HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Probably a number of reasons. Could be stolen cars, or just left there in order to be able to scavenge parts needed. I imagine the train tracks were chosen because they wouldn't be detected as quickly/easily.

No, that nice neat line of hulks along the tracks tells me they were placed there deliberately by someone/something. That is too organized to be a bunch of stolen cars seeking to avoid notice.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
No, that nice neat line of hulks along the tracks tells me they were placed there deliberately by someone/something. That is too organized to be a bunch of stolen cars seeking to avoid notice.
Well that’s all I’ve got. Maybe someone else here has some firsthand knowledge of the situation?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Shown on our old favourite atlas....
Haha....I think I use that old map for more stuff than I actually use google maps for sometimes. So I guess we can give "Props to Hops" eh?

Anyway, I'd be willing to put a paycheck (someone else's of course) on it that the building in question here is part of the original structure. If you look closely in the image of the bridge that you posted you can see the same notch out of the building as on Hopkin's map AND the building definitely looks long enough in the image you put up of all the cars along the railway. That's a great north looking view of the structure, eh? I think the building was built though sometime between 1877 and the time that Hopkins made his map in 1878. If you look at the image of the main station back on pg.53 when it first opened the building is not there but shows up later on his map....just a thought. Pretty neat how you can still see some of the old track in the image below.

Source: NS Archives - https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=666
Source: NS Archives - https://novascotia.ca/archives/maps/plate.asp?ID=22

It's funny that you and KeithP should make mention of all the cars alongside the track and well....just everywhere in general. It's a thought that's slowly been creeping in my head, especially with photos from the 50's, and 60's. I thought the same thing too Keith about the cars not looking overly old for the kind of shape they're in. I know nothing about bylaws but it's funny the city didn't have something in place for hauling them away.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:21 AM

Quote:
I also wasn't clear enough in my first response to you. I opined that (possibly some) could be stolen... or (not stolen) but driven/dumped there to strip useful parts and leave the carcass there to get hauled away by the city or CN for free (i.e. no cost to the person who dumped it there).

Why else would they be sitting there with many pieces of the cars missing? Could the long building be housing a scrap business?

I first thought you were referring to the cars in the Africville area, but seeing your comment about the '61 Pontiac I realized you were talking in the North St. Station area - those photos are undated, so might be later sixties. But I'm sure you remember back then it wasn't unusual for a 7 year old car to have major panel perforations. In other photos dated 1966, there are a couple of '59 Fords that look pretty ripe, body-wise.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
Haha....I think I use that old map for more stuff than I actually use google maps for sometimes. So I guess we can give "Props to Hops" eh?

Anyway, I'd be willing to put a paycheck (someone else's of course) on it that the building in question here is part of the original structure. If you look closely in the image of the bridge that you posted you can see the same notch out of the building as on Hopkin's map AND the building definitely looks long enough in the image you put up of all the cars along the railway. That's a great north looking view of the structure, eh? I think the building was built though sometime between 1877 and the time that Hopkins made his map in 1878. If you look at the image of the main station back on pg.53 when it first opened the building is not there but shows up later on his map....just a thought. Pretty neat how you can still see some of the old track in the image below.

Source: NS Archives - https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=666
Source: NS Archives - https://novascotia.ca/archives/maps/plate.asp?ID=22

It's funny that you and KeithP should make mention of all the cars alongside the track and well....just everywhere in general. It's a thought that's slowly been creeping in my head, especially with photos from the 50's, and 60's. I thought the same thing too Keith about the cars not looking overly old for the kind of shape they're in. I know nothing about bylaws but it's funny the city didn't have something in place for hauling them away.
Good observation on the notch. I think that confirms it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 2:04 PM

Regarding the abandoned car topic, if you scan the city council minutes from that time, it appears that the topic comes up regularly, leading me to believe that it wasn't uncommon for people to abandon their old cars once they became unrepairable, and the city would have them hauled away.

Here's just one excerpt from city council from April 1970. If you search you will find more.

Quote:
Council,
April 16, 1970
Question Alderman Meagher Re: Abandoned Cars Around the City
Alderman Meagher referred to the many abandoned cars on property around the City and he asked which City Department is responsible for having them removed. He referred specifically to an area opposite Ideal Aluminum.
The Building Inspector advised that it is the responsibility of his department under the unsightly premises section of the City Charter and said that his staff are working on the problem throughout the year. He said that
if the Aldermen are concerned with any particular area he would be glad to hear about it so that action can be started.
http://legacycontent.halifax.ca/arch...p0231-0260.pdf

Another one:
Quote:
April 13. 1972
Question - Alderman Sullivan Re: Abandoned Cars
Alderman Sullivan asked if the Building
Inspector's Department had any kind of campaign under way to cut down on the number of abandoned cars on vacants lots throughout the City. He said at a recent meeting of the Beautification Committee this matter caused some concern, particularly at this time of the year when the problem seemed more acute.
The City Solicitor said that no Municipality across the country had come up with the answer to this problem. At the present the only answer was to give the owner of the land notice to clean up his lot, and the City as owner of land was subject to the same treatment, sothat in cases where the owner of the car could not be traced the owner of the land where it was dumped had
the responsibility for removing the abandoned car.
Alderman Sullivan said he understood the Building Inspector's Department had men out covering the entire City each day. and he asked that these men report abandoned cars to their department rather than it being necessary for the Aldermen to receive calls on the matter.
http://legacycontent.halifax.ca/arch...p0129-0151.pdf

Link to archived city council minutes:

http://legacycontent.halifax.ca/arch...utes/index.php

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 2:19 PM

Even back then the municipal govt seemed to endorse the practice of making life difficult for the property owner in response to the irresponsible actions of other unknown individuals. Some things never change.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Even back then the municipal govt seemed to endorse the practice of making life difficult for the property owner in response to the irresponsible actions of other unknown individuals. Some things never change.
I have to agree Keith. I wonder if that's the reason why so many vehicles were left lying around - no property owners wanted to have to endure the expense of cleaning up someone else's ignorant mess.

A few posts back (#1059) you spoke of the cars being lined up along side the tracks deliberately. I wonder if that was just the railways placing them that way to avoid any kind of removal expenses while getting them safely out of the way of trains? I'm sure some of those vehicles in were dumped off by the owners with that mind set - to let someone else deal with the cleanup and disposal fees....especially if it was city or corporate owned land.

That was some insightful thinking OldDartmouthMark to check the minutes of city meetings....that's a resource that never even crossed my mind. So, I wonder then fellas what kind of plan the Building Inspector Dept. eventually put in place to start the cleanup? Would anyone remember seeing these cars being hauled away or maybe remember the city eventually taking on a cleaner look?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
I have to agree Keith. I wonder if that's the reason why so many vehicles were left lying around - no property owners wanted to have to endure the expense of cleaning up someone else's ignorant mess.

A few posts back (#1059) you spoke of the cars being lined up along side the tracks deliberately. I wonder if that was just the railways placing them that way to avoid any kind of removal expenses while getting them safely out of the way of trains? I'm sure some of those vehicles in were dumped off by the owners with that mind set - to let someone else deal with the cleanup and disposal fees....especially if it was city or corporate owned land.

That was some insightful thinking OldDartmouthMark to check the minutes of city meetings....that's a resource that never even crossed my mind. So, I wonder then fellas what kind of plan the Building Inspector Dept. eventually put in place to start the cleanup? Would anyone remember seeing these cars being hauled away or maybe remember the city eventually taking on a cleaner look?
I was a little young when all that happened, so I don't have any real input to add. I do recall a buddy scavenging parts off some old cars that had been left for dead under the Dartmouth side of the Macdonald Bridge, but don't recall whether that was actually part of a metal recycling business or not.

In today's context, it seems a little strange to just leave cars beside railway tracks or on random empty lots (which is why I posted them), but times were different then... a little looser, a little less controlled. It would be interesting to speak with somebody who remembers the way it was...

One aspect of "the old days" is that recycling and re-use wasn't the fashionable virtue signalling it has become today - it was a necessity. As I remember it, many people didn't have much in the line of financial resources available to them, so they learned to repair their own stuff (coupled with the fact that the old stuff was more serviceable by the average person) - these abandoned cars were a source of parts for those who couldn't afford to buy new parts, and would enable them to keep their old cars on the road longer. IMHO, people were way more resourceful and practical than they are today (again, they were different times - it's hard to imagine the world without the connectivity that is common today, but it did happen, and it was definitely different).

FWIW, if you search for "abandoned cars" on the council minutes page, a number of hits come up. I didn't read through many of them, due to lack of time, but there were some from the later 1970s that might yield the info you are wondering about.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
....(coupled with the fact that the old stuff was more serviceable by the average person)....
Isn't that the truth. You can barely get the oil filter off some vehicles these days without having to twist your arm 3 ways inside the engine bay just to reach it, haha. I've heard of some Mazda 3 owners actually having to take the bumper off just to change a bulb/replace a head lamp! Anyway....thanks for the info on those city minutes. I have a feeling that it was something that probably got contracted out to a towing company but I'm curious to have a look....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the truth. You can barely get the oil filter off some vehicles these days without having to twist your arm 3 ways inside the engine bay just to reach it, haha. I've heard of some Mazda 3 owners actually having to take the bumper off just to change a bulb/replace a head lamp! Anyway....thanks for the info on those city minutes. I have a feeling that it was something that probably got contracted out to a towing company but I'm curious to have a look....
I was actually thinking more of the way you need scanners and proprietary software to do most repairs on vehicles nowadays. Rather than physical switch tripping a relay to direct power to a component, now you have a physical switch (or a touch screen) sending data to a computer, which sends data to another computer, which then trips the relay to send power to a component. Much more complex than the days of being able to fix pretty much everything with some common hand tools, and maybe duct tape and bailing wire if you were desperate...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:03 PM

I'm doing a little project where I sketch around 20 buildings in Halifax that have been demolished (à la Raymond Biesinger). I have a few possibilities so far (Radio Canada building, Cleveland estate, Pentagon Building, etc.), but am looking for any and all suggestions for buildings that may be interesting to include. If there's another place on the site that might be more appropriate for me to post this, let me know!

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:33 PM

One suggestion would be the old Customs House, which occupied the lot at the bottom of George Street which is currently a parking lot for the Dominion Public Building. It was built approximately around 1900 and torn down in 1960, I think.

There don't seem to be a lot of good photos available, but here are a few.

The first couple mostly show the roof and clock tower. Note: this is not to be mistaken for the building that was next door, currently part of the art gallery.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...ves.asp?ID=657

Looking north towards the narrows , Custom House Clock in foreground, 1942

https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=244

You can see it next to the Dominion Public Building in this 1934 aerial shot of the downtown:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/eastc...hives.asp?ID=1

Here it is in the background from Lower Water Street:

From the Halifax Municipal Archives:
229 Lower Water St.
Retrieval code: 102-39-1-189
1957-10-18

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I was actually thinking more of the way you need scanners and proprietary software to do most repairs on vehicles nowadays.
Ahhhhhh ok, now I'm hearin' ya.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonite View Post
I'm doing a little project where I sketch around 20 buildings in Halifax that have been demolished (à la Raymond Biesinger).
Hey haligonite! Welcome to the forum...pretty new here myself. A few buildings come to mind so I'll just make a list.

The Royal Exhibition building on Tower Rd.
The North Street Rail Station (1877 to 1920)
The Academy of Music on Barrington St.
Capitol Theatre on Barrington St.
Andrew Downs "Glass House" at The Zoological Gardens
The Provincial Exhibition Building on Windsor St.
The Brunswick St. Firehouse
The Halifax City Market Building on Market St.
The Nova Scotia Cotton Manufacturing Mill on Robie St. (1882 to 1917)
School for the Deaf

OldDartmouthMarks suggestion for the Customs House is a good one as if you look closely at the base of the clock tower that's where the two 'NSCAD Lions' came from...kind of a neat story.

I think you can find all of these on the forums here but if for some reason you can't find a building I'd be more than happy to provide an image/link. I did a quick little search on some of Raymond Biesinger's work and this seems like a cool project. If you don't mind showing your work I'd love to see an image or two in that style when you're done.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:57 PM

Ya know, I don't think I've ever taken note of the Customs House from this angle before. Most images I've seen were of the clock tower itself or of the north and west facades. I had to do a double take when I first saw this, lol. Cool....I always thought it was a solid rectangular structure but the east facades are different lengths along Water St. Huh....well whadaya know? That dome in the middle is pretty neat, eh?

Source: NS Archives - https://novascotia.ca/archives/eastc...hives.asp?ID=1

Source: Google Maps - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-63.5726141

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:39 PM

There must be some good photos of it that exist somewhere, but I honestly haven't seen any yet, over and above what has already been posted here.

It sounds like the masonry started to deteriorate (see the wooden guard built over the sidewalk, presumably to keep people from being hit with falling stonework...), and that's likely why it was torn down. I really wish that they had decided to repair and maintain it, as it would have been a lovely building to keep around...

It is curious, though, why the building just west of it was kept, as it was actually an older building and I would imagine it had the same challenges of repair and maintenance facing it...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Sadly Halifax is a place where you can come up with a list of 20 landmark buildings that have been demolished relatively easily.

One building with interesting architecture and historical significance that is mostly forgotten about is the old Cunard building:

Some info here: http://parkscanadahistory.com/series/chs/9/chs9-3m.htm

I'm not really sure where it was or when it was demolished. It's a shame; these ironstone buildings were striking and fairly unique.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Hey haligonite! Welcome to the forum...pretty new here myself. A few buildings come to mind so I'll just make a list.

The Royal Exhibition building on Tower Rd.
The North Street Rail Station (1877 to 1920)
The Academy of Music on Barrington St.
Capitol Theatre on Barrington St.
Andrew Downs "Glass House" at The Zoological Gardens
The Provincial Exhibition Building on Windsor St.
The Brunswick St. Firehouse
The Halifax City Market Building on Market St.
The Nova Scotia Cotton Manufacturing Mill on Robie St. (1882 to 1917)
School for the Deaf

OldDartmouthMarks suggestion for the Customs House is a good one as if you look closely at the base of the clock tower that's where the two 'NSCAD Lions' came from...kind of a neat story.

I think you can find all of these on the forums here but if for some reason you can't find a building I'd be more than happy to provide an image/link. I did a quick little search on some of Raymond Biesinger's work and this seems like a cool project. If you don't mind showing your work I'd love to see an image or two in that style when you're done.
Those are great suggestions.

Another one I would add to the mix is the old Irving arch, which was located on Lower Water Street at the foot of Sackville.

From the Halifax Municipal Archives:

1593-1599 Lower Water St.
ca. 1970 (102-39-1-1361.10)

1649 Hollis St.
1960s? (102-39-1-939.2)

From the back side:
171-175 Lower Water St.
ca. 1957 (102-39-1-187.1)

You can see it at the very bottom of Sackville St.:
Halifax - [Sackville Street]
11 Apr. 1956 (CR 25-5)

At the very right of this photo:
Taken from [the] Main Post Office, 6th floor, looking south-east along Lower Water St. and the harbour and waterfront
Oct. 23, 1967 (102-16N-0016.52)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:42 PM

Arches, especially tall arches, are always interesting architectural features and IMO should be used in designs more often, especially when they open up a view. The Irving arch, while interesting, was part of a pretty unremarkable building which otherwise had little architectural merit in saving. The unfortunate part was that nothing that was constructed subsequently paid homage to it, despite those lands being under control of a public agency that could easily have made it a requirement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos