HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 9:45 PM

Couldn't find a thread for The Lovejoy, so I'll post it here. From the NW corner of the block.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 9:53 PM

Pearl construction pictures

Couldn't find individual threads for these projects so I'm putting them here. All pics from today.

[edit] Castillonis pointed out that you can find old threads easy via a google search within SSP
example of google search terms:
"site:forum.skyscraperpage.com encore" (just take out the quotes when searching) [/edit]

The Encore:

Pearl Waterfront:

Machine Works:

Deschutes Brewery: They are replacing the roof right now on the old Jim Steven's Autobody building across from the Armory. You can actually see the crane for 937 through the hole in the roof in this picture.

Tanner Springs Goldfish: Read an article about the fish in the park here and snapped a pic while I was out and about today: http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...66932545562700

Last edited by Pearl_Steve; Sep 27, 2007 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 10:31 PM

Nice photos Steve

Nice photos steve

In regard to the pond photo and the Tribune article;
too bad the pond will stink with the loose rocks and fish's nitrogenous waste. Oxygen deficient pockets lead to non aerobic metabolic pathways which yield hydrogen sulfide in this case. Stinky

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 10:56 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

They could add a small bubbling aerator... some snails... and some tadpoles.

However, if I were a fish, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled at swimming around in street runoff water.

Quote:
University of Oregon’s announcement that its School of Architecture and Allied Arts will add degrees in product design.
This seems like a big deal.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

hmm, thought it was going to be much taller.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 11:33 PM

The flying roof looks bad to me. It accentuates the squatness of the building. Maybe if it had a rooftop garden and deck and there was a bunch of greenery up there...

I do like the way the dark brown looks from the far-away north side of the Broadway bridge, though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 12:29 AM

Isn't there another (taller) tower planned?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:06 AM

hey speaking of the deschutes brewery... or actually the armory building across the street - anyone know what's up with the "linear park" along davis? seems to have stalled months ago.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:10 AM

all the renderings in the window at the sales office show another taller building planned next to this one.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
hey speaking of the deschutes brewery... or actually the armory building across the street - anyone know what's up with the "linear park" along davis? seems to have stalled months ago.
I read somewhere (forgot where) that it had stalled because the stone that the architect had picked was too expensive and because of the Armory itself costing more to run each year than anticipated they had to scale back to a less expensive stone that has to be shipped in, and they are waiting for the stone to arrive.

That being said the Armory itself opened a year ago so you'd think they would have had this all figured out by now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:15 PM

There was a story a few days ago about the theater company...doing better than ever with income although expenses have doubled and fundraising is slow. Little new money in recent months. On the one hand they said they might still finish the park this year...or maybe not.

If they can't do it fine...just build a normal sidewalk rather than leaving the scar park.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
A preliminary concept plan is expected to be completed by mid-August, Lozovoy said.
Did anyone ever catch this last month?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:26 AM

lol look how they spelled bridge

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 2:32 AM

I have a more detail and recent site plan for the park although don't know how to post it. The above plan is generally close to the latest design.

I hear that the design team might move ahead late October after they meet with developers for Cent. Mill...with construction start in June or July 2008.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 3:06 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I like this one, although it means the boardwalk won't align with the 3 previous blocks to the south (which are on the east side of the blocks).

Metropolitan Tower included a boardwalk element to match those of Jamison Sq and Tanner Springs - same design and material. Looks stunning, as you could imagine.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:21 AM

This plan is interesting and Cheryl is a good landscape architect...that said this is a pretty lame design for this site. It virtually ignors it's setting and context. The boardwalk just slams into their site with no extension or good termination, there is little in the way of response to pettygrove, quimby or raleigh streets to the west...the site plan just seems like it's something cool and in isolation.

I liked Pete Walkers plan...it was much stronger in my view, respected the city grid and linked all three parks in a powerful way...while they were still unique. Of the three parks I think Jamison is the strongest. The Fields will probably be pretty although not so relevant.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 7:35 PM

Hey Mike, The Pearl Safeway is actually a mixed use tower that includes parking and office space, and is being built in conjuction with it's sister tower, The Lovejoy. This thread should probably move into the main Portland thread.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 5:07 AM

Is there any news or new pics of this project?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 5:34 AM

from the freeway, at least, it looks almost finished. the developer recently submitted an application to build 5-story apartments in the space between the townhomes and naito.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:20 PM

*bump*

This is an example of the kind of long-running district-wide conversation sort of thread that it sucks to lose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland