HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
I think that pretty reasonable. I forget how it works but theres some sort of association that owns a lot of the property in Ctown that is problematic. The city wants to revatalize the area by converting vacant spaces above stores.
I thought it was the other way around - that a lot of the historic buildings are own by individual 'benevolent' societies so it's been much more difficult in buying up large tracts of buildings.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 4:16 PM
Community Guy

^exactly.

Not to mention parts of Burnaby.

Chinatown and area is more a hub of import/export, restaurants, small businesses, support agencies, and a kitchen sink.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 4:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

From my Van/Rich days (1994-1998), I loved Chinatown, but hated the seediness of immediate areas; moreover, the creeps and bums from DTES. As for Richmond, the transformation has been radical...there just wasn't much there in the mid 90s excepting a few restaurants, Yaohan and Parker Place.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 9:56 PM

richmond has all the big temples though

we don't need chinatown either cause just look at victoria drive for one its probably 90% chinese shops - some cities would call that "china town"

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:27 AM

in the 50's

vancouverisawesome.com

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:38 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^outstanding photo. What a great find!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:17 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Wonder when it stopped being a one way st.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:44 AM
Cheers!

Regarding the signage for that 50s pic... I can't remember the last time I've had Chop Suey, let alone seen it on a Chinese restaurant menu. A lot more options these days I guess.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 8:42 AM

Chinatown is nostalgia. I think of any North American city, Vancouver's Chinatown(s) are among the most irrelevant. Vancouver's Chinese population is basically everywhere, and so are the goods and services normally associated with Chinatown.

Don't get me wrong, Chinatown is a wonderful place, but it is also a symbol of ghettoization and segregation. Chinese, like the Japanese, Aboriginals and Blacks in Vancouver have also experienced this but in different ways. That the Chinese were able to persevere through this (relatively) with the success of their 'ghetto' is an interesting and worthy cultural story. This is what makes Chinatown special.

The thing that made a REAL Chinatown is that it's like an oasis community. People lived there because they had to, or had little choice to live or be an accepted member of society elsewhere. That's why Richmond doesn't really qualify as a chinatown in my mind -- it's not merely about a concentration of Chinese businesses.

So Vancouver's Chinatown of the future, will need to be very different than it was in the past. We'll never see the Chinatown of the past.

I think the city has the right idea... make Chinatown a higher density mixed-use neighbourhood. To keep its character, there should be provisions that make it more desireable for cultural and arts organizations to locate there. Heritage status on architecture and support for cultural activities traditional and new alike.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:05 AM

I think Chinatown should return to its roots, like in that photo. The street looks inviting, open, fun and safe. The current Pender is dark, and boring. The trees even block the view of the Sun building. All the amazing neon signs, trying to outdo each other, have been replaced with dingy, claustrophobic awnings. That picture is in the evening and the place looks happening. When I walk down Pender at night now, it feels like I'm walking down the alley between Howe and Hornby.

Bahhh...

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I thought it was the other way around - that a lot of the historic buildings are own by individual 'benevolent' societies so it's been much more difficult in buying up large tracts of buildings.
that's what I mean

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
that's what I mean
Benevolent societies exist for the benefit of clan members not to turn over assets for a quick buck or three.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Benevolent societies exist for the benefit of clan members not to turn over assets for a quick buck or three.
I dunno if they can continue to exist. I've visited the membership at the one that my late-grandfather belonged to. It's still pretty large but I don't see any members coming from my generation or even my father's generation. I don't see how they can survive once most of the current membership passes away.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I dunno if they can continue to exist. I've visited the membership at the one that my late-grandfather belonged to. It's still pretty large but I don't see any members coming from my generation or even my father's generation. I don't see how they can survive once most of the current membership passes away.
People often join those associations late in life, although the language (or lack thereof) can be an issue, if you don't speak the dialect it would be tough.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion