HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:32 PM

The whole process of the local and state governments bending over backwards for a private entity is nauseating, jobs or not.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:39 PM

If Amazon were hypothetically to move here and construct a +50 floor office tower downtown, not saying that either of these possibilities are super likely, which lot or general area would you like to such a tower constructed? My vote would be for the lot at 17th and Welton.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Amazon HQ2:

For what's it worth, Denver makes the "cut" of Top 20 (!!!) Cities.

Weird process. Why cut to 20 cities? That's like the Broncos reviewing all options at QB and saying they are down to their final 20. So what? (Though any cities that thought they were a serious candidate and didn't make the Top 20 have to be bummed).

Anyways, wake us up when there's real news.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...118-story.html
I think this announcement was sped up when Apple surprised everyone with thier own new campus announcement yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:19 PM

If they do come here, my vote is either a sprawled out campus down by Elitch's /Pepsi or a dense cluster of towers near the sea of parking lots at 19th/broadway. Yes, they could always go down to DTC or out by Interlocken in Broomfield. However, it would seem to go against Amazon's culture to have a sprawled out campus in the burbs.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:39 PM

I think that the 19th/Broadway area would be pretty ideal. It is a block away from the light rail and those lots are right in the heart of the Central Business District. Towers in that area would create a lot of density being so close to the Cash Register building, Republic Plaza, and 1801 California.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:56 PM

My guess is that Amazon will pick Washington for its HQ2 because 2 of its 20 finalists are in the DC metro area. I like the idea of them spreading it’s additional headquarters over 2-3 cities. Spreading the wealth without causing as much of negative impact on any one city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
My guess is that Amazon will pick Washington for its HQ2 because 2 of its 20 finalists are in the DC metro area. I like the idea of them spreading it’s additional headquarters over 2-3 cities. Spreading the wealth without causing as much of negative impact on any one city.
3 of the finalists actually. DC, NoVa, and Montgomery County MD (where Bethesda and Rockville are).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
Washington DC or Boston for HQ2. Denver for a Mountain West regional satellite office with ~5k employees is fine with me. Where does Apple end up going? Will Google do the same thing and if so do we have a better chance with the existing Boulder office?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:39 PM

How much presence does Amazon currently have in Denver?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:33 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
How much presence does Amazon currently have in Denver?
They have a giant facility in Aurora at the moment.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
They have a giant facility in Aurora at the moment.
They are also building the huge facility in Thornton. Plus they have engineers and IT folks in Broomfield, at the WeWorks downtown, and DTC. Not sure of the total numbers.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:49 AM
Up Up and Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
My thoughts, exactly...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:09 AM

I've only been here 2.5 years, but isn't this a bit different than what happened with Boeing? For starters Denver was a much different city back then and didn't have half the transit and urban amenities it has now. Plus, there wasn't a consolidated bid like we have this go around.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
If they do come here, my vote is either a sprawled out campus down by Elitch's /Pepsi or a dense cluster of towers near the sea of parking lots at 19th/broadway. Yes, they could always go down to DTC or out by Interlocken in Broomfield. However, it would seem to go against Amazon's culture to have a sprawled out campus in the burbs.
I like the Elitch's / Pepsi Center location because of the proximity to Auraria campus. I could see the two entities eventually developing a close relationship.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:37 AM

1455 Logan Street
Address: 1445 & 1455 Logan St
Log Number: 2017PM0000555
Submitted Date: 12/28/2017
Proposed Use: Dwelling, Multi-Unit
Proposed Stories: 6
Number of Units: 206

Anyone know anything about this project? Its got to be one of the roughest blocks in town -- good to see some investment going in.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
1455 Logan Street

Anyone know anything about this project? Its got to be one of the roughest blocks in town -- good to see some investment going in.
Interesting, I've always thought the parking lot on Grant would make a good location for a residential midrise overlooking the Capitol Building and downtown, but you're right that is a rough block. Really that whole swath of Colfax from Broadway to Pennsylvania is sketchy and downright dangerous at night.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
It does have brick, which is nice considering it's a self storage building. But I assume you're referring to the one on Park and Wewatta ramp. There is no Walnut street viaduct
Ahh thanks Curtis Park!! I hope to make it back to Denver hopefully sometime this year-I'd really like to meet up with the Denver forumers if some of you guys wanna grab a beer & grub and chat about Denver stuff.

Last edited by CastleScott; Jan 19, 2018 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I've always thought the parking lot on Grant would make a good location for a residential midrise overlooking the Capitol Building and downtown, but you're right that is a rough block. Really that whole swath of Colfax from Broadway to Pennsylvania is sketchy and downright dangerous at night.
This is interesting too as I once worked in the cash register and if I didn't RTD it in I'd sometimes park over towards the capitol and I remember that block quite well. Btw when I was a student at Metro State I worked as a Legislative Aid for 3 sessions back in the mid 80s-that block had dicey characters back then and yes you had to stay away from that area after dark.

Just off subject-you guys should be getting some much needed wet weather from good ole Sacramento and northern Cali-today we've got a treat that we haven't seen in almost 9 days-the sun!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
1455 Logan Street

This is exciting. I walk down this street on a daily basis, and I always thought it such a shame that the Capitol building faces a whole-block-width surface parking lot.

I don't think of this part of Capitol Hill as being that rough, really. There's characters, but mostly it's just senior citizens taking smoke breaks outside the old Olin Hotel building. I've only been in Denver for a few years, but even in that time, the whole area immediately surrounding the capitol has gone way upmarket: cigarette stores turning into high-end restaurants, that sort of thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West