HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:33 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Not according to this map:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...5745&z=14&om=1

It looks to be almost a 1 km walk.
I was sort of joking but yes it is about 2 times the distance in all honesty.....which still is very close.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I was sort of joking but yes it is about 2 times the distance in all honesty.....which still is very close.
It's about as far from King George Stn. as KGS is from Surrey Central. So they could have just run it one more station south.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:47 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Delete

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:49 PM
loafing in lotusland

But KGS and Surrey Central are too close together now. In reality, King George Station should've been situated a little closer to SMH, rather than build another station.

Regarding Falcon saying the UBC extension is going under Broadway (as opposed to 10th): Don't pay much attention to that.

To the average Joe, it serves two purposes:
  1. The average Joe would wonder: Why build it under 10th? What's on 10th? We want it down Broadway!!!
  2. It gives them a "political" way to minimize impact.

Under Broadway = Under 10th. The station entrances will be on Broadway if it's on 10th anyway. It's just easier for people to understand.

Another thing. Imagine the announcement: "We've done studies and decided that in order to minimize impact on the businesses on Broadway and to save your tax money, we've heard your cries! We will be building under 10th, where there aren't as many businesses, and we will have perfect sloping entrances from Broadway which are accessible and pleasant."

In reality, of course, the utilities under Broadway preclude any other solution, but by not directly announcing the route, it gives politicians a way to appease people.

It's no different than including the Canada Line, and a few of the Rapid Bus Routes in the 14$ billion.

So, when you hear, we'll build it along/under broadway... it likely means under 10th. I wouldn't read anything else into it.

I, too, am more curious about the Expo Line extensions... $3.1 Billion!!! I can see $1 Billion for the Extension (it's elevated), $100 Million for 50 more trainsets.... ($2 Million each?) that leaves $2 Billion for station upgrades. 2 underground, 16 above ground, 2 at grade. $100 Million per station. That's seems like a lot... unless they're thinking of increasing the capacity of the M-Line while they're at it. It would make sense. In addition, given that underground stations are MUCH more difficult to make longer, make the UBC extension platforms 120m to start.

Last edited by twoNeurons; Jan 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Calculation Error

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:58 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
The North Shore should also have gotten something out of it, like a B-Line that combines the present 239 and 130 routes that connect Park Royal, Lonsdale Quay, Phibbs Exchange, PNE, Brentwood, BCIT and Metrotown.

The Gaglardi-Hastings BRT should be extended across the Lions Gate to Park Royal.
Exactly... and I am pretty sure (even though I'm not a bus rider around North Shore) is that they would probably use it too. I heard many people complain about the lack of buses from North Shore to Suburbs and East Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
I, too, am more curious about the Expo Line extensions... $3.1 Billion!!! I can see $1 Billion for the Extension (it's elevated), $100 Million for 50 more trainsets.... ($2 Million each?) that leaves $2 Billion for station upgrades. 2 underground, 16 above ground, 2 at grade. $100 Million per station. That's seems like a lot... unless they're thinking of increasing the capacity of the M-Line while they're at it. It would make sense. In addition, given that underground stations are MUCH more difficult to make longer, make the UBC extension platforms 120m to start.
I doubt the Surrey extension would cost $1 billion...it's only 6 kms. I'd say $600-800 million.

i doubt any of the Expo's $3.1 billion budget is allocated to buy additional cars. That's what the $1 billion rail car budget is for, which should get us about 300 Mark II CARS. And this plan does not include upgrades for the Millennium Line.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:59 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
i guess this pretty much kills any of our opposition to Gateway....
Not for me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:36 PM

Major speculation ahead using pulled-out of thin air numbers.

I think that the upgrades to the Expo Line will eat up a hell of a lot more money than some think. Say each Expo Line station gets a $50 million structural upgrade to extend the platforms, double-elevator the core, new lighting, and don't forget fare gates. This is a very generous doubling of the major station renovations on the books for Main Street, Broadway, and Metrotown at about $25 million a pop.

There are 20 Expo Line stations. Some would clearly be more costly to upgrade, namely Waterfront, Burrard, Granville, Stadium, and Columbia. Triple the $50 million figure for those five up to $150 million a pop. That gives us a running total of $750 million for the easy 15 stations and another $750 million for the hard five for a total of $1.5 billion. That leaves $1.6 billion. I think the track work will cost somewhere in the ball park of $500 million (again out of thin air, fun isn't it? Almost like being in government). That remaining $1.1 billion buys the extension and new stations in Surrey, all built to the new standards of 100+ metre platforms, fare gates, accessible, etc.

The bottom line is that we have no idea how that $3.1 billion for Expo Line upgrades will be spent, if that figure ever fully materializes. There will need to be a new OMC yard to handle the many, many dozen new Mk2 trains, new staff, possibly a new operations control suite, who knows, maybe even a reopening of the Bombardier factory in Burnaby. Maybe sections of the Expo Line will be triple tracked to allow express service, bypassing the "flyover stations" between Columbia and Metrotown. Maybe they will do an outright tear-down of some of the current stations and build them anew as part of mixed-use projects. We can be sure that every possible cost will be aggregated into that ballpark figure.

We can also be sure that this will all be done in phases and through P3s. I would not be surprised if a major P3 was cobbled together with the promise of an operating contract for all of metro Vancouver's rapid transit a la The Canada Line. I just hope we can test drive that concession agreement for a while before any final decisions are made.

Lastly, we've been discussing what will happen to the Canada Line when it gets full, and my hunch is the reintroduction of the 98 B-Line along Granville with a Marine Drive station southern terminus and a Burrard Station northern terminus or maybe it would continue on to West Van and Horseshoe Bay and maybe, maybe, all the way to Squamish. Another plausible option to alleviate crowding on the Canada Line would be an extension of the Downtown Vancouver Streetcar up along the Arbutus corridor and along the CPR tracks into New West through the East Fraser Lands precinct, meeting up with the major Canada Line Marine Drive stn on the way.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:41 PM
Site 8 Lives

Media Release | Jan. 14, 2008
UBC Welcomes Transit Announcement

UBC welcomes the provincial government announcement today of a $14 billion province-wide transit investment to include $2.8 billion for the UBC Line in addition to increased bus service.

"Congratulations to the Premier and his colleagues on their leadership to improve transit service and address climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions," said Prof. Stephen Toope, President of UBC. "With UBC's Vancouver campus the second largest transit destination in the region, this investment helps us continue our shift from being a car-oriented campus to a transit-centred one. We are also pleased that RapidBus service will be expanded to Kelowna, thus providing sustainable choices for our UBC Okanagan community."

When the new line arrives at UBC in the proposed date of 2020, it will provide a complete transit hub for UBC's Vancouver campus, Toope said. The hub will then be composed of the proposed rapid transit line, a bus terminal that will continue to service the very significant bus travel from parts of the region not served by the rapid transit line, and a shuttle bus to address more local transit movements. The below-grade new bus terminal that UBC and TransLink are building is sized to fit with the development of the new rapid transit service.

UBC will work closely with TransLink and others to plan the UBC Line and ensure that a new station integrates with the new University Boulevard neighbourhood that marks the entrance to the Vancouver campus, Toope said.

There are currently 54,000 daily transit trips to and from UBC. This is almost half of all trips to and from UBC, and transit is the single most popular mode of travel to the Vancouver campus. Students have been a driving force in improving transit use through their adoption of the U-Pass in 2003.

- 30 -

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Mark I trains don't have to be in pairs of two, it's the Mark II's that need to be.

I believe officedweller said the platforms were expandable to 8-car Mark I, which is 96 metres.
The MKIs are still in "married pairs" - they cannot be separated. It may have to do with the motors or electrical systems.

Yeah, way back in the 80s when the Expo Line was built, they said it could be expanded to fit 8-car MKI trains. The guideway splits far enough away from centre platform stations to easily insert additional platform length.
@ Waterfront Station it isn't really underground (it's below the viaducts) so extending the platform there shouldn't be a problem.
@ Stadium, you'd extend it to the east. That would allow stairs down to the GM Place side of Expo Boulevard and eliminate the traffic cops there on game nights.
@ Granville & Burrard it will be expensive unless there is contingency that we don't know about. The excavation will have to be "mined".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Hmm, in the long run, when we can't lengthen stations anymore, would it be feasible to widen them? Thus allowing more trains to be in the station at any one moment in time, which means greater frequency of trains. For instance; when there is a station with two platforms for a single direction, and there is a train once every minute and a half, any one train could be in a station for up to three minutes to load and unload before leaving.
Personally, I think this is feasible for Broadway Station when the Safeway is demolished. Not necessarily adding tracks, but adding outside platforms to the station to allow for "one-way" movement into and out of the trains on opposite sides of the train. i.e. doors on the centre platform would open first, allowing passengers to exit and a second later, doors on the outside platform would open, allowing passengers to enter. This would eliminate the face to face combat of entering a train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I totally agree. I think that the proposed alignment will be a big headache for the city of surrey planners.

It cuts thru a park with limited upzoning potential. The attempt to try to swing north to include guildford is awkward and half-hearted, and the turn back to FH is also awkward and leads to a large green belt (limited zoning, i think, ALR? certainly, it is very prone to flooding) before it hits clayton/langley. Certainly, with upzoning around the areas it will be good, but there is a lot more potential for more intense use along KGH.

Disappointed about the lack of DMUs along the southern rail line, but I think there maybe more prep work involved with negotiations with the company for access to the line. I would also think that an announcement about this would also surprise the city of surrey, who i suspect have not done a lot of work to study this, and give the further appearance of the province dictating transit priorities to local communities (i suppose they are, now...). Still, if skytrain went south to newton, that likely would facilitate DMUs along the old intterurban as it could bypass the busier (car-wise) and less-grade separated section of the southern line.
I agree as well, but including Guildford is important. I suspect that the Skytrain extension (wherever it would have gone if it missed Guildford) would delay the 104th Ave LRT, so better now than never.
Hopefully some provision will be included for extending Skytrain south to Newton and the Southern Railway line for a DMU transfer point in future (i.e. a wye switch).

Jared and SFUVancouver make a good point that a new Skytrain storage yard will be required.
Obvious locations are False Creek Flats and UBC Endowment lands (but given the timing, the endowment lands would come on line too late to serve the Expo enhancements, the Surrey extension (and the Evergreen Line if it is Skytrain), which are to be implemented first). False Creek Flats is a viable possibility if it is expedited - it is on the Millennium Line which is more convenient that shuttling trains to and from the Expo Line. There already is a third siding at the end of the tail track west of VCC-Clark Station - that could easily become a ramp for access to from a yard IF property is available in the area (and there's no indication that BNSF would give property up, especially with increased port traffic and the history of prolonged negotiations required for VCC-Clark Station's ROW).
As mentioned by Jared, if the Evergreen line is Skytrain, a yard could be built along Lougheed Highway where the LRT train yard would have been built - that also provides a yard along the Millennium Line.

BTW - Vaughan Palmer is his article today also suggests that given the increased cost, the Evergreen line will be Skytrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Media Release | Jan. 14, 2008
UBC Welcomes Transit Announcement

"UBC will work closely with TransLink and others to plan the UBC Line and ensure that a new station integrates with the new University Boulevard neighbourhood that marks the entrance to the Vancouver campus," Toope said.

- 30 -
You'd think UBC would adopt the YVR funding formula and add a second station in the south campus area to serve its burgeoning residential population. Hopefully that is being considered. Ultimately, does the UBC Skytrain Station need to integrate as a transfer station to/from buses? I suppose if there's one more station at the south campus, but otherwise, who's going to transfer when its the end of the line?

As for the continuing comments on the 40m-50m Canada Line platforms, remember that Richmond is NOT a "growth concentration area" under the Livable Region Strategic Plan, so ridership is forecasted to be well below that on the Expo Line.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta-bc View Post
Here is a quick photoshopped 6-car MkII train...

Please - I hope they buy some middle cars so we can have trains that can be walked through - more capacity - all those end cabs are a waste of space and money

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:42 PM

KL rendering for "C" cars from Bombardier website:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:58 PM

there are several stations that have potential to be redeveloped and lengthened as a p3 project where towers/buildings can be incorporated in to them. Nanaimo with the purchase of a few lots can accommodate a few towers integrated in to the station if Vancouver allows it or if the new Translink has powers like has been hinted to trump the cities decisions around station. Royal Oak station can be a massive redevelopment if the underused lots to the north are rezoned and if they were im sure it wouldn't take long to see something massive. Edmond s can have a few towers if the abandoned rail line to the south is snapped up. 22 nd street station really should be up zoned by New Westminster at least on the station block which would only need a dozen lots purchased if even that...and most of them are being rented out as far as I know so there inst much of a owner attachemnt. This could become another massive project. So theres several stations I think that could be much improved and expanded/rebuilt in a partnership with a developer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:17 PM

The only way I could see the municipalities raising funds would be through a Development Cost levy type scheme - but I don't think they have the legislative authority to impose a fee on a transit-related basis. It may need new legislation.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:28 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The MKIs are still in "married pairs" - they cannot be separated. It may have to do with the motors or electrical systems.

Yeah, way back in the 80s when the Expo Line was built, they said it could be expanded to fit 8-car MKI trains. The guideway splits far enough away from centre platform stations to easily insert additional platform length.
@ Waterfront Station it isn't really underground (it's below the viaducts) so extending the platform there shouldn't be a problem.
@ Stadium, you'd extend it to the east. That would allow stairs down to the GM Place side of Expo Boulevard and eliminate the traffic cops there on game nights.
@ Granville & Burrard it will be expensive unless there is contingency that we don't know about. The excavation will have to be "mined".

Personally, I think this is feasible for Broadway Station when the Safeway is demolished. Not necessarily adding tracks, but adding outside platforms to the station to allow for "one-way" movement into and out of the trains on opposite sides of the train. i.e. doors on the centre platform would open first, allowing passengers to exit and a second later, doors on the outside platform would open, allowing passengers to enter. This would eliminate the face to face combat of entering a train.
Well the Mark I trains can run single - they just would never do such a stupid thing. And we have seen TransLink run five-car Mark I trains in the past, during last year's snowstorm after the SkyTrain breakdown.

Waterfront Station platform can be extended. The walkway between the Sinclair Centre/Waterfront Mall Exit (on the West side) is pretty long and I think it was designed for a platform.

With regards to the Burrard and Granville stations - yes that would be pretty expensive and tough. You cannot extend the platform westwards at Burrard as there an immediate turn, so the only option is East. And also note between Burrard and Granville - it isn't completely straight. There is a slight turn too but I'm not sure where in between.

I like the one-way platform movement. They were thinking of doing that at Metrotown - my first reaction is do it at Broadway first.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Please - I hope they buy some middle cars so we can have trains that can be walked through - more capacity - all those end cabs are a waste of space and money
I can just picture a train with 4 middle cars in it. A-C-C-C-C-B

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:50 PM

I think the Expo line should have been extended down King George HWY with a BRT along KG from 72 to 64, then down 64 to Langley instead of going down Fraser HWY. Coming from someone in Surrey, though I admit i'm far from an urban planner.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:03 PM

They actually ran 6 car MK-I trains during last years snow event.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post

Here we go!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:50 PM
Vancouver Moderator

=D I like it. Nice and long =) Just about 59% of the total length trains in Hong Kong, namely the Kwun Tong, Tsuen Wan, Island, and Tseung Kwan O Lines or just a little longer than the Disneyresort Line

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure