HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Baby is sleeping and wife is out with some friends, so I grabbed a beer (a Tibetan craft stout, if you're interested...pretty good!) and am watching a documentary on Amazon Prime called "Smart Cities." They're talking about redensifying cities and renewable energy, among other things (transportation, etc.). Pretty interesting. Check it out if you have time.
Thanks for the tip!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:13 AM

I just watched an emotional news conference from the City of Port Aransas. There are also videos of the damage starting to emerge. I'm only a yearly visitor so any fragment of loss I feel pales by comparison to what those poor people are suffering through right now. I know Kevin and perhaps others here have fond memories of Port A. vacations. I have been going there every year since the 80s and once considered buying property there. I know my way around that area almost as well as I know my own neighborhood and backyard. My heart goes out to those affected by Harvey, not just there but anywhere. Seeing the pictures is a kick in the gut. I was just there last June. Get well soon Port A.
At least 4 of the places I stay at are in this video.
https://youtu.be/vQrsaTd7-x4

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 29, 2017 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:01 AM
Meh

Yep. My dad first visited there in the 60s with his family when he was a little boy. My parents went there many times shortly after they were married and it was absolutely the go to place for our family vacations. It's heartbreaking. I feel really bad for Rockport, which really got it worse than Port Aransas did, and of course, Houston is just devastated, but I've got so many sentimental feelings for Port Aransas. It's the place I learned to fish and it's where I first saw the ocean and walked on the beach for the first time. I've been wearing my Port Aransas t-shirts the last few days thinking of the whole coast.

I know these places well. I know a lot of these places are just tourist traps, but I've visited that place and those shops so many times over the years. The one with the shark was the last place I visited when I was there back in January. I remember walking out the door that night at around 9 pm and being able to hear the surf down the street and wishing we could have stayed a little longer.

Photos of the damage.

https://www.facebook.com/felix.vbpro...18?pnref=story

Interviews with the people who stayed in Port A during the storm.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...y-12021678.php

One year that we went to Port Aransas around 1996 I believe, I had taken my bicycle with me. I had a sweet (still have it actually) 1988 GT Performer freestyle bike. We were camping in the little rv park just off the beach near the Horace Caldwell Pier We had only been there for maybe an hour. A man had pulled up saying that his dog was missing and he was asking if we'd seen it. Now, I've seen coyotes in that rv park before that I guess live in the dunes, and I was thinking about his dog. I had my bike with me, so I thought I'd ride around a bit to see if I could spot it. At some point, I had stopped and then taken off again. Well, I turned my handlebar too sharp and fell down to the left. I scraped the skin off between each knuckle on my left hand almost to the bone and the skin off my right thumb from top to bottom where my thumbprint would be, and I had a scrape on my left elbow and cheek. I got back on my bike and rode over to our rv. We then drove over to the ranger's station. I sat there drinking a coke feeling woozy while they cut my ring off one of my fingers and washed the asphalt out of my scrapes. The cutest nurse was there to help me. That made it better. haha Anyway, my parents asked if I wanted us to leave and go home. I was like, guys, we're here at the coast to have fun. I'm not gonna agree to go home and ruin y'all's trip. So we stayed for the weekend until Sunday night. So, of course, I couldn't fish or swim or enjoy the beach all that much besides walking on it, but still, just being there was good enough for me. I told them that I had already done it and that if we left and went home it would just mean that I'd be miserable there, but that at least here I could enjoy being at Port Aransas. So I spent most of the trip laying on the roof of our rv watching the ships come into the channel while my family fished. I had to soak my hands twice a day before my mom re-bandaged them. That was 20+ years ago and I still have the scars on my knuckles. There was no way I was going to agree to go home and miss out on being the coast.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

My family has also been making the Port A trip from Austin since the 50s and 60s. I don't go every year. It's actually been 2 or 3 since I've been, but it's still really said. I like Rockport, too. I've had some fun times on the Copano Bay pier. My parents have been thinking about getting property or a condo in Port A or on Mustang Island in Corpus Christi in the future. No telling what it'll look like now.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:27 AM

1996...that was around the time we were at a condo by the Mustang Towers and Port Royal, right next to 361 when we almost had to evacuate because of a hurricane. Man, those facebook pics just made me more sad. We were just in that souvenir store with the big shark a few months ago, just killing time. I'm wondering how the Trout Street grill, Castaways, Crazy Cajun, Snoopy's, to name a few, are holding up. Was that the IGA???
I'm guessing North Padre and Schlitterbaun fared much better just a few miles away. I haven't heard much about how that area fared, and 358 area north of the Causeway where Snoopy's is. My unfondest memory of Port A. was getting sucked out to sea in an under tow and almost drowning, or was it the time I found myself swimming with a shark? Best time, driving on the beach at sun down after an awesome seafood dinner in town.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:26 AM
Meh

The IGA is next to the Destination souvenir shop (the one with the shark). I didn't see any photos of it in that group, but since it's right across the street from it, I would imagine it took a beating. It doesn't have a lot of windows, though, and it's pretty low profile, so it may have done better. I did see one other one before the storm where they had it all boarded up. Trout Street made it through it ok. I'm not sure about the others. Supposedly the CVS pharmacy, which is right down Alister Street from those, was open for business on Sunday, but I just checked and their Google page says they're closed for the rest of the week. There's no power on the island, so I don't see how any business could be open unless they had a generator.

Anyway, I found a photo of me riding my GT in that RV park in Port Aransas. This one is from 1996, but I'm not sure if that was the trip where I wiped out or not.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Aug 29, 2017 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:14 PM

True about the IGA, low profile, imagine all the perishables going rotten... that was my stock up store, always crowded. Cool bike...ever find the dog?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 11:52 PM
Meh

I don't know if he found the dog or not. We never spotted the dog or the man again. I did always wonder about that.

And we definitely had at least one trip to the coast where there was some wild weather. One trip in the early 90s we stayed in our tent in the camp ground near the beach, and we totally got rained out. I don't even remember being hauled out of our tent. I'm guessing my dad carried us out. My aunt and uncle were with us in their pop-up camper, and I woke up in there in the middle of the night to the sound of wind and thunder and rain. When I woke up in the morning there was a good 6 inches of water in our camp site. I remember because the water was up to the axles on my aunt and uncle's pop-up camper. I remember it rained most of the morning and the weather was getting worse. We had to ring out our blankets and pillows that had been in our tent before they could be folded/rolled up and put in our Suburban. I remember, too, my dad swearing that he saw what looked like a funnel cloud off in the gulf, but I don't recall seeing it. I also remember the drive home was still very stormy and I remember a utility pole was either hit by lighting or else it arced along the highway, but that was a wild trip. I don't even know if it was a tropical system or not. That was the one trip I remember where the weather was really bad.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 1:12 AM

I lost a vehicle there from the storm surge from a Tropical Storm - in 1994 I believe. We were stuck on the island without a car for a few days and the causeway was closed due to high water. We had to take the trolly bus up to the IGA to get supplies to take back to our condo. I don't remember the storm's name, but it took a sudden easterly turn before coming ashore and hit the Florida Panhandle.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 1:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I lost a vehicle there from the storm surge from a Tropical Storm - in 1994 I believe. We were stuck on the island without a car for a few days and the causeway was closed due to high water. We had to take the trolly bus up to the IGA to get supplies to take back to our condo. I don't remember the storm's name, but it took a sudden easterly turn before coming ashore and hit the Florida Panhandle.
Josephine in '96?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropic...osephine_(1996)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:24 AM

The Sandcastle Condos have been our go to place off & on over the past 20 years. So sad, but the town will come back.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I guess it could have been '96, the storm track is similar to what I remember. We didn't even know there was a named storm out in the Gulf at the time despite the the rough seas. My vehicle got fairly well buried in the sand and soaked with salt water by a sudden increase in the wave action. The insurance examiner totaled it with no questions due to the weather because there was a named storm in the Gulf.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
I guess it could have been '96, the storm track is similar to what I remember. We didn't even know there was a named storm out in the Gulf at the time despite the the rough seas. My vehicle got fairly well buried in the sand and soaked with salt water by a sudden increase in the wave action. The insurance examiner totaled it with no questions due to the weather because there was a named storm in the Gulf.
It was 1996, I was there too. They must have closed the beaches after you got stuck. All the access roads were barricaded so we walked to the beach as close as we could. I remember the wind was very strong and the rain hurt where it hit our skin, but we didn't want to miss seeing the affects of the storm. We were told to be ready to evacuate but I believe the main part of the storm hit south of Corpus. Our condo, in front of Port Royal, had a huge wrap around balcony so we watched the storm from there. The wind was so strong, we saw a large barbeque go airborne. Sounds like a bunch of us were there that year.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
The Sandcastle Condos have been our go to place off & on over the past 20 years. So sad, but the town will come back.
Ours too, for the last few years. I like the place, great value, really slow and smelly elevators, great location, near two beach access roads and downtown. If you watch the video link I posted a few posts up, you can see it looks ok and surprisingly, the houses and boardwalk next to it. Not sure about the dumpy hotel next to it though.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:29 PM
Meh

Here's some video of Port Aransas showing more of the damage. It looks like the IGA made it through it ok. Castaways was still standing but had some damage. Some of the other buildings look pretty bad.

https://www.facebook.com/TomPastrano...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TomPastrano...46712512210454

More photos here.

https://www.facebook.com/TomPastrano...46883532193352

https://www.facebook.com/TomPastrano...46243132257392

Aransas Pass
https://www.facebook.com/TomPastrano...46813118867060

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 5:13 PM

I didn't see the IGA or Castaways in any of those posts, where did you see / hear about those? I did see some pics of Moby Dick's somewhere, that's a souvenir/ restaurant that at least from the front looks pretty bad. I guess we all are curious about our favorite places...the double wide trailer Subway we bought lunch for the beach for instance. The tattoo place I go to seems ok, Tattoo Addiction. I met a rich guy who owns the building I was getting my tat in, as well as the ice cream shop next door and many other buildings including a couple of those large souvenir stores, I imagine he will rebuild those. He loves Port A and has invested heavily there. Seems the worst of the damage was closer to the channel in the oldest part of town. I wish he got video further north.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I didn't see the IGA or Castaways in any of those posts, where did you see / hear about those? I did see some pics of Moby Dick's somewhere, that's a souvenir/ restaurant that at least from the front looks pretty bad. I guess we all are curious about our favorite places...the double wide trailer Subway we bought lunch for the beach for instance. The tattoo place I go to seems ok, Tattoo Addiction. I met a rich guy who owns the building I was getting my tat in, as well as the ice cream shop next door and many other buildings including a couple of those large souvenir stores, I imagine he will rebuild those. He loves Port A and has invested heavily there. Seems the worst of the damage was closer to the channel in the oldest part of town. I wish he got video further north.
if he is smart, he'll buy up everything and rebuild it all.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/18/us...ed=all&mcubz=0

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:29 PM

Every gas station I've been by this afternoon is either out of gas or giant disorganized traffic mess. It appears the possibility of no gas created a growing hysteria during the day, and when everyone got off work they went to a gas station.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Every gas station I've been by this afternoon is either out of gas or giant disorganized traffic mess. It appears the possibility of no gas created a growing hysteria during the day, and when everyone got off work they went to a gas station.
Times like this makes me glad that I don't have a car anymore.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
If everyone would only fill up when they needed to there wouldn't be an issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin