for whom the school was named.

"It's not the typical, modern school," Thornton said. "Those schools seem more prison-like than educational."

Student Leah Nettles, 13, said the library is one of her favorite places to hang out.

"It feels comfortable here," Nettles said, as she typed a report on one of the library's computers.

Cleveland Middle School's wood-paneled library, where Devontae Long, left, 14, Principal Donna Thornton and Gregory Walton, 12, work, is a highlight.

...And the shrinking city saga continues...

I'd like to get some photos of these beautiful old schools, perhaps in the spring before they become abandoned, destroyed, dangerous heaps of junk.

Last edited by Michi; Mar 1, 2007 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 7:28 PM
Always A Classic

If the neighborhood weren't declining, it seems that Cleveland Middle School would make great lofts/apartments like a developer did to an old high school in Ypsilanti.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 8:09 PM
I am a typical

That city needs a miracle.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:06 PM

^I'd say a smidgen of human common sense would do wonders almost equivalent to a miracle.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:38 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Hate to say it, but I think DPS has long since passed the point-of-no-return in terms of significantly turn around shrinking enrollment. Common sense and simply competence may be enough to slow down the bleeding, but Detroiter's gave up on this component of the public sector long ago. Their faith and trust in the system is gone/shot, and it's going to take decades to earn that trust back, IMO. This isn't to say that DPS, at its smaller size, won't improve. I feel that it most definitely will. But, what we're going to see for the forseeable future is a public school system that may very well rank, in size, below the charter enrollment, and maybe even the private enrollment in the city.

I guess my only point is that the days of DPS being the undisputed top dog in primary education are long over.

Last edited by LMich; Mar 3, 2007 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 7:52 PM

I didn't mean common sense in terms of DPS, rather in terms of what it means to be "Detroit"...city/state/region/country. But yah, DPS is a lost cause. However, they are bringing in a new school board president from Missouri, so a breath of fresh air from outside the corruption could also sustain the failed entity.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 2:52 AM

It's amazing....my first job out of college was with a firm that primarily did schools, and believe me, even in the wealthy suburbs, every expense is spared in the construction of these things. Everything is designed to be as standard as possible....drab carpet, drab VCT tile, drab drop ceilings, drab fluorescent lights, etc. Many school districts wouldn't even allow bright-colored finishes, as they feared that would make kids excitable and difficult to control. Seriously. It's almost as though they WANTED the learning environment to resemble, as much as possible, prisons.

Anyways, it's too bad that that schools aren't built with that same ind of attention to detail anymore. Does it possibly reflect a change of values in our society? Hmmmmmm....

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 4:48 AM

Of course. That's the story of most of modern society with few exceptions.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 7:31 PM

Well, from my experiences, people have not valued community in this area of the country for many many generations now. Perhaps the reasons schools are built out of crap these days is because there is a preconceived understanding that the school is going to go to waste in 25-30 years when the next burgeoning school district the next suburb out is going to squash the competition.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 11:18 PM

Michi, it's not just this part of the country. In fact, it's about much of the world. The new schools they are building in Michigan, look little different from the inside than the new schools they've built in Nevad look little different...

Again, it's the tale of most of modern society. It's utility and functions far above any kind of aesthetics. I'd hate for people to try an even remotely paint this as "just a Detroit/Michigan/Midwest" thing. New school architecture, across the board, is pretty uniform. A lot of cheap, one-size-fits-all groupthink has been going on, and it has produced a lot of bland, primary school architecture.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 2:11 AM
A Texan in Oklahoma

what is going on in detroit

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 2:55 AM

I understand that, LMich. It just seems that we don't have any desire to do anything about it. I feel like our attitude is and will always be full speed ahead without looking back toward the river...and with no regrets. Other cities that are defined by their sprawl (particularly the new south and west) don't have the same nature of issue as old cities. And while most places have realized what the central city is to a region, we have yet to even get a clue on a statewide level (other than just talking happy talks like we "do" understand). Putting our money where our mouth is would open a whole new beast.

John: Detroit is a shrinking city. Seemingly more and more by choice. And by Detroit I don't just mean the city.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 5:13 AM

Is there a set date for Tiger Stadium being torn down? I heard it was this Spring.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 5:29 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath05 View Post
It's amazing....my first job out of college was with a firm that primarily did schools, and believe me, even in the wealthy suburbs, every expense is spared in the construction of these things. Everything is designed to be as standard as possible....drab carpet, drab VCT tile, drab drop ceilings, drab fluorescent lights, etc. Many school districts wouldn't even allow bright-colored finishes, as they feared that would make kids excitable and difficult to control. Seriously. It's almost as though they WANTED the learning environment to resemble, as much as possible, prisons.

Anyways, it's too bad that that schools aren't built with that same ind of attention to detail anymore. Does it possibly reflect a change of values in our society? Hmmmmmm....
I don't think that's universal. Seattle, Tacoma, and our suburbs are building or renovating a lot of very cool schools. In the core cities it's generally rehabs and the results vary from good to jaw-dropping (see Stadium High School at http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...5326108c.html) or http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=446756. New construction tends to be pretty cool also (Mount Tahoma High School at http://www.blrb.com/portfolio/tahoma.aspx).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Is there a set date for Tiger Stadium being torn down? I heard it was this Spring.
Yes, I think it was announced sometime in mid February that most of it would be coming down in a few months save for the parts they'll be saving to incorporate into the structures that are to rise around the field.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture