HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:43 AM

$5 million footbridge delayed, By Jon Willing,Ottawa Sun, First posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012
A $5-million pedestrian bridge over the Airport Pkwy. won’t be completed any time soon since an engineering report on potential problems with the work isn’t expected for another month.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/18/...bridge-delayed

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
$5 million footbridge delayed, By Jon Willing,Ottawa Sun, First posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012
A $5-million pedestrian bridge over the Airport Pkwy. won’t be completed any time soon since an engineering report on potential problems with the work isn’t expected for another month.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/18/...bridge-delayed
I picked up a friend about a month or so ago from the airport and when we drove by it he thought it was some form of public art...
I hope the city has insurance on it so replacement/fixing will have little to no cost.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:54 PM

We talked about the overpass this morning. What a disgrace that the builder did not use the correct concrete for the project. This sounds like incompetence.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:23 PM

it still makes no sense to me why we're building this bridge to South Keys without connecting it to the OTrain, just so silly!
PS, the comments under that Sun article are precious; I imagine that S-Man will be framing a couple of them for his wall of shame.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 11:27 PM

Not so fast - I was going to read it but passed it over sinply due to not wanting to spoil my day with the vitriol poured out over anything pedestrian-y and transit-y in the Ottawa Sun. A recent commenter complained that transit was a communist idea, and that there would be more money for private vehicles if we didn't have transit costs on our taxes.

Apparently, to the tune of $8,000 to $12,000, because that's the actual cost of vehicle ownership per year.

Anyway, I was wondering why there hadn't been progress on that bridge I've been seeing on the airport parkway. Why it wouldn't connect to the transit station, I can't imagine. Oh well, at least it AIDS access to transit!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:50 PM

Strandherd-Armstrong bridge contractor in receivership

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ng-bridge.html

Last edited by kilroy; Mar 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM. Reason: title added

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ng-bridge.html
Bad week for bridge projects....

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:46 PM

Man, that must be a real bitch for the Barrhaven councillors to deal with. First it was mythical for years, now the bridge might stay half-realized!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
it still makes no sense to me why we're building this bridge to South Keys without connecting it to the OTrain, just so silly!
I agree, it would have made more sense to connect to Greenboro Station.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:24 PM

Quote:
I agree, it would have made more sense to connect to Greenboro Station.
Isn't extending the O-Train to the bridge at South Keys easier than extending the bridge to the O-train at Greenboro?
If the bridge were aligned with Greenboro Station it would be at the very northern edge of the neighbourhood west of the AirportParkway, whereas the bridge's actual location looks to me to be is a bit more central making it more accessible.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Isn't extending the O-Train to the bridge at South Keys easier than extending the bridge to the O-train at Greenboro?
If the bridge were aligned with Greenboro Station it would be at the very northern edge of the neighbourhood west of the AirportParkway, whereas the bridge's actual location looks to me to be is a bit more central making it more accessible.
You maybe right (if and when the O-train is extended to South Keys), but there's not much difference.
The pedestrian path under construction from South Keys to Cahill Dr. is far from a straight line anyway, and is not covered or enclosed.
It will make for an unpleasant walk on cold rainy wintry days.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
You maybe right (if and when the O-train is extended to South Keys),
that was the point I was trying to make, extending the O-Train to South Keys should have been an integral part of this project from day one.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
that was the point I was trying to make, extending the O-Train to South Keys should have been an integral part of this project from day one.
It was my friend. But remember that the LRT plan was scrapped. So we are implementing the plan piece by piece without LRT. The Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, this pedestrian overpass, the Leitrim Park n' Ride and the Park 'n Ride at Riverside South were all part of the cancelled N-S project.

To those wanting to build at Greenboro instead, exactly where would the pathway go? Cahill is the only open connection on the west side as far as I know and as shown on the map, it is quite central to the community. Also remember that it is the Transitway that is the most popular rapid transit route. And why would it need to be covered? Are we that soft, that walking outside is too forbidding. Once you hit Cahill West, you are going to be outside anyway.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:21 PM
Awesome!

Bronson Ave will be closed for 8 months for construction starting this week. More trucks for King Edward looks like.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Bronson Ave will be closed for 8 months for construction starting this week. More trucks for King Edward looks like.
Are they doing streetscaping on it?

I would also narrow that section of Bronson to 2 lanes with trucks banned at all times.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Are they doing streetscaping on it?

I would also narrow that section of Bronson to 2 lanes with trucks banned at all times.
Bronson will be closed from Catherine to Somerset until December.

As for streetscaping... according to the City's website: "Streetscaping, landscape and surficial features consistent with Traditional Mainstreets (planters, trees, unit pavers, colors, furniture etc…)" - so nothing special

Sidewalks will be a minimum of 2m wide where they are less than 2m right now.
The 4 lane roadway will be kept (which I agree with as oppose to narrowing it to 2).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:21 PM
National Capital Region

Bank Street widening EA - Leitrim to Rideau
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planni...k_ea/index.htm

jockvale widening display boards
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planni.../oh2/index.htm

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:47 PM
National Capital Region

What a mess of a route. Look at the way it comes down from the bridge on the east side.

Here we have a classic case of not doing enough planning early enough. In fact, we have two examples at once.

The pedestrian bridge from Cahill over the parkway should have been planned at the same time as the stormwater management ponds. That existing pedestrian bridge is in the wrong place compared to where the new pedestrian bridge over the parkway has to be located (I gather there is a grading issue on the west side that is difficult to resolve any other way - it becomes the controlling constraint). Imagine if the path from the station continued westwards from the three-way intersection just east of the upper pond across a bridge at a narrowed pond and then continued on to the end of the overpass of the parkway.

The other example extends way back to when the South Keys Station was built. You can see that there was an old underpass of the rail line that has been used for years (with an informal path up to the southbound platform) and is being removed. It would have been trivial for the station's own underpass to line up with that underpass, which would have created a pedestrian connection ages earlier and one that would be more convenient now. That's essentially what was done at the Longfields Station in Barrhaven.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 9:33 PM

Still nothing going on at South Keys pedestrian bridge.
Still waiting for report on the concrete problem.

I still wish this (future) overpass would be covered, like the overpasses at Woodroffe (Algonquin), Blair, Billings Bridge, etc...
But it will not, as if on purpose to inconvenience the users...

Last edited by eltodesukane; Apr 2, 2012 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post

Here is how I would design the area. It really transforms the whole south end...
I'm sorry, but if by "transform" you mean "turn into a hellish highway wasteland" then I think you're bang on.

I hope nothing like this ever happens.

If we want to make our city more livable, building big ugly flyover ramps all over the place is exactly the way NOT to go about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation