HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:38 AM

I just noticed the other day that Wazubees on The Drive closed. Gack! I loved that place! One of the first places I frequented when I first moved here...it always seemed busy to me, I wonder why they tanked...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
I just noticed the other day that Wazubees on The Drive closed. Gack! I loved that place! One of the first places I frequented when I first moved here...it always seemed busy to me, I wonder why they tanked...
New management had no clue how to run the place/drove away long time staff the rest is history.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
New management had no clue how to run the place/drove away long time staff the rest is history.
Ah thanks. Too bad

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Aw, that's sad to hear. For me too, that was one of my first regular jaunts when I moved here, so definitely sad to hear it closed.
Wasn't it owned by Benny, who also owned (still owns?) Subeez? I wonder why he sold it (them?) ? They seemed to be major cash cows, as I've never seen either of them not busy.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:38 AM

Corner Suite Bistro at Robson & Thurlow is closing. Too bad, it had good food, Hopefully nobody here still has a Groupon for it!
http://scoutmagazine.ca/2011/01/04/s...istro-de-luxe/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:11 AM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Corner Suite Bistro at Robson & Thurlow is closing. Too bad, it had good food, Hopefully nobody here still has a Groupon for it!
They had a rough start thanks to some bureaucracy. Getting your appropriate licences roughly 3 or 4 months later than you anticipated can not help the budget.

Having to change the kitchen venting did not help.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 9:01 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
I still have a Groupon for it...

It's too bad. I quite liked the place! They had some great cocktails and I was definitely a fan of the cheese menu.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:37 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Someone else that had a Groupon for it claims they were able to get a refund by contacting Groupon directly. Doesn't hurt to try.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:41 PM

Voya (at the Loden Hotel) closed a couple of weeks ago.

According to their website http://voya-restaurant.com/, they'll be "transforming" into something new in the spring.

No real surprise. The food was good but it was a dark and uninviting place and bad location. The bar really sucked - way too small and overpriced.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Someone else that had a Groupon for it claims they were able to get a refund by contacting Groupon directly. Doesn't hurt to try.
I know someone as well who got a $25 credit with groupon upon Corner Suite's closure. You should definitely contact them.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:36 PM

From what i have read, groupon refunds are possible thru groupon.

If you have a gift certificate directly from corner suite though, you're SOL.
---
Shame about Voya, when they opened, they had some really interesting stuff, then them moved to typical hotel resto food over the past few months.
Agree that it is a challenging space (low ped traffic) for a restaurant. IMO, they will have to create a loyal clientele among the neighbourhood locals and businesses to survive.

Prestons at the nearby coast hotel is lowest-common-denominator stuff though, Catcus club without vision, if that's even possible.... ;-)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Prestons at the nearby coast hotel is lowest-common-denominator stuff though, Catcus club without vision, if that's even possible.... ;-)
As hard as it is to imagine that, I totally agree. Prestons is brutal. I'll take CC/Earles/Milestones over that crap anyday, and thats not saying too much.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Voya (at the Loden Hotel) closed a couple of weeks ago.

According to their website http://voya-restaurant.com/, they'll be "transforming" into something new in the spring.

No real surprise. The food was good but it was a dark and uninviting place and bad location. The bar really sucked - way too small and overpriced.
Really, you didn't like the room? I always thought it was nice modern, elegant space, and the food was very good, at least when they started off. But I agree the location was not good.

I wonder if they'll be selling off their dining room chairs...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:03 PM
ON3P Skis

Shame to hear about Corner Suite. Going to head there one more time tonight. Fantastic cocktails, good food too (service left a little something to be desired). Brutal location though. I have a feeling if they were on Hamilton or Mainland in Yaletown they would be doing quite well.

Nevermind, I thought it was closing, apparently it has already closed.

Last edited by wrenegade; Jan 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Shame to hear about Corner Suite. Going to head there one more time tonight. Fantastic cocktails, good food too (service left a little something to be desired). Brutal location though. I have a feeling if they were on Hamilton or Mainland in Yaletown they would be doing quite well.
I disagree with the location being 'difficult'. thurlow Guu 15 meteres north has always done amazing business and line ups often snake out the door. Piccolo Mondo operated for ~ 20 yrs at that location.

Any location really is possible if the food is good. It's sounds stupidly simple, but IMO it's about the food, and value for money. Aki Restaurant in the basement of the parkade at thurlow and alberni has been operating for > 15-20 years. Have you tried going to Phenom Penn on a dark winter mid-week evening? although it is midblock in chinatown after everything is closed, be prepared to line up.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 2:25 AM

wasn't corner suite opened by employees laid off or ventured off on their own to open it and didn't really have the right kind of experience to run their own place
i remember watching a video when they were setting up and they didn't seem that worried or phased that it was taking months and months to open

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:24 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Oops, apparently I was wrong and Delilah's didn't close down, it was temporarily renamed for a TV show or something.
http://www.delilahs.ca/DEL/welcome.html
The web site now says they're closed.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:42 AM

well, forever 21 is going in at robson galleria, since tsunami sushi is closing tonight. a shame, as IMO it was the best place for sushi in downtown vancouver - nicely prepared and proportioned, unlike the maxi-sized sushi-on-steroids that you see commonly.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
well, forever 21 is going in at robson galleria, since tsunami sushi is closing tonight. a shame, as IMO it was the best place for sushi in downtown vancouver - nicely prepared and proportioned, unlike the maxi-sized sushi-on-steroids that you see commonly.
did they still have that tacky boat river thing? ugh.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:54 AM
Vancouverite

Are they closing for good? Or are they going to move?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining