HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:56 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
vancouver 2060, except replace japanese characters with chinese ones of course

in that case, instead of spaghetti we'll say they look like a plate of chow mein.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Was he making those projections based on proportional growth over the last 50 years?

The world's population is expected to top out in the next 50 years. I guess there will still be a flood of people from the overpopulated regions of the world to the relatively sparse.
no it was a discussion and i can't remember the specifics - it was on CBC radio in the 90's

and i think it was a series about the coming millenium and he was predictiing based on his own thoughts and dreams i suppose

but his ideas were right great - he was against sprawl and said we need to densify and go up in order to house what could be a city 5 times the size without expanding the foot print of what we have

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:58 AM

Hmm, in the long run, when we can't lengthen stations anymore, would it be feasible to widen them? Thus allowing more trains to be in the station at any one moment in time, which means greater frequency of trains. For instance; when there is a station with two platforms for a single direction, and there is a train once every minute and a half, any one train could be in a station for up to three minutes to load and unload before leaving.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:00 AM
senior something

well, there's the physical space issue, I'm not how many stations would actually have space to do this. It would be pretty complicated for somewhere like Main Street Station, which runs through a building.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
vancouver 2060, except replace japanese characters with chinese ones of course

Just my guess, but is the pink region on the map the downtown area?

Wouldn't better urban planning have travel over these shorter distances take place on surface transit (such as streetcars) instead of this convoluted subway network that they'd have to dig so many holes and make passengers go down and up so many levels for?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:45 AM
Site 8 Lives

Some of the key lines are actually elevated -- including the red circle, which is a JR loop line. It would take you to many of the key destinations in Tokyo, including Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Ueno.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
i guess this pretty much kills any of our opposition to Gateway....
Yes, and I think that some on here owe Minister Falcon an apology.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Apparently, Derek Corrigan wasn't invited to the announcement and on CKNW, he's saying it's too expensive - that we cannot afford it.
Derek Corrigan has got to be the biggest f*ckup in politics today... (maybe he should run for the NDP leadership).

This comes from the same guy who helped bumble, and fumble away the Olympic Oval, and now doesn't like the cost of this transit deal. How dumb do the citizens of Burnaby have to have been to have voted this obvious nimby moron into office?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Some of the key lines are actually elevated -- including the red circle, which is a JR loop line. It would take you to many of the key destinations in Tokyo, including Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Ueno.
The red circle is the Toei Oedo Line, actually, and it doesn't pass through Shibuya. The JR Yamanote line is the dotted black and white loop line. Ironically, the Oedo line is not elevated and actually contains some of the deepest stations in the whole network. BURN!

All that is true, but at the same time, I am kiiiiind of making fun of all the nerdy internet nitpicking that goes on here, hehe...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i heard that number from some famous architect somewhere

he said Vancouver needs to prepare now and anticipate being a city of 30 million in the future - this was back in the 90's when he said it

and that he said Vancouver could easily become 8-10 million in the next 50 years

and as such we need to put in what is needed and prepare blah blah blah and stop thinkinf we are some little fishing village like some people want to think we are
Did this guy hang out a lot with either or both Marc Emery or Tommy Chong by any chance?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Yes, and I think that some on here owe Minister Falcon an apology.
lol, somebody drag queetz back here. he's the one that's been calling the death threats.

i guess some road capacity is needed, and Gateway is just that. i would think all the opposition against that project helped produce what we saw today.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:06 AM

I was one of the few people on here that liked gateway, being one of the members that has to travel from Horseshoe Bay to Surrey on a reasonably regular basis, and there isn't much of an alternative to driving it. Thats my personal like for it. I also like it because I do think that freight shipping and goods distribution in Vancouver needs to be upgraded dramatically if Vancouver is to continue to prosper.

Now add this 14 billion dollar announcement, and I'm in love with the Liberals again.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Exactly my thoughts... I would like to see one from West Vancouver - North Vancouver - then perhaps to Burnaby. There are many bus routes to go from Northshore to Vancouver Downtown (and vice versa) but not many routes from Vancouver to the rest or the region.
The North Shore should also have gotten something out of it, like a B-Line that combines the present 239 and 130 routes that connect Park Royal, Lonsdale Quay, Phibbs Exchange, PNE, Brentwood, BCIT and Metrotown.

The Gaglardi-Hastings BRT should be extended across the Lions Gate to Park Royal.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:21 AM

Quote:
I would have prefered it go south towards Newton, where it can reach out to both Cloverdale/Langley and S. Surrey/White Rock, and perhaps also one day hook up with a commuter rail line on the Souther Railway line.

What's more, it would help to redirect most of the S. Surrey/White Rock commuter buses towards Skytrain instead of the C-Line, considering the Skytrain is going to be doubled in capacity, whereas the C-Line is stuck with its 40m limits, and without having to squeeze though the bottleneck of the Deas Tunnel.
I totally agree. I think that the proposed alignment will be a big headache for the city of surrey planners.

It cuts thru a park with limited upzoning potential. The attempt to try to swing north to include guildford is awkward and half-hearted, and the turn back to FH is also awkward and leads to a large green belt (limited zoning, i think, ALR? certainly, it is very prone to flooding) before it hits clayton/langley. Certainly, with upzoning around the areas it will be good, but there is a lot more potential for more intense use along KGH.

Disappointed about the lack of DMUs along the southern rail line, but I think there maybe more prep work involved with negotiations with the company for access to the line. I would also think that an announcement about this would also surprise the city of surrey, who i suspect have not done a lot of work to study this, and give the further appearance of the province dictating transit priorities to local communities (i suppose they are, now...). Still, if skytrain went south to newton, that likely would facilitate DMUs along the old intterurban as it could bypass the busier (car-wise) and less-grade separated section of the southern line.

Surprised (pleasantly) about the UBC extention. The evergreen line will be interesting - unless the province outright dictates a route and a mode, I would expect another death match between skytrain vs. LRT proponents..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:29 AM

I also wonder why the Expo Line couldn't have been built a little further south to Surrey Memorial Hospital when it was extended to Surrey in the first place. A hospital should be a priority destination, no?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:34 AM
Dérive-r

Wow, this thread got huge over the last 24 hours, and I haven't even contributed to it yet.

I think this is all amazing news. As has been said, most of it isn't exactly new info but the fact that the Province has now officially shown its support for all these projects I look forward to seeing some actual action start soon. I'm really looking forward to finding out some of the details too, like when the UBC extension will be started/completed, and when some of these rapid bus routes will be implemented.

It'll be really interesting to see where we're at by 2020. While these projects might make up for present demand, the demand in 2020 will likely be all the more stronger after 12 more years of growth and increased access to transit in previously transit-limited areas.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:39 AM
Dérive-r

It is interesting to think that even if we aren't a metro of 8-10 million in 50 years, we could for sure be a metro roughly the size of present-day Toronto (~5 mil). I can barely imagine such a thing... cramming the GTA's population into the footprint of Metro Vancouver! Sounds intense to say the least.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:42 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
I also wonder why the Expo Line couldn't have been built a little further south to Surrey Memorial Hospital when it was extended to Surrey in the first place. A hospital should be a priority destination, no?
ummm the distance from King George Station to Surrey Memorial.....is the same as Sapperton to Royal Columbia........

what do you need Stations in the emergency rooms for you to be happy?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
ummm the distance from King George Station to Surrey Memorial.....is the same as Sapperton to Royal Columbia........
Not according to this map:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...5745&z=14&om=1

It looks to be almost a 1 km walk.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Did this guy hang out a lot with either or both Marc Emery or Tommy Chong by any chance?
Actually, it was Arthur Erickson who said it....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure