HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 10:20 PM

^I was thinking the same thing. Plus, the fact that they chose "exciting" as an adjective for a permeable paver is a telling sign that Unilock is more involved than just as a supplier.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
Registered

BWChicago, thanks for your contributions. You're always a wellspring of good and important information.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post

The whole digitization of Buckingham Fountain thing and new dancing water and crap, it just infuriates me. It's pretty hard to improve on Buckingham Fountain, aside from saving water (although the overspray to me is part of its charm), and I certainly didn't hear anyone complaining about it not being effective. It's also supposed to be a city landmark. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but I do so with great hesitation.

It's not just the overspray, but the earlier renovation had nothing to do with the pipes and mechanics.

Lets see it before we judge it. It might actually be quite nice.

Hopefully the landscaping and flow of pathways will be better also, which i think is part of the project.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 7:03 PM

the Eye and Ear Infirmary.

Coming down - Oct 13

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 7:24 PM
Registered

^ That section of terracotta alone would fetch probably more than $1000 if sold as art at a salvage shop.

Images of ornament from Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock house.
Photo from Boston College, http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fna...FLW_calif.html

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 7:36 PM
BANNED

sad...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ That section of terracotta alone would fetch probably more than $1000 if sold as art at a salvage shop.

Images of ornament from Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock house.
Photo from Boston College, http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fna...FLW_calif.html
http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/ Urban Remains is evidently starting salvage today.

Lynn Becker has just posted a great blog entry on the Beehive store. Apparently that terra cotta wasn't Sullivan at all. And it too was salvaged by Urban Remains. http://www.lynnbecker.com/repeat/beehive/beehive.htm

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
With all due respect to the conventional wisdom of aldermanic prerogative, in this instance Scott Waguespack has every reason to be skeptical of this project's integrity.

The developer behind the project, MCM, is notorious throughout Wicker Park/Bucktown for their pay-to-play development practices that have left a lot of parcels near North/Damen/Milwaukee laden with strip malls (some only 1/2 block from the Damen El stop). MCM also tried to collude with the previous alderhole, Ted Matlak, in rushing through plans to rip down some historic warehouses that are adjacent to the very tower that he now intends to convert into a hotel, all the while attempting to leave the local community groups out of the picture.

So while a hotel in Northwest Tower couldn't be a better re-use of the building, IMO, I have my doubts about how lightly MCM will tread on the historic building within which it is to be held. Alderman Waguespack's main objection to the project was that there wasn't enough information presented by MCM in order to make a responsible decision for the go-ahead. Considering MCM's history of duplicity when it comes to presenting development information to the community, I have to wonder why they aren't being entirely transparent about the project. However, I really want a hotel in the area, and there really couldn't be a better spot for it, so I suppose I am ambivalent at this point and I am simply hoping for the best.
This article is absolutely insane. $15 million INCLUDING the $5 million purchase price? This is not even remotely feasible.

I personally did a feasibility study for this building for a different party, also looking at the potential of putting a hotel in it.

We were looking at about $20 to $23 million for the design and construction alone, with an absolute bare minimum floor in the high eighteens if we could eschew the second stair and leave the elevators alone (wouldn't meet new code without refurb).

The building doesn't have an existing second stairwell and has no fire protection system, plus needs remediation. It was built with a single central core for plumbing, with only one small common bathroom per floor, shared by the offices. The building needs a fully new MEPFP system to go hotel, and the rooms as they are can't be reused to accommodate hotel rooms, because of the need for bathrooms.

$10 million won't buy this guy half the amount of work needed to make that building a hotel.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 7:17 PM

^That's not good news at all. Now I have more of a reason to assume that MCM is going to botch this job.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
This article is absolutely insane. $15 million INCLUDING the $5 million purchase price? This is not even remotely feasible.

I personally did a feasibility study for this building for a different party, also looking at the potential of putting a hotel in it.

We were looking at about $20 to $23 million for the design and construction alone, with an absolute bare minimum floor in the high eighteens if we could eschew the second stair and leave the elevators alone (wouldn't meet new code without refurb).

The building doesn't have an existing second stairwell and has no fire protection system, plus needs remediation. It was built with a single central core for plumbing, with only one small common bathroom per floor, shared by the offices. The building needs a fully new MEPFP system to go hotel, and the rooms as they are can't be reused to accommodate hotel rooms, because of the need for bathrooms.

$10 million won't buy this guy half the amount of work needed to make that building a hotel.
Really good info, aic and Jibba. It is tempting to assume aldercreatures have ill intent in opposing/supporting projects in their neighborhoods. Easy to forget that sometimes they are on the right side.

Not to say aldermanic prerogative is in any way a good thing...

Taft

Edit: any info on exactly how this project made it around the local alderman? Not procedurally, but from a political point of view. This thing must have been pushed by someone with some clout if they were able to get around the alderman....

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
Really good info, aic and Jibba. It is tempting to assume aldercreatures have ill intent in opposing/supporting projects in their neighborhoods. Easy to forget that sometimes they are on the right side.

Not to say aldermanic prerogative is in any way a good thing...

Taft

Edit: any info on exactly how this project made it around the local alderman? Not procedurally, but from a political point of view. This thing must have been pushed by someone with some clout if they were able to get around the alderman....
Actually, Taft, I'm not so sure it would have been that difficult a decision to rezone that building for hotel. The location and the building work nicely for that particular use, and as a tandem, remember the sell off of the MB Financial Bank across the street, that is intended to be renovated into more office space. MB is looking a doing a smaller branch in the general vicinity.

From a purely zoning standpoint, they are maintaining the bank presence, the usable amount of office space probably stays similar to what is actually in use now, and the area gains what would have to eventually be a boutique hotel that would help to reinforce the area as the chic shopping/historic/artsy district it is becoming.

I don't really see a whole lot of politics in that.

That notwithstanding, MCM is probably kidding a lot of people, including themselves, if they think that thing is going to fly for anywhere near $10 million. I don't find it to be particularly unreasonable that the Alderman would stand up against a project that has presented zero plans, zero information on proposed tenant (especially in this hotel market), and zero feasibility study, most particularly in a Landmarked building and a Landmarked district.

We're kind of talking common sense on that one, as opposed to Reilly's general "I just don't like it."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:51 AM

^^^Speaking of salvage.

All of us should think about was lies in Lake Michigan directly east of the University of Chicago in Hyde Park.

Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece Midway Gardens demolished in 1923.

Midway Gardens was a magnificent indoor/outdoor beer garden. It fell victim to Prohibition.

We should pool our money, or take scuba lessons.

Obviously some of the statuary (by Ianelli) was saved ; there's an example at the Biltmore in Arizona and in several suburbs of Chicago (usually in homes with a connection to the demolition company)

But most of the other ornament/brick work was dumped into Lake Michigan in 1923.

It's all there.......just waiting.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:11 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Not sure I've seen it posted, but this was the presentation shown for Congress Parkway in June 2008.

http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/p...ss_Parkway.pdf

Last edited by ChicagoChicago; Oct 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
^^^Speaking of salvage....(Eyes and Ears Infirmary)

All of us should think about was lies in Lake Michigan
directly east of the Midway in Hyde Park.

Midway Gardens....Frank Lloyd Wright....1914-1923

We should pool our money, or take scuba lessons.

Obviously some of the statuary (by Ianelli) was saved ; there's an
example at the Biltmore in Arizona.

But most of the other ornament/brick work
was dumped into Lake Michigan in 1923.

It's all there...just waiting.
What a masterpiece. Damn Great Depression!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:28 PM

even good 'ol frank didn't mind spires when appropriate...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 9:57 PM

Referring to Midway Gardens.

Prohibition went into affect Jan 16, 1920.
This was the nail in the coffin for FLW's masterpiece.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 1:13 AM
TL;DR

^^ Good point... are there any other architecturally-profound spaces in the city where I can get drunk and revel in the amazing design?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 10:50 AM

Riverwalk - Oct 27

East of Michigan Ave

The old wall exposed

tween State & Wabash

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 2:45 PM

CALENDAR NOTE: Raphael Dawson, partner at Walton Street Capital LLC, will hold forth on the company¹s plan to renovate the Old Post Office during a Friends of Downtown program Nov. 6. It will start at 12:15 p.m. at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington. Otherwise known as the "incredible hulk," the Old Post Office has been vacant since 1996.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
East of Michigan Ave

The old wall exposed

tween State & Wabash
......they are doing the under-bridge connections at Michigan and State....what about the under-bridge at Wabash ? ...is that part of this years plan ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development