HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Yume is correct the foreign buyer is and always has been a myth, it amounts to ~3-4% of the market.
The best solution I've heard for high prices is also the simplest. Supply+Demand. Since Supply is constrained, we need to reduce demand. The solution is to make Vancouver as undesirable as possible. It would bring prices crashing down quicker then anything. It worked wonders in Detroit. We seem to have a local government that is attempting just that. Of course I'm kidding, but I would love to see a politician who runs on that platform.
Thank You

There is nothing magical about the price of housing in Vancouver. We just don't have the supply to meet the demand.

We either increase the supply through densification or decrease the demand by making this place a crap hole.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 12:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Thank You

There is nothing magical about the price of housing in Vancouver. We just don't have the supply to meet the demand.

We either increase the supply through densification or decrease the demand by making this place a crap hole.
oversimplification - supply may be part of the problem, afterall there's limited land for development in vancouver proper - however, listings have now surpassed the 15000 mark (early. indication that the market is starting to slow)

Vancouver RE has been a perfect storm:

supply and demand

low rates

easy mortgage approval

35 year mortgages

and hype

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 2:48 PM
loafing in lotusland

Never underestimate the power of hype. Sometimes, even hype can't live up to it's own hype.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Never underestimate the power of hype. Sometimes, even hype can't live up to it's own hype.
What a relief

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 5:20 PM

I have actually made a point of not taking part in these state of the market discussions in a while, but I'd like to take the opportunity to direct everyone's attention to posts from early February 2009 (the last time I did):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164520

The discussion on that former thread goes on and on over several months, but you really only need to read the first 3 pages to gain insight into the current discussion here.

You'll basically see essentially the same arguments (or basis of arguments) pigeon holed by the current set of facts. Facts, I hasten to add, that don't appear to be leading to a 50% (or more!) drop in prices during the intervening past year, which was widely touted at the time.

Do also make a special note of the opinionated, but friendly, wagers agreed to be reviewed in July 2010. I look forward to taking a look when the data is in later this summer.

My only points today:

1) Some people seem disappointed the market appears to have stabilized. I find that interesting. Is it really more desirable to imagine property owners in Vancouver losing 10, 20, or even 50% of their home equity . . . be they struggling families or millionaires with a second home?
2) It is spring. Inventory tends to climb this time of year, so I'm having a hard time understanding that is an indicator of anything in itself . . . certainly it's a bit early to build a rational argument around that point . . . it's April, for goodness sakes.
3) Markets go up and down. So, yes, if I continually predict the market will suffer, eventually it will. And if I continually predict the market will boom, it will as well. With that in mind, I find it amusing to see how the arguments from last year to this year have shifted from "exclamations regarding a looming disaster beyond our wildest dreams" (not those exact words but certainly the flavour of the tone) to more rational differences of opinion about the market. I take that in itself as a good sign that the market has stabilized.
4) I have no doubt if the market slows in the coming months, the language will again shift to flashing warnings about a collapse of biblical proportions looming just beyond the horizon. Likewise, if the market improves or simply stabilizes, we'll continue to read posts about how "unsustainable" it all is.

I wasn't going to actually offer my opinion on the current state, but feel I should since I decided to speak. So, as for my opinion on the state of the market today, I think we've had the recovery we're going to have, as evidenced in the report that launched this thread. The recovery back to near pre-recessionary levels was faster than I had expected. For this reason, I think the rest of the year may be pretty flat for housing. Activity will be stable, and prices won't change much either way from where they are today. Improvements in the economy will be offset by the widely expected marginal increases in mortgage rates (that have already begun). Governments will be sensitive not to disrupt the housing recovery (hence all the advance warning being filtered out). But activity will slow marginally from the accelerated market of the past several months due to gradually increasing interest rates.

This is my opinion . . . I don't have any specially produced banners to wave on the matter. It is also my opinion that some of the folks taking part in this discussion do, which is why I don't tend to like these topics. I'd rather talk about parks and buildings and transit plans .

Carry on . . .

Last edited by johnjimbc; Apr 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
oversimplification - supply may be part of the problem, afterall there's limited land for development in vancouver proper - however, listings have now surpassed the 15000 mark (early. indication that the market is starting to slow)

Vancouver RE has been a perfect storm:

supply and demand

low rates

easy mortgage approval

35 year mortgages

and hype
I was going to post that the number of houses for sale on the market has increased in the past month or so.

But the increase in houses for sale as a lot to do with the fact that some people are trying to sell their home before the HST and higher mortgage rates kick in. I've noticed more houses in my area for sale lately as well.

What I do find funny is how when some people see someone putting a house up for sale. They also think about putting their house up for sale. When all you are doing is flooding the market with a higher supply. So selling at the same time as your neighbour is the worst time to sell. You may not get the maximum value you could if you were to sell when no one else is selling in your area.

While it may seem like the supply/demand rule is an oversimplification of the higher house prices. It is is by far the biggest contributer to it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
I have actually made a point of not taking part in these state of the market discussions in a while, but I'd like to take the opportunity to direct everyone's attention to posts from early February 2009 (the last time I did):

The discussion on that former thread goes on and on over several months, but you really only need to read the first 3 pages to gain insight into the current discussion here.

You'll basically see essentially the same arguments (or basis of arguments) pigeon holed by the current set of facts. Facts, I hasten to add, that don't appear to be leading to a 50% (or more!) drop in prices during the intervening past year, which was widely touted at the time.

Do also make a special note of the opinionated, but friendly, wagers agreed to be reviewed in July 2010. I look forward to taking a look when the data is in later this summer.

My only points today:

1) Some people seem disappointed the market appears to have stabilized. I find that interesting. Is it really more desirable to imagine property owners in Vancouver losing 10, 20, or even 50% of their home equity . . . be they struggling families or millionaires with a second home?
2) It is spring. Inventory tends to climb this time of year, so I'm having a hard time understanding that is an indicator of anything in itself . . . certainly it's a bit early to build a rational argument around that point . . . it's April, for goodness sakes.
3) Markets go up and down. So, yes, if I continually predict the market will suffer, eventually it will. And if I continually predict the market will boom, it will as well. With that in mind, I find it amusing to see how the arguments from last year to this year have shifted from "exclamations regarding a looming disaster beyond our wildest dreams" (not those exact words but certainly the flavour of the tone) to more rational differences of opinion about the market. I take that in itself as a good sign that the market has stabilized.
4) I have no doubt if the market slows in the coming months, the language will again shift to flashing warnings about a collapse of biblical proportions looming just beyond the horizon. Likewise, if the market improves or simply stabilizes, we'll continue to read posts about how "unsustainable" it all is.

I wasn't going to actually offer my opinion on the current state, but feel I should since I decided to speak. So, as for my opinion on the state of the market today, I think we've had the recovery we're going to have, as evidenced in the report that launched this thread. The recovery back to near pre-recessionary levels was faster than I had expected. For this reason, I think the rest of the year may be pretty flat for housing. Activity will be stable, and prices won't change much either way from where they are today. Improvements in the economy will be offset by the widely expected marginal increases in mortgage rates (that have already begun). Governments will be sensitive not to disrupt the housing recovery (hence all the advance warning being filtered out). But activity will slow marginally from the accelerated market of the past several months due to gradually increasing interest rates.

This is my opinion . . . I don't have any specially produced banners to wave on the matter. It is also my opinion that some of the folks taking part in this discussion do, which is why I don't tend to like these topics. I'd rather talk about parks and buildings and transit plans .

Carry on . . .
I'm with you on your appeasement of the future of house prices. I just don't see a major crash coming. But I do see a stabilization of the house prices. It might drop slightly depending on the area, but nothing drastic.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:40 PM

We go through the same cycle every year in both Calgary and Vancouver.... and everywhere else, for that matter.

More houses for sale in the Spring, prices going up, houses sell really fast... "IT'S UNSTABLE!!!"

Prices settling in the Summer, houses take longer to sell.... "THE COLLAPSE IS INEVITABLE!!"

Prices staying steady in the Fall, the number of listings drop, houses usually take quite awhile to sell "SWEET BABY JESUS HERE IT COMES!"

The market freezes over in the Winter, the amount of sales and listings drop, it's very hard to sell, "THE END IS NEAR!"

Prices continue going up in the Spring, with more houses being put on the market, and selling at a fast pace "IT'S UNSTABLE!!"

It gets tiring explaining the same cycle every year for the last 40 years

But here we go; Spring is the time with the most houses on the market. People enjoy moving over Summer, when their child is not in school.

That said, I agree with johnjimbc, who usually takes the role of the reasonable person. And, he's reasonable again here, too. We could use a little hysteria from you some day

It's not impossible, but it would be very hard to have the same sort of economic collapse / failure as was seen in America. I think we're safe

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 2:02 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

My opinion for Vancouver proper is that prices "might fall" 5-10% over the next 12-18months before regaining and even surpassing current highs in the following 12months. I expect over the next 3-4yrs for homes to be pretty stable with not much change from current prices.
I keep hearing stories about people buying to beat the HST, it doesn't make much sense to me as HST only applies to new builds not existing stock which is practically the whole market. There is very little new stock entering the supply side right now and historically little is in the pipeline, that in itself will keep prices from falling much.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 6:45 AM

Quote:

My only points today:

Carry on . . .
Well, I was one of those arguing for a market meltdown, and I can't remember if I called for the correction to have been well under way by the summer of the fall of 2010. As of the fall of 2008, over the previous 9 months prices real estate prices had fallen by about 15%, which amounts to an annual rate of 20%. This was a steeper rate of decline than any other city in North America--Miami and Phoenix included--had suffered during the first 9 months of their respective declines. Then, the Harper government came to the rescue via interest rate policy and the CMHC.

I'm still calling for a massive drop in real estate prices in Vancouver, and johnhimbc's post may have been the ultimate contrarian indicator akin to the June 13, 2005 Time magazine cover.

I currently feel like I did in late February, 2000. In late December of that year I knew that the Nasdaq was way overpriced, so I but a whole lot of index puts. Well, anyone who was following the market back then knows that between January 1st and Mid-March of 2000 the Nasdaq went up from about 3,000 to 5,000 in a blow-off top. Then it crashed, losing over 70% of its value over the next couple of years.

What we have been witnessing in Vancouver is a blow-off top, prompted by many factors, but the most important of which is changing mortgage requirements set out by the CMHC, which began on April 19th.

For those of you arguing that Vancouver real estate prices will be stable going forward, you may want to ask yourselves if there is any other city in the world that has managed to maintain real estate values when i) price-to-rent ratios are north of 400, and ii) price-to-income ratios are almost 10.

As for supply, there is more than enough supply and we've begun to see it being listed. This game is only beginning. I, for one, can afford to wait. I'm currently renting a place for less than half what it would cost to own it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
Well, I was one of those arguing for a market meltdown, and I can't remember if I called for the correction to have been well under way by the summer of the fall of 2010. As of the fall of 2008, over the previous 9 months prices real estate prices had fallen by about 15%, which amounts to an annual rate of 20%. This was a steeper rate of decline than any other city in North America--Miami and Phoenix included--had suffered during the first 9 months of their respective declines. Then, the Harper government came to the rescue via interest rate policy and the CMHC.

I'm still calling for a massive drop in real estate prices in Vancouver, and johnhimbc's post may have been the ultimate contrarian indicator akin to the June 13, 2005 Time magazine cover.

I currently feel like I did in late February, 2000. In late December of that year I knew that the Nasdaq was way overpriced, so I but a whole lot of index puts. Well, anyone who was following the market back then knows that between January 1st and Mid-March of 2000 the Nasdaq went up from about 3,000 to 5,000 in a blow-off top. Then it crashed, losing over 70% of its value over the next couple of years.

What we have been witnessing in Vancouver is a blow-off top, prompted by many factors, but the most important of which is changing mortgage requirements set out by the CMHC, which began on April 19th.

For those of you arguing that Vancouver real estate prices will be stable going forward, you may want to ask yourselves if there is any other city in the world that has managed to maintain real estate values when i) price-to-rent ratios are north of 400, and ii) price-to-income ratios are almost 10.

As for supply, there is more than enough supply and we've begun to see it being listed. This game is only beginning. I, for one, can afford to wait. I'm currently renting a place for less than half what it would cost to own it.
I don't know where those houses where that dropped 15% over 9 months. But I can say it sure as hell wasn't in my neighbourhood.

What I do find funny about price to rent ratios is how it is implied that when the ratio gets too high. The price of housing must drop. What about the reverse scenario and the price of rent actually increasing. In other words it goes both ways.

As for the price to income ratio. I do feel people are just using creative ways to pay the mortgage.

All I can say is if you are hoping the market will crash so that you can walk in and get something cheap. You maybe still waiting in your grave.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 6:28 PM

I'll refresh your memory, Mrjauk. You should really go into politics, as selective memory sadly sems to rank high on the list of qualifications. You could also have taken the time to read the first few pages of the thread link in my first comment. It was all right there.

Here’s what I said in Feb 2009:

Quote:
I project modest declines this year - 15% to 20% - and a more balance market next year (meaning not necessarily any notable increases to value but no further declines either). I believe the housing market will revive as the global economy begins to recover - note the word I used is "revive," not "boom."
And here’s what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
As for exact projections, it's hard to tell, but I predict that real prices, by the end of 2010 (given seasonal fluctuations in real estate prices, July is often the peak for the year) will be down 50% from the peak of April 2008. If I'm wrong, I'll send $100 dollars to your favourite charity.
In an earlier discussion prior to the ones pointed out in my linked thread, I recall you had indicated at least a 50% collapse from the peak, possibly as high as 70%. But when push came to shove, you scaled-back your position to the 50% collapse quoted above.

Now I suspect you’re still rooting for economic disaster for the Vancouver area, which explains your apparent dismay that financial policies were adjusted last year to respond to the global economic situation. It must have hurt you profoundly when interest rates fell. How dare pesky regulators step in to respond to financial instability threatening the local, provincial, federal, and even global economies. I’ll keep your total laissez-faire philosophy assumptions in mind when reading your future predictions.

Your zealotry also explains why my rather lukewarm assessment of the current market is greeted with derision.

I mean, really, referencing a cover of Time magazine depicting a cartoon figure squeezing his house with the headline “Home $weet Home: Why we’re going gaga over real estate.” That’s how you equate my assessment last year of a 15% to 20% fall in prices last year followed by a recovery that would merely parallel the worldwide economic recovery? That’s how you receive my current statement that housing prices had recovered FASTER than I thought they would and my expectation that sales will be relatively FLAT for the remainder of the year? In your looking-glass world, those statements relegate someone as a snake oil salesman preaching the glories of an eternal real estate boom? You must go apoplectic when you meet a true advocate for the philosophy that real estate is the path to wealth.

For the record, I have always believed real estate purchases should essentially be viewed as one option for people to consider as a place to live . . . and then only if the finances work for the individual or family in question. Anything beyond that is purely speculative, in my mind, be it a tiny vacation cabin or a true investment purchase. I also recognize that people can lose money on their primary homes, though I also see that those losses would be somewhat offset by the amount they would have spent on alternative housing, which is why a home purchase should be included when considering options.

Moreover, I don’t actually like seeing boom and bust periods in real estate. I feel it destabilizes communities. But I’m also a realist, who recognizes some markets are more expensive than others. I have a pretty strong suspicion it’s been that way for a long time, in a variety of societies going back to prehistoric eras. Vancouver is a desirable place to live, and to visit.

You use selective facts as a blunt object to bludgeon any opinion that deviates from your own. You actually seem rather angry about the subject. I can pretty much say that you and a couple of other posters here are the reason I don’t usually have the time or energy to take part in these real estate discussions. The few times I’ve actually offered my opinion, you appear, ready to pounce. It gets old fast.

This little exchange is no different, so I’ll end now with the same words I closed with back in February 2009:

Quote:
Until then, you can continue to produce diatribes. But I'm done. We've already had this discussion once before. It's as tiresome this time as it was last time.
Have fun everyone. I need to get back to work.

Last edited by johnjimbc; Apr 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:38 AM

Real estate roller coaster video warns of bubble

Check out the following video from YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/v/hqOn5XEm86A

Quote:
The roller coaster begins in 1975 then slowly rises before dropping for the next few years. The coaster ascends from 1979 to 1981, then plummets again before racing up and down until the real estate boom of the last decade. The video ends with the coaster leveling out in 2009 high above the Vancouver skyline. As it moves into the future, it plummets into Burrard Inlet.

"Vancouver Real Estate is the only coaster that's best to exit at the top," the video says. "And buying at the wrong time can quickly find you underwater."

The anonymous creator of the video, who also runs the website vancouvercondo.info, created the video using an online roller coaster simulator program. He was inspired by a similar video that tracked US real estate prices.

The blogger said the video was designed to illustrate that, despite what some investors might think, real estate prices don't always go up.

"Some people seem to truly believe that Vancouver is a special market where house prices can rise indefinitely without concurrent increases in rents and incomes," he told ctvbc.ca.

"Record low interest rates and CMHC-backed mortgage policy has created an environment of rising prices that is financially risky to extrapolate for those stretching to buy before interest rates return to historical norms."

Tsur Somerville, Director of the UBC Centre for Urban Economics and Real Estate at Sauder School of Business, said the video does a good job illustrating the risks inherent to the real estate market.

"The only thing I had a problem with is that [it implies] what really is going to happen is we're going to fall off the roller coaster and sink into the water," Somerville told ctvbc.ca.

"Investments are volatile. If you want low volatility then buy low-volatility GICs."

Last week, The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver reported that the benchmark price for all residential properties in April was $593,419, an 18.9 per cent increase over this time last year.

This isn't the first time that someone has used the web to illustrate Vancouver's wacky real estate market. Vancouver's Petr Postisil recently created the website Crack Shack or Mansion?, which asks users to distinguish overpriced local real estate from suspected drug dens.
Source: CTV http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...ritishColumbia]

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 5:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The silly game mentioned in the above article is at http://www.crackshackormansion.com/

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
The silly game mentioned in the above article is at http://www.crackshackormansion.com/
While at first a person might be concerned when they see that, you then sit back and realize it doesn't take in to account the land value of where the alleged crack shack is.

Example, there are old dilapidated, abandoned, houses in Calgary that happen to be in the Victoria Park area, near the river, downtown, in an area prime for re-development and there was a time when they were being bought for $1 million each.

Technically this delightful "fixer upper" in Calgary is likely worth at least $750,000 currently, and more in the past.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherlock77/202304567/

There are plenty more examples in pretty much every city that exists. But that would be excessive to list here...

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 5:51 AM

Is it just me, or did the market dramatically slow down about 3 weeks ago? Everything in my neighbourhood was flying off the shelf in Q1, but it seems like nothing has sold lately. Mind you, the amount of available properties seems to have doubled.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:19 AM

There are *a lot* of properties on the market, currently. But, this happens every Spring / Summer, as there are also a lot more buyers.

People like to move when it's not cold / pouring rain.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Is it just me, or did the market dramatically slow down about 3 weeks ago? Everything in my neighbourhood was flying off the shelf in Q1, but it seems like nothing has sold lately. Mind you, the amount of available properties seems to have doubled.
I was thinking the same thing. Been watching a few condo buildings around town. Listing counts are up and, at the same time, asking prices have gotten even more greedy and without merit, if that's possible. It's not even worth going to look at prospective units anymore.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:38 PM

New rules regarding financing went into effect April 19th (I think that was it). We should see some slowdown from that. Also the HST is looming, although the overall effect on housing is not big (and not well understood by the general public).

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Been watching a few condo buildings around town. Listing counts are up and, at the same time, asking prices have gotten even more greedy and without merit, if that's possible. It's not even worth going to look at prospective units anymore.
Welcome to every Spring ever. After awhile, the trends of the real estate market really should stop surprising people, you'd think.

Spring is not, and never will be, a "buyers time" to buy. Of course, it's the "preferred" time, and the market takes advantage of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion