HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:15 PM
That's no excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
10909 Jasper - WSP Tower by Procura
It's no Rogers Place but still looking great. Hope the new panelling enhances. It was such an unsightly cornerstone to the government area.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:10 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Another shot of the WSP Place reclad:

(More)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 10:35 PM
Informative and convenien

A lot of these buildings are beautiful. Living in a building like this had never crossed my mind, until my mom moved in one, right on the Atlantic City boardwalk. She and her husband are so lucky, because every morning, they get to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic ocean, and get to watch the dolphins searching for food by the rock piles. It's so peaceful, to have a cup of coffee and see this each morning. Is there anything like this in your area?

~ Cambria

Last edited by cambria613; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 10:43 PM
Community Guy

Scotia Place towers in Edmonton are going from my beloved gold to boring sleek blue

https://mobile.twitter.com/GKentEJ

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 11:27 PM
Informative and convenien

Quote:
Scotia Place towers in Edmonton are going from my beloved gold to boring sleek blue

https://mobile.twitter.com/GKentEJ
I can see your dilemma there, but while the older style gives the buildings a more vintage look, I think the blue kind of helps make things brighter. What is it, that you don't like about the blue? Blue is a good color, because it gives a more sleek feeling, where as the gold, in my opinion, makes the building look older.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 4:32 AM
Community Guy

Not older, classic.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:19 PM

^ Scotia Place has a very unique and distinct look... too bad that it will now be another anonymous blue tower.

You just don't see this kind of architectural swagger much anymore these days:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 5:09 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Shot and stitched this one a while back, but only finally uploaded it now that the reclad has been announced and starting.

Scotia Gold by Dave Sutherland, on Flickr

I will certainly miss the gold, but totally understand it's not feasible to retain it.

ETA: here's a shot of a sample panel assembled above Jasper Ave:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:08 PM
Community Guy

I cry these days.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:45 PM

The gold does look good... and different than the typical blue/window tower seen everywhere. This one kinda looks like the Trump Tower in Vegas!

Maybe i'm uneducated or naive but why would it be so difficult to keep or maintain the gold?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The gold does look good... and different than the typical blue/window tower seen everywhere. This one kinda looks like the Trump Tower in Vegas!

Maybe i'm uneducated or naive but why would it be so difficult to keep or maintain the gold?
Funny you should mention Trump Tower, that's what I was thinking of too. NYC edition for me, which is obviously black but gold accents are a big part of the scheme. That kind of 80s swagger is what Scotia Place reminds me of.

I know the 80s were a long time ago, but in this case it has aged quite well. It's a beautiful complex.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:00 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The best thing I read so far on this from the Edmonton Construction thread (in reply to a comparison to Royal Bank Plaza):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor
it's not quite as simple as "what did they do right in toronto that wasn't done here".

firstly, toronto doesn't have the temperature swings that edmonton does nor does it have the same extremes from one side to the other that is very hard on curtainwall components and particularly on sealed glazing units.

secondly, the typical amount of "attic stock" taken in to inventory as part of the initial construction in order to replace failed or broken units will last a lot longer in toronto than in edmonton. once that stock has been depleted, replacement units need to be reordered and the subsequent lots are pretty much guaranteed not to be an identical match as the glass, the tints and the gases will never be exactly the same as the originals, never mind matching how the originals will have aged. gold glazing is one of the most susceptible to those variations being discernable.

lastly, gold tinted glass actually uses gold and while chosen primarily for how expensive it looks, it is expensive in fact and how expensive can vary a lot depending on the price of gold at the time. there are some manufacturers that no longer produce gold tinted glass because of the size of the investment it requires in their own inventory combined with the added security costs of managing that inventory.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:06 PM
I am the law!

Toronto doesn't have large temperature swings?

It is quite simple. RBC Plaza in Toronto has much more expensive glass and it will be replaced soon enough.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 11:03 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ How large, and how often though? Edmonton has been known to have swings of 20-30C in a 24 hour period, fairly often. It can easily swing 15C or more daily over a period of weeks.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 11:23 PM
I am the law!

double digit temperature swings are very common. Curtain wall panel replacement for 1980s glass towers happens frequently. I few have gone through a complete replacement while many others are a mosaic of different tints.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:59 AM

In Kitchener this 1925 building was recently fully renovated/expanded and the stucco facade was removed and replaced with brick and glass.

Old: https://goo.gl/maps/SecgdYmYNdy

New: https://goo.gl/maps/AAvD9HJyoPG2

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 4:19 PM
Urban Advocate

Sweet. Great little project!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 4:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
^ How large, and how often though? Edmonton has been known to have swings of 20-30C in a 24 hour period, fairly often. It can easily swing 15C or more daily over a period of weeks.
Didn't realize Edmonton had the type of temperature swings we do in Calgary. I wouldn't think yours would be as severe since you don't get chinooks.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
That's just nuts. We get decent swings in temperature over days here but they tend to be more gradual.

Vancouver on the other extreme doesn't even have 20-30 degree swings over an entire year!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 7:32 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Boo for losing the gold.

They better not change the color of Manulife's glass ever. E V E R !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada