HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Province just announced two new revenue streams for municipalities.

They will directly get a portion of the HST and provincial gas tax. Phased in over three years. Municipal operating grants from the province will also be established three years at a time.

Finally.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 2:52 PM

Nice! We could really use an HST transfer here in Ontario. We do have a gas tax transfer but it's not very high (only 2 cents), and it's only allowed to be used on public transit. Which is awesome but means that's the only thing there's dedicated funding for.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:12 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Nice! We could really use an HST transfer here in Ontario. We do have a gas tax transfer but it's not very high (only 2 cents), and it's only allowed to be used on public transit. Which is awesome but means that's the only thing there's dedicated funding for.
And in some municipalities such as Hamilton, we find loopholes so that we can still use it on roads anyway
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
And in some municipalities such as Hamilton, we find loopholes so that we can still use it on roads anyway
How? It's pretty irontight. Among other things it includes a clause that prevents municipalities from using it to cut their municipal subsidy.

It was introduced in 2004. The province took the average municipal subsidy from the 2001, 2002, and 2003 budgets (all three years averaged) of its transit agency, and declared that to be the agency's "baseline municipal funding." This amount, adjusted for inflation every year, is the minimum amount a municipality has to spend on transit to be allowed to quality for ANY provincial grant program.

In other words, municipalities can't allow their municipal subsidy for transit to fall below what it was at the time the gas tax transfer was introduced. If they do, not only do they lose the gas tax money, they disqualify themselves for all provincial grants for everything.

It forced all municipalities to use the money to actually improve transit rather than just cut their municipal funding for it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Your few cents could be worth more to municipalities than our arrangement, though.

A couple more tidbits:

If Municipalities NL and Hospitality NL can agree on a joint proposal for any form of an accommodation tax, the Province will do it. But it will not introduce one that HNL doesn't support.

MNL and the Province are also working on access to income tax, a blended commercial/realty tax, and an increase to the utility tax. Access to crown lands is being simplified for municipalities. And they may take a look at whether it makes sense to have them doing property taxes.

A committee to plan for a regional governance structure is being formed. Until 1888, all of Newfoundland was ruled directly by Parliament. That year, St. John's was allowed to have a council - but without a mayor, led by a chairman appointed directly by Parliament, and only serving in an advisory role. Since Confederation, we've had proper municipal governments. But still nothing like a county or parish or RM. The Province intends to introduce something. It will not replace municipalities but will take over responsibility for regional interests - water, public transit, etc.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Federal gas tax you can use it on any infrastructure related items such as roads and bridges. Whereas with Ontario's provincial gas tax it must be for public transit.

However, starting this year Hamilton is now using all federal gas tax towards public transit, HSR.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 5:43 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
How? It's pretty irontight. Among other things it includes a clause that prevents municipalities from using it to cut their municipal subsidy.

It was introduced in 2004. The province took the average municipal subsidy from the 2001, 2002, and 2003 budgets (all three years averaged) of its transit agency, and declared that to be the agency's "baseline municipal funding." This amount, adjusted for inflation every year, is the minimum amount a municipality has to spend on transit to be allowed to quality for ANY provincial grant program.

In other words, municipalities can't allow their municipal subsidy for transit to fall below what it was at the time the gas tax transfer was introduced. If they do, not only do they lose the gas tax money, they disqualify themselves for all provincial grants for everything.

It forced all municipalities to use the money to actually improve transit rather than just cut their municipal funding for it.
https://raisethehammer.org/article/2...d_construction

"Council decided to spend the monies on roads and bridges, and only after an extended campaign by ward one councillor Brian McHattie, agreed to allocate $3 million a year to the capital budget of the HSR. That division has not changed - over 90 percent to roads and bridges, and the remainder to the HSR.

That allocation is unusual. The federal website on the program reports that "in Canada's six largest cities, almost 90 per cent of the funding goes toward public transit."

The breakdown of spending across the country also puts transit in first place - at 39 percent, with 13 percent to water and 11 percent to sewers, and only 28 percent in the roads category despite the large number of smaller and rural municipalities.

In Ontario, Hamilton is the only large city that spends more than half of its federal gas tax monies on roads and bridges.

Admittedly this may not be exactly the same thing we're talking about, but this is the article I had in my head when I made my last post.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
https://raisethehammer.org/article/2...d_construction

"Council decided to spend the monies on roads and bridges, and only after an extended campaign by ward one councillor Brian McHattie, agreed to allocate $3 million a year to the capital budget of the HSR. That division has not changed - over 90 percent to roads and bridges, and the remainder to the HSR.

That allocation is unusual. The federal website on the program reports that "in Canada's six largest cities, almost 90 per cent of the funding goes toward public transit."

The breakdown of spending across the country also puts transit in first place - at 39 percent, with 13 percent to water and 11 percent to sewers, and only 28 percent in the roads category despite the large number of smaller and rural municipalities.

In Ontario, Hamilton is the only large city that spends more than half of its federal gas tax monies on roads and bridges.

Admittedly this may not be exactly the same thing we're talking about, but this is the article I had in my head when I made my last post.
You're talking about the federal gas tax transfer which can be spent on anything.

I'm referring to the 2 cents provincial gas tax transfer which is sweatered to transit with strict rules ensuring that it goes strictly to transit.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

West Harbour GO Station - May 8, 2015 by Metrolinx, on Flickr

The City of Hamilton is currently in talks with CN to relocate that rail yard pictured above. The plan is to relocate it to where Stelco is located, they closed and are selling the land to Hamilton Port Authority apparently.

So in the next 10 to 20 years that site will be a major site for redevelopment, it'll be a chance to link the downtown to the waterfront with office and residential buildings.

The big empty site on the left next to the yard is where the City originally wanted the stadium located. Now it's a vacant land waiting for development.

BTW the construction site is for a new GO Station in Hamilton, so lots of potentials for residential development.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 2:46 AM
gettin' rich!

Central Waterfront from Sherbourne to Bathurst - all redone.

Queens Quay

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 6:30 AM
gettin' rich!

Looking in the other direction

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:05 PM
I am the law!

It's nice but, lot more hard surfaces than I recall. The only green is provided by some sickly trees. i hope planters and maybe art is still to come. Right now I give it 2 yawns out of four.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:13 PM
gettin' rich!

Give the trees some time to grow. In a year or two it should look super green.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's nice but, lot more hard surfaces than I recall. The only green is provided by some sickly trees. i hope planters and maybe art is still to come. Right now I give it 2 yawns out of four.
They actually took major efforts to ensure the trees will grow to very big and healthy mature trees over time. Right now they're just saplings.

They moved the utilities around to allow for root growth, and planted the trees within silva cells. Furthermore, they deliberately chose species from slightly warmer climate zones (places like the US Midwest), so that they can thrive and grow as climate change makes Toronto warmer.

It's actually a landmark project for urban tree health that should be followed elsewhere.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I actually like it when greenery is used sparingly in public space. My favourite public space of all time was a square in Venice that was all stone except for three trees. It made those three trees that much more special.

I have a feeling that if the trees on Queen's Quay would be in large planter boxes set behind large plants that the place would become much less enjoyable. I think the planters would attract garbage and cigarette butts and the eye-level view would be distracted by all the shrubbery.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:11 PM
gettin' rich!

New Wide Sidewalks on Queens Quay.

Next Up: Yonge Street

Give those trees time to grow.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:23 PM

I like the way the street furniture has been placed to create a sense of separation between the bikes and the sidewalks in a way that seems natural.

Heading to Toronto next month for a weekend; checking out Queen's Quay is on my list.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:18 PM

I've been using it daily to bike home from work. What a difference and in 3-4 years those trees will make a nice canopy over the bike lane. It seems a little confusing for pedestrians crossing the bike paths but if it's as bad as it gets at the moment during the height of tourist season then it's actually not bad at all. they may want to put a few officers down there at intersections June -September on weekends.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:05 PM

Queen's Quay looks great!

What exactly are the plans for Yonge?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:16 PM
gettin' rich!

A rebuild on Yonge is scheduled for another year or two. (With council approval of course)

www.nationalpost.com

www.torontoist.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada