HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:39 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Cant say Im a big fan of UC encroaching on the old mansions of Woodlawn Avenue. I like the renovations ...and am even okay with the closure of 58th, but I would much prefer to see them expand the South Campus instead of eating up Hyde Park block by block.
Well considering that U of C would rather repurpose and expand upon a beautiful existing building instead of tearing it down *cough* Northwestern Medical *cough*, they are already light years ahead in realizing the benefits of adaptive reuse and deserve praise for such a nice project.

Thanks spyguy.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Cant say Im a big fan of UC encroaching on the old mansions of Woodlawn Avenue. I like the renovations ...and am even okay with the closure of 58th, but I would much prefer to see them expand the South Campus instead of eating up Hyde Park block by block.
Well, this project is part of their southern expansion: the Theological Seminary (which previously occupied the main edifice depicted in the renderings) was moved to 60th and Dorchester near the new chiller plant.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well considering that U of C would rather repurpose and expand upon a beautiful existing building instead of tearing it down *cough* Northwestern Medical *cough*, they are already light years ahead in realizing the benefits of adaptive reuse and deserve praise for such a nice project.

Thanks spyguy.
Well I agree it's great they are keeping all those buildings and incorporating them. But it's not a pretty addition. It should technically disappear as much as possible. Be this neutral backdrop to other buildings and float in that courtyard. The stone cladding at the base with those chunky columns and that bright metal clash horribly. It will likely age much the same way people joke about cruddy 1970's additions to hundred year old buildings. Key word...disappear.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well I agree it's great they are keeping all those buildings and incorporating them. But it's not a pretty addition. It should technically disappear as much as possible. Be this neutral backdrop to other buildings and float in that courtyard. The stone cladding at the base with those chunky columns and that bright metal clash horribly. It will likely age much the same way people joke about cruddy 1970's additions to hundred year old buildings. Key word...disappear.
It's hard to tell from the rendering, but the east elevation appears to be all glass? So the addition will likely disappear from the view along Woodlawn. And, IMO, you're being too harsh on the facade facing (what seems to be?) that new interior courtyard. I doubt the metal will be bright/shiny, I'm pretty sure the base is brick (to match the seminary building), and I also think those are piers not columns (which makes a difference).

My biggest problem is the north elevation, but I guess it's facing an old garage or something?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
It's hard to tell from the rendering, but the east elevation appears to be all glass? So the addition will likely disappear from the view along Woodlawn. And, IMO, you're being too harsh on the facade facing (what seems to be?) that new interior courtyard. I doubt the metal will be bright/shiny, I'm pretty sure the base is brick (to match the seminary building), and I also think those are piers not columns (which makes a difference).

My biggest problem is the north elevation, but I guess it's facing an old garage or something?
I'm skeptical you'll see those crisp lines and edges, so I'm doubting it won't come out as nice as the rendering suggests. The base looks like stone...and it's very nice stone, but it's a foreign color and texture to that courtyard. I don't necessarily dislike the additon as a separate entity, I just think it's not well designed within the context. It should feel more light and airy IMO.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:39 PM
dream fast

A renegade photographer adventure gone bad?
Man Dies After Being Rescued From Smokestack On Mag Mile.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...k-on-mag-mile/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:59 PM

Damn that sucks. I hope it wasn't one of our members here (not that I wish it on anyone else).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:19 PM
BANNED

He found the perfect vantage point. What a shame..

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:28 PM

very sad - condolences to his family.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuman View Post
Anyone see this article today on Chicagorealestatedaily.com about Block 37??? The interesting part is the very last paragraph.

"A CIM affiliate recently spent $5.8 million to buy the rights to develop hundreds of new hotel rooms and residential units above Block 37, and the firm has sought permission from the city to revamp the signage on the exterior of the structure."

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...owner-of-fraud
That would be great, I didn't catch that!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:35 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Sorry Hayward, I totally disagree. I don't know if we're looking at the same renderings but to me, this is a 'pretty' addition in that it's simple, compact and doesn't feel the need to unnecessarily mimic the original building (which would be a worse interpretation, in my opinion). Ann Beha Architects know what they're doing..

Materiality aside (which I'll judge once it's completed), I think it works because it isn't an overpowering 4-6 story behemoth in the style of BIG, UN Studio, et al., and I think that simplicity helps it maintain a respectful distance from the buildings directly to the east, which btw, those are not single-family homes; one is a Nursery school, one is an IT facility and another is an outreach facility, all of them related to the University in one form or another if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I think a far greater issue is being ignored here: the fact that this newly created facility even exists, which I think can only strengthen the University's, the City's and even the entire region's status as a benchmark for collaborative economic philosophy for the 21st century and hopefully beyond (wow, the 22nd century is less than 88 years away - a little jolting when you stop to think about it )

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:41 PM
The City

We should all be celebrating the fact that this group of historic buildings will remain intact for generations to come with new life as a part of U of C. Their fate could easily have been sealed in a different, and more unfortunate manner.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
A renegade photographer adventure gone bad?
Man Dies After Being Rescued From Smokestack On Mag Mile.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...k-on-mag-mile/

Thats horrible. I feel sorry for the GF and his family. They did not say how he died, was it from the fall or the fumes? I know this sounds morbid but did they save the camara?

EDIT I did not read the whole story, forgot to scroll. The comment section is hideous.

Last edited by bnk; Dec 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Thats horrible. I feel sorry for the GF and his family. They did not say how he died, was it from the fall or the fumes? I know this sounds morbid but did they save the camara?
It said he died from injuries sustained from the fall. Probably internal bleeding.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
UofC opening in January
One of you cameramen has got to get down there and document this block full Nickel-style. As is being proven time and again these days, the surest way to rubble for old buildings is under the grindstone of university expansion. It's not possible to fight that kind of clout -- Prentice proves it.

I guess technically the most imminently doomed are on the east side of the block on the other side of Maryland, but I'm sure the university wants to use the land on Cottage Grove eventually, too. Reagan's home isn't the only worthy building here, though, of course.

The same goes for the Loyola business building destined for the NE corner of State and Pearson. Here lies a large scale queen anne apartment building along with two intricately detailed queen anne 3 flat neighbors on Pearson. A slice of old Chicago businesses remain in them -- truly a block worth saving. But their chances are at approximately negative 5 percent since it's university creep we're talking about here.

Anyone know about how to rally neighborhood groups to find a nearby landowner who wants to move those buildings to his land? Maybe Mr Driehaus could help? Pipe dream...

But there are many vacant lots in the area, why are these buildings those that must fall...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
It said he died from injuries sustained from the fall. Probably internal bleeding.
It also said the chimney had intense heat and the victim was badly burned. He was alive and on the phone with firefighters for almost 2 hours before they lost contact. This is extremely terrible that he suffered before he died. Imagine that. Just 2 feet away in complete darkness from plunging 42 stories, in extreme heat and injured from a fall.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxt22 View Post
One of you cameramen has got to get down there and document this block full Nickel-style. As is being proven time and again these days, the surest way to rubble for old buildings is under the grindstone of university expansion. It's not possible to fight that kind of clout -- Prentice proves it.

I guess technically the most imminently doomed are on the east side of the block on the other side of Maryland, but I'm sure the university wants to use the land on Cottage Grove eventually, too. Reagan's home isn't the only worthy building here, though, of course.

The same goes for the Loyola business building destined for the NE corner of State and Pearson. Here lies a large scale queen anne apartment building along with two intricately detailed queen anne 3 flat neighbors on Pearson. A slice of old Chicago businesses remain in them -- truly a block worth saving. But their chances are at approximately negative 5 percent since it's university creep we're talking about here.

Anyone know about how to rally neighborhood groups to find a nearby landowner who wants to move those buildings to his land? Maybe Mr Driehaus could help? Pipe dream...

But there are many vacant lots in the area, why are these buildings those that must fall...
That's a huge shame. Yeah I wish they could be moved as well but it's very expensive. It's actually much cheaper to deconstruct and rebuild them the same way in another location. Though deconstruction IMO should be pursued whenever possible and parts reused.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Sorry Hayward, I totally disagree. I don't know if we're looking at the same renderings but to me, this is a 'pretty' addition in that it's simple, compact and doesn't feel the need to unnecessarily mimic the original building (which would be a worse interpretation, in my opinion). Ann Beha Architects know what they're doing..

Materiality aside (which I'll judge once it's completed), I think it works because it isn't an overpowering 4-6 story behemoth in the style of BIG, UN Studio, et al., and I think that simplicity helps it maintain a respectful distance from the buildings directly to the east, which btw, those are not single-family homes; one is a Nursery school, one is an IT facility and another is an outreach facility, all of them related to the University in one form or another if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I think a far greater issue is being ignored here: the fact that this newly created facility even exists, which I think can only strengthen the University's, the City's and even the entire region's status as a benchmark for collaborative economic philosophy for the 21st century and hopefully beyond (wow, the 22nd century is less than 88 years away - a little jolting when you stop to think about it )
Boston firm Ann Beha Architects is the designer for this project. Most everything I have seen from them has been extremely well detailed. I'm definitely not too concerned about the outcome of this one.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew|W View Post
Boston firm Ann Beha Architects is the designer for this project. Most everything I have seen from them has been extremely well detailed. I'm definitely not too concerned about the outcome of this one.
Hmmmm. Yes nice stuff on their website. Haven't seen any of it up close in person, so I'll hold judgement until it's done.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 6:06 AM
pragmatist

Quote:
Cant say Im a big fan of UC encroaching on the old mansions of Woodlawn Avenue.
They've owned those houses for a really long time, but the Seminary Co-op was using the alley for loading. Move the seminary & co-op and voila, you can close the alley and create a quad from the block interior. I faintly remember that the ~2000 campus plan even proposed selling some of those houses. In the meantime, some sort of facade easement donation deal seems to have been worked out:
http://www.hydepark.org/historicpres...wnDistrict.htm

AFAIK, they haven't bought many more houses in Hyde Park, instead focusing on bigger parcels like Doctors Hospital and Harper Court. The SW Hyde Park blocks that are being assimilated into the Hospital-Borg have also been in university hands forever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development